ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville YX12  (Read 9499 times)

Jason Gooden

Yorkville YX12
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »

Has anybody used the YX12 as a "mains" speaker and not just for monitors? I am looking for some new cabinets in this price range for a smaller rig. I know these will be lite in the lower frequencies, but when full range is required I will likely supliment them with 2-4 UCS1(s).

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:30:53 PM by Jason Gooden »

Glenn A Williams

Re: Yorkville YX12
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

Has anybody used the YX12 as a "mains" speaker and not just for monitors? I am looking for some new cabinets in this price range for a smaller rig. I know these will be lite in the lower frequencies, but when full range is required I will likely supliment them with 2-4 UCS1(s).

Thanks,
Jason

At 122 db max SPL, I would not think that these are good for more than 50 ppl, and 122 db is theoretical. Run at half power to keep them clean you get down to 119 db and probably lose another 3 db over that in reality. 116 db@1m, 110 db@ 2m, 104 db@ 4m and 98 db@ 8m means that by the time you get to 50 ft you are actually down to 92 db.

I have been at rehearsal rooms in basements using these speakers and they are barely adequate under those circumstances.

These will be "lite" at any frequency in a live band FOH situation.

I have among the many speakers that I own, some EV Force monitors with similar output numbers,(123 db max SPL). They were the first monitors that I ever bought and only 28 lbs each.

I also used to use them for house parties and DJing small Weddings less than 100-120  ppl with a pair of subs. I bought them for less than $600.00 for all 4 of them.

They have been replaced in usage by 4 MRX512ms. I let my son use a pair of the EVs for his house parties powered by an old Yamaha PD2500,(250 rms@ 8 ohms) and a pair of subs powered by an old Soundtech PS1300 at 450 rms@ 8 ohms.

I have owned them for ten years and used them as a FOH main speaker with prerecorded music. You will be very limited with the YX12, even if you used only one USC1.

My advice if you really want a small rig is to buy a pair of EV SX300s used in good condition which output close to 129 db max SPL and weigh 32 lbs, rather than throwing away your money on new Yorkvilles YX12s that you will regret buying.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:17:09 PM by Glenn A Williams »

Rob Gow

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »

I use YX12's as my monitors, with no complaints, and I've used a pair as FOH for a small open mic thing in a lounge, but I think they would be too small to use with a full band.

Jason Gooden

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »

At 122 db max SPL, I would not think that these are good for more than 50 ppl, and 122 db is theoretical. Run at half power to keep them clean you get down to 119 db and probably lose another 3 db over that in reality. 116 db@1m, 110 db@ 2m, 104 db@ 4m and 98 db@ 8m means that by the time you get to 50 ft you are actually down to 92 db.

I have been at rehearsal rooms in basements using these speakers and they are barely adequate under those circumstances.

These will be "lite" at any frequency in a live band FOH situation.

I have among the many speakers that I own, some EV Force monitors with similar output numbers,(123 db max SPL). They were the first monitors that I ever bought and only 28 lbs each.

I also used to use them for house parties and DJing small Weddings less than 100-120  ppl with a pair of subs. I bought them for less than $600.00 for all 4 of them.

They have been replaced in usage by 4 MRX512ms. I let my son use a pair of the EVs for his house parties powered by an old Yamaha PD2500,(250 rms@ 8 ohms) and a pair of subs powered by an old Soundtech PS1300 at 450 rms@ 8 ohms.

I have owned them for ten years and used them as a FOH main speaker with prerecorded music. You will be very limited with the YX12, even if you used only one USC1.

My advice if you really want a small rig is to buy a pair of EV SX300s used in good condition which output close to 129 db max SPL and weigh 32 lbs, rather than throwing away your money on new Yorkvilles YX12s that you will regret buying.

I use YX12's as my monitors, with no complaints, and I've used a pair as FOH for a small open mic thing in a lounge, but I think they would be too small to use with a full band.

Thank you both for the replys and information. Currently we are using an old pair of Peavey 112Hs for small stuff so I was hoping that almost anything would be an upgrade, but I am getting the feeling that I should really look into something else (not a lot of experience in this price range.)

Besides the suggested EV SX300s is there anything else that comes to mind that I should consider? I am trying to help someone else put this together and as always they are on a really tight budget. Trying to stay as close to $200.00 a cabinet as possible but I could probably push it to $250.00. This is to be used almost exclusively for playback of classic rock / rock and vocal reinforcement about twice a week. If the crowd footprint increases, they no longer in a confided space or anything but the smallest of live groups comes along I would be supplying another rig all together on a rental basis. A variety of amps are readily available including several QSC RMX2450s.

Thanks again,

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

Thank you both for the replys and information. Currently we are using an old pair of Peavey 112Hs for small stuff so I was hoping that almost anything would be an upgrade, but I am getting the feeling that I should really look into something else (not a lot of experience in this price range.)

Besides the suggested EV SX300s is there anything else that comes to mind that I should consider? I am trying to help someone else put this together and as always they are on a really tight budget. Trying to stay as close to $200.00 a cabinet as possible but I could probably push it to $250.00. This is to be used almost exclusively for playback of classic rock / rock and vocal reinforcement about twice a week. If the crowd footprint increases, they no longer in a confided space or anything but the smallest of live groups comes along I would be supplying another rig all together on a rental basis. A variety of amps are readily available including several QSC RMX2450s.

Thanks again,

Jason, even as I write this I have a pair of YX115's out on loan to a DJ who also does vocal's for rock bands at times. 

He has a habit of blowing up speaker as he cranks em up to ear bleeding without having "enoug rig for the gig" but so far these have only lost the protection lamp a couple of times. This is an easy low cost fix.

The '115's are light weight, easy to transport, easy to stack and store, handle 300W of "yorkville" power... that is to say music power.  Can be found today new on e-bay for $240 USD and come with Yorkvilles' great warranty.

I think as far as I can tell that they may be usable for your application.

At 200W (Yorkville power) , the 112 probably wont last too many gigs if the type I infer before they develop issues :)

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

Thanks again,

If you can find a pair of used EV SX200s, you will be very happy.

They are the older version of the SX300s that weighed more.

Sonically they sound just as good. Both are rated 300 rms/600 program/1200 peak.

The Yorkville speakers are program rated at 100 rms/200 program/400 peak for the YX12 and 150 rms/300 program/600 peak for the YX115s. They are both entry level speakers.

Neither of these are in the same league as these EVs, which are much better sounding with higher max SPL levels.

Even EV SX100s are much better. Used Evs are some of the best value deals out there.

Also look for JBL MP412s and MP415s. They are the older version of the JBL MRX512ms and MRX515s.

I love Yorkville speakers and own 3 pair of their speakers, but the YX series are not worth the money.

Used EVs and JBLs are a much better deal. Used Peavey Impulses and SP series are also solid performers.

Stay away from any company's entry level boxes, Peavey PV series, JBL JRX,SF,MP212s and MP215s, and the TR series.

Look in Craigslist and Kijiji and be patient.

Cheers

Jason Gooden

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »

If you can find a pair of used EV SX200s, you will be very happy.

They are the older version of the SX300s that weighed more.

Sonically they sound just as good. Both are rated 300 rms/600 program/1200 peak.

The Yorkville speakers are program rated at 100 rms/200 program/400 peak for the YX12 and 150 rms/300 program/600 peak for the YX115s. They are both entry level speakers.

Neither of these are in the same league as these EVs, which are much better sounding with higher max SPL levels.

Even EV SX100s are much better. Used Evs are some of the best value deals out there.

Also look for JBL MP412s and MP415s. They are the older version of the JBL MRX512ms and MRX515s.

I love Yorkville speakers and own 3 pair of their speakers, but the YX series are not worth the money.

Used EVs and JBLs are a much better deal. Used Peavey Impulses and SP series are also solid performers.

Stay away from any company's entry level boxes, Peavey PV series, JBL JRX,SF,MP212s and MP215s, and the TR series.

Look in Craigslist and Kijiji and be patient.

Cheers

What do you think a fair price for used EVs would be?
Thanks again for your help,
Jason

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »

What do you think a fair price for used EVs would be?
Thanks again for your help,
Jason

SX200s priced at arround $400 for a pair in very good condition is not bad.

You may find some SX300s at $500-600 for the pair. I have seen DJs on other websites buy them for as little as $400.00 for a pair.

The general rule of thumb for used speakers in mint condition should not be more than 50 cents on the dollar vs the price of buying them new.

I bought 2 JBL MRX512ms in VGCfor $540.00 US three years ago. It took me 18 months to find another pair in absolute mint condition for $660.00.

I am up in Canada and these deals are few and far between. There are alot of great deals to be had in USA especially in the larger metropolitan markets.

Check Crigslist and Kijiji EVERY DAY! The smokin' deals do not last long on either site.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.