ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HD 10-A MK4 - A must to avoid; or OK?  (Read 4384 times)

Dennis Wiggins

HD 10-A MK4 - A must to avoid; or OK?
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »

I'm looking for a powered 10"; not over 35 lbs.  I have ZXA1s, and absolutely love them.  They couldn't perform better.  However, they have a wonky COG. 

I need something that will sit safely on a stand in, shall we say, "less than stable" circumstances  (think: barn dance).  I have considered DXR10s, but the midrange (from what I have read) may a bit unclear.  I would buy a DSR10, if it existed.  In most cases, it will be used with a ZXA1-Sub.

This is for calling Square and Contra dances so, in addition to making CD and live music sound great, it is mandatory that the audience be able to understand what the caller is saying. 

-Dennis

<edit 1> The COG issue with ZXA1 is that the pole cup is at the rear edge of the cabinet, so all of its weight pulls the pole forward.  To me, this makes it a bit unstable on a tripod, or on any sub-mounted pole longer than 18".

<edit 2> ...also considering Turbosound iQ10.

,edit 3>  ...just found this topic  :-  and will read it.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=163624.0
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:36:36 am by Dennis Wiggins »

Steve Rynbrandt

Re: HD 10-A MK4 - A must to avoid; or OK?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:31:06 pm »

JBL EON610 is 26lbs. Unfortunately we don't have any EON610 speakers, so I can't give you an experienced opinion on performance, but we do have some of the bigger brother EON612 primarily for dry rental purposes and they do pretty good. Clients seem to like them and even the 12" versions are less than your 35lb limit. Doubt the EONs sound better than the ZXA1 or RCF though.

That being said, I'm not so sure that there would be a significant difference in stability between the ZXA1, RCF, or the EON610 (and frankly any similar speaker) when on stands. Are you using the pole cub in the ZXA1-SUB or are you using separate tri-pod stands? Seeing that you are otherwise completely satisfied with the ZXA1s (and they match up with your subs), maybe if you could describe your current mounting methods some helpful suggestions could come along to improve your situation.

Steve Rynbrandt

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:36:26 pm by Steve Rynbrandt »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:59:59 am »

JBL EON610 is 26lbs.
Steve Rynbrandt

Hmm... I hadn't considered those.

Thanks!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:31:05 am »

I really like the iQ10. It's a fairly loud little box that sounds good and they are really cheap. It has dual pole mounts, one at 7-1/2* tilt. PM Mike Pyle for pricing.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:00 am »

I'm looking for a powered 10"; not over 35 lbs.  I have ZXA1s, and absolutely love them.  They couldn't perform better.  However, they have a wonky COG. 

I need something that will sit safely on a stand in, shall we say, "less than stable" circumstances  (think: barn dance).  I have considered DXR10s, but the midrange (from what I have read) may a bit unclear.  I would buy a DSR10, if it existed.  In most cases, it will be used with a ZXA1-Sub.

This is for calling Square and Contra dances so, in addition to making CD and live music sound great, it is mandatory that the audience be able to understand what the caller is saying. 

-Dennis

<edit 1> The COG issue with ZXA1 is that the pole cup is at the rear edge of the cabinet, so all of its weight pulls the pole forward.  To me, this makes it a bit unstable on a tripod, or on any sub-mounted pole longer than 18".

DXR10s sound great.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:01:56 am »

I have lots of EV's like that and haven't had one go over...ever.

Instead of swapping speakers, get a pair of stands with a wider footprint.  I have some no-name stands that are much more stable than my Tele-locks and some taller lighting stands that go up to 9' that have about a 6' spread on the feet. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Peter Morris

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:35:35 am »

-Dennis

I have not heard the HD 10 A MK4 but I have heard and measured some of the new RCF range with FiRPHASE.  They sound great, very clear, one of the best plastic boxes out there.

I would definitely check them out.

http://www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=8f232a08-0656-4971-b6b6-5e3fbde5c1cf&groupId=216492
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:44:26 am by Peter Morris »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:16:09 am »

Here's what I have, so far:

DXR10   
Do they have midrange "suckout" in the voice region?

26 32 lbs
Tiltable Cup
2 Hi pass settings (a definite plus)
$549 (with Yamaha $50 rebate, good until Sep 30, 2017)
I have heard the 112s, and liked them.

RCF HD 10-a MK4   
As they do not have a hi-pass to pair with a sub, will they play nicely with ZXA1-Sub in the upper bass (60-100hz) range? 
26 lbs.
$449
I have only heard a properly sized HDL/Sub system, but was quite impressed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:14:39 am by Dennis Wiggins »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:34:09 am »

I have lots of EV's like that and haven't had one go over...ever.

Instead of swapping speakers, get a pair of stands with a wider footprint.  I have some no-name stands that are much more stable than my Tele-locks and some taller lighting stands that go up to 9' that have about a 6' spread on the feet.

Yes, I am overly paranoid and try to avoid tripods wherever possible, as the younger dancers can get a bit wild.  Also, when they take down some eating tables and the dance immediately starts, I nearly always have to pickup and move "a little over there"'.  I will get a black Rubbermaid, after this proves out.

Here's the COG issue.  I've had to brace it (barely visible behind the pole), to keep it from falling forward.  Without a ZXA1 sub in the bottom for ballast, there is no way I can just use a ZXA1 by itself.

As you can see, a properly balance top is required.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:53:52 am by Dennis Wiggins »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:31 am »

The audience view... I can't decide if I should cut a 1/2" plywood aperture to hide the front of the cart. 

-Dennis

Yes, Waylon was carrying a mouse.  Good kitten.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:49:23 am by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:31 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.