ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft expression 3  (Read 9683 times)

Nate Armstrong

Soundcraft expression 3
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »

Im  currently saving up to replace my analog mixer and rack with a budget digital board.  Well I guess not replace because I will be keeping the analog setup. right now I have a 16x8 100 foot snake.

I have not fully decided what mixer to get yet but heavily leaning towards the expression 3.
I am not in a big hurry and it will be at least a year till I upgrade. I would also like to get a digital stage box.

If I purchase the 16x8 stage box can I then later purchase another and link them together ?  or must I get the 32 channel version ?  I thought about using digital on the first 16 and then adding the analog snake if i need more than 16 channels until i could get a 2nd 16 channel stage box, if possible.

does anyone want to share there experiences/pros and cons with the expression line

One thing I do not like is the lack of a Neutrik cat5 connector.
Faders seem kind of cheap as well.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Soundcraft expression 3
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

No need for locking connectors on the HiQ net port IMO, perfectly reasonable. The MADI over CAT5 card for the snake will have them. The HiQ is just for plugging into routers for remote control and etc, basically stuff that stays inside the case, and likely will not have locking on the other side (ex: your linksys router does not have Neutrik connectors).

It's funny you say that about the faders. I have the 'previous generation' the Si Compact and I just used an expression two days ago. I was surprised to find what I felt to be smoother, and more responsive faders! The desks are otherwise nearly identical.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:24:35 PM by Samuel Rees »

Nate Armstrong

Re: Soundcraft expression 3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »

Oh, I did not realize that the onboard cat5 was for networking only. So if i understand correctly to use adigital snake, i have to buy a Madi card at $1000 +  16x8 at $1000 at a minimum.

I guess I better download and read the manual.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »

Check out the x32 also; I put one in a church I help at and it's been great so far. Check out the following threads for some good information on the boards in this price range. A forum search might yield more results.

Mike Reigh

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »

From what I understand, if you buy the snake box, the MADI card come with it.  Check with your rep to be sure.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Soundcraft expression 3
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

Correct, snake comes with the card.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »

Correct, snake comes with the card.

I'll just add that we just put an Expression 3 in our church, and it's been a breeze to work with. The first day out of the box I mixed a full concert with no issues, and very intuitive controls. It's been very easy to teach very new users as well. No deep menus, very logical controls, etc.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

Check out the x32 also; I put one in a church I help at and it's been great so far. Check out the following threads for some good information on the boards in this price range. A forum search might yield more results.

I have been watching videos and reading forum posts. the one above about the Si expression is mostly people talking about price point and the Si Compact loosing its resale value.   I did find this gem though

"The Mini Stageboxes will come with a MADI card fitted and a card for the console in the box. The MSB 32 will have Optical or Cat5 versions to choose from, the MSB 16 will be Cat5 only."

why retailers don't explain this better is a bit puzzling to me.

I am still uncertain if i can daisy chain 2 msb 16's together or if i need to bite the bullet and get the MSB 32 right of the bat.

I was in guitar center and they had the x32 and the Si expression 3 there.. the expression 3  was so simple and intuitive i found most every feature right there with out any hunting through menus and such.  hence why I am leaning toward it.

I really haven't seen that forum post that goes in to detail about the Si expression series like so many x32 forum posts do... " I love this feature, I wish it did this, I hate that "  I would say with time, this will change.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Soundcraft expression 3
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »

I have been watching videos and reading forum posts. the one above about the Si expression is mostly people talking about price point and the Si Compact loosing its resale value.   I did find this gem though

"The Mini Stageboxes will come with a MADI card fitted and a card for the console in the box. The MSB 32 will have Optical or Cat5 versions to choose from, the MSB 16 will be Cat5 only."

why retailers don't explain this better is a bit puzzling to me.

I am still uncertain if i can daisy chain 2 msb 16's together or if i need to bite the bullet and get the MSB 32 right of the bat.

I was in guitar center and they had the x32 and the Si expression 3 there.. the expression 3  was so simple and intuitive i found most every feature right there with out any hunting through menus and such.  hence why I am leaning toward it.

I really haven't seen that forum post that goes in to detail about the Si expression series like so many x32 forum posts do... " I love this feature, I wish it did this, I hate that "  I would say with time, this will change.

Look at the threads for the Si Compact. 95% the same, so it will be relevant to you. Feel free to drop me a PM also, I've used the Expression 1 for the last 3 days and I own a Compact 24.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:22 AM »

Hi there,

I have been using both the SI Expression 3 and 1 for the last couple of months. 

Pros:  They are very intuitive and sound great.  The effects sound really good, and have multiple tap tempo buttons; I like how selecting an effect puts it into solo and gives you sends on faders with a single button push.  They are light, have a small footprint, and are pretty affordable. Mute groups are nice, layers are nice (even without scribble strips). I love having all of the outputs and matrix sends.  The FaderGlow is cool, if it is dark out.

Cons:  The button back-lighting is almost impossible to read in daylight.  There are no VCAs. Though the desk is supposed to basically be an SI Compact, I feel like they are still working through lots of bugs, at least with my desk. I just downloaded the new Build 9 software tonight, hoping for a fix for crashes, freezes, and outputs dropping signal.  Stuff that ruins shows, basically.  I have some faith that they will get it together, as the SI Compact seems to work fine for most people I know; however, I really resent being a beta-tester for something I purchased.
I have not begun using the iPad app to control this desk.  From what I understand (from speaking to the Harman reps directly), the app is pretty limited in scope at this point.

The compact stage boxes have been delayed, so it is impossible to comment on them.  I was told May, then June... we'll see.

Hope that helps.... Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:31:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.