ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX835 - show review/report  (Read 29294 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
JBL STX835 - show review/report
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

So this past weekend I had a show at Wolf Trap for their end of year Ball/Gala/Party. There was an estimated 800-850 dinner plates sold for this shin-dig. Wolf Trap is buying the STX835 to replace Meyer MSL3 (non-powered) for small mains, side fill and drum monitor and they will be using Lab Gruppen PLM's to power these boxes. For this evening, the speakers only had a 90Hz HP and set-up in Full Range mode (they unboxed them 2 days before the gig and JBL hasn’t created DSP presets yet). The STX was stacked on top of L'Acoustic SB218 (PLM powered & processed).

I can say that these speakers do sound very good. I did have to make a few small cuts on the 31Band EQ to smooth out the box, other than that it's a good speaker out of the box. The only "down fall" that I see with these boxes is that the horn flares are in the middle of the box, so you'll need to stack it high. The speaker is a step up from the older SRX725, but it’s still a slight step behind the KF650.

So if I had the cash funds and a helping hand at my shows, I would look at buying these speakers if I was to upgrade my QRx212.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:57:03 PM by Matt Vivlamore »
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
Re: JBL STX835 - show review/report
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »

So this past weekend I had a show at Wolf Trap for their end of year Ball/Gala/Party. There was an estimated 800-850 dinner plates sold for this shin-dig. Wolf Trap is buying the STX835 to replace Meyer MSL3 (non-powered) for small mains, side fill and drum monitor and they will be using Lab Gruppen PLM's to power these boxes. For this evening, the speakers only had a 90Hz HP and set-up in Full Range mode (they unboxed them 2 days before the gig and JBL hasn’t created DSP presets yet). The STX was stacked on top of L'Acoustic SB28 (PLM powered & processed).

I can say that these speakers do sound very good. I did have to make a few small cuts on the 31Band EQ to smooth out the box, other than that it's a good speaker out of the box. The only "down fall" that I see with these boxes is that the horn flares are in the middle of the box, so you'll need to stack it high. The speaker is a step up from the older SRX725, but it’s still a slight step behind the KF650.

So if I had the cash funds and a helping hand at my shows, I would look at buying these speakers if I was to upgrade my QRx212.

Hey Matt, sounds like it was a nice gig.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »

The STX was stacked on top of L'Acoustic SB28 (PLM powered & processed).

That's actually an SB218. The SB28 is a much better sub. As for stack height issues, that's easy - just put them up on 3 SB28s ;) I also suspect the performance of the STX would improve noticeably in bi-amp mode. Too bad they can't be triamped without modification.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

That's actually an SB218. The SB28 is a much better sub. As for stack height issues, that's easy - just put them up on 3 SB28s ;) I also suspect the performance of the STX would improve noticeably in bi-amp mode. Too bad they can't be triamped without modification.

Thanks Greg; Yes it was the SB218 (the older one), I didn't have any complaints using the SB218 for my gig it kept right up with everything I needed to do.  I really did like the 51" stack height on those.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

Matt,
Nice to hear that someone has gotten their hands on the 835. Can you tell me more about the sound and your thoughts all around.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »

Hmm, what do the STX sound like?

The biggest improvement I heard with the STX835 over the SRX725 is the Horn sound; it has lost some of the "harshness" that some people seemed too complain about.  But no worries, it still has some of the 'edgy-ness' that JBL is known for in a good way.  It is a good improvement over the SRX725.

When walking around in front of the speakers, I could hear when you walked out of the pattern.  They did sound better than the 2 L’Acoustic ARCS zones (3 wide with 1 pointing down flown above the doorway pointing into SL & SR rooms); the ARCS lacked Mids.

I didn't have a way to monitor the PLM (I think it was the 10000Q), so I don't know if I was running out of power or how much I was in the Red.  The speakers where loud enough for my gig (floor was 125' throw, 65' wide area, 50+ ceiling) with the corporate party band and plays anything from Frank Sinatra to LMFAO.

The Negatives:

Weight: This box does weight 126#.  Since 95% of my shows are a one man operation, it would not be pleasant to get this box up by myself.  It’s an additional 45# more than my QRx212 (81#).  The system was already in place when I got there; the day before the event, Wolf Trap worked on time aligning the 3 main floor zones.  Then again, this weights roughly the same a KF650 and SLS960.

Price: $2600 is the Advertised Price; I don’t know the dealer cost but I would estimate it to be around $2200 (give or take on your Harmon ranking).

Avraam J. Dectis

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Is the slot loading a genuine improvement or a  space saving device.

I think I would have preferred the woofers to be front facing like the 725.

The 835 woofers only handle frequencies under 250 HZ while the 735 woofers handle under 1.3 KHZ, so mayne 250HZ and under is ok through a slot?

I think if the 835 came in two cabinet options, one with front facing woofers, many would choose the front facing.

Jack keaton

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »

So this past weekend I had a show at Wolf Trap for their end of year Ball/Gala/Party. There was an estimated 800-850 dinner plates sold for this shin-dig. Wolf Trap is buying the STX835 to replace Meyer MSL3 (non-powered) for small mains, side fill and drum monitor and they will be using Lab Gruppen PLM's to power these boxes. For this evening, the speakers only had a 90Hz HP and set-up in Full Range mode (they unboxed them 2 days before the gig and JBL hasn’t created DSP presets yet). The STX was stacked on top of L'Acoustic SB218 (PLM powered & processed).

it says Sensitivity (1W/1m)      :      96 dB is that correct with these doesnt that seem low?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:45 AM »

it says Sensitivity (1W/1m)      :      96 dB is that correct with these doesnt that seem low?
That seems correct.  Have you seen how much power it takes to drive these?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Matt, I'd welcome your additional thoughts on the topic of direct comparisons between the STX835 and QRX212 including audio quality, output level and any other subjective thoughts.

I too utilize the QRX212's and always appreciate others' reviews & comments.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.