ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Console Users I have a question  (Read 7352 times)

Johnny Diaz

Digital Console Users I have a question
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »

I'm will be getting my first digital console which will most likely be the Presonus 16.4.2.  Do you think its important to have a power conditioner or voltage regulator for a digital console.  From what I have read so far digital console don't like voltage fluctuation.  So what are all you guys using and why?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Digital Console Users I have a question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »

I'm will be getting my first digital console which will most likely be the Presonus 16.4.2.  Do you think its important to have a power conditioner or voltage regulator for a digital console.  From what I have read so far digital console don't like voltage fluctuation.  So what are all you guys using and why?
A "power conditioner" is all but useless for your needs.  Get yourself a "voltage regulator" or decent UPS.  I run analog desks, but still keep one of these in my FOH rack.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=AR-1215

A quick search of the forums should provide piles of relevant discussion.  I've found that the forum's search feature is less than useful.  Personally, I use Google with a search line like the following:

"<whatever you're searching for> site:forums.prosoundweb.com"
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »

Scott,

I'm not a big fan of Furman products.  How is the Furman R1215?

Johnny

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

I am not familiar with how long it takes the Presonus to "reboot" when it loses power, but that is the reason for having a UPS for the console. No digital console I have used has shown itself to be susceptible to power line issues. They draw little power, and don't seem to care about voltage as long as it stays within the usual 95-135V range that is specified on most electronics. Having a power dropout in the middle of the show that then causes a 1 or 2 minute wait while the console reboots is a big issue. A UPS will keep the console from suffering that fate.

Mac

Kent Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

We use a good quality UPS instead.

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »

+1 on UPS vs the regulator.  Put everything mix related on the UPS as well.  Many of the wireless AP/Router devices can take 30+ seconds to reboot even if the console reboots quickly which in the case of the Studiolive may leave you hanging if you're depending on ipad for any remote mixing duties.

Akki Serd

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:20 AM »

Hi

Any brand recommendation for UPS?
Is APC ok? I use it for servers for years now.

Edit:
Is something like this enough to protect my keyboards and presonus on stage :

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_438&item_id=030394

Tnx
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:03:12 AM by Akki Serd »

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »

Hi,
Following my readings of many audio & music forums, there is a long-living belief that an UPS also regulates the voltage. This is true only for "on line" UPS. They keep converting the mains to DC, then creating a near perfect sine from this DC.
Others, "off line" or even "line interactive", have little or no regulation of voltage, and absolutely no regulation of frequency. A long as voltage varies within a defined range, they simply hard-wire output to input.
 As said above, the main benefit of the UPS for any device with long boot time is to prevent this happening during the show. So even cheap UPS will do. But do not think you will improve the current supplied.

(Sorry if my answer has been discussed hundredth time already).

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

It depends. We had a small TrippLite power conditioner on our SL24.4.2 board at our church. The board would just randomly stop passing audio and would have to be shut down and restarted (which takes all of about 5 seconds), but could not understand why this was happening. We ordered a backup board and was to send out the one we were using and the new board did the exact same thing , we bypassed all the power strips, power conditioners, and we direct to AC mains and no more issues at all with either board. I would not waste any money on cheap conditioners or line filters we use the Furman units for our Allen Heath iLive and like the added protection to the mix rack and console. We have had power inadvertently shut off with the Presonus and our AH board. Presonus reboots very fast. Unless you are worried about over voltage, I suggest meter your power before you connect. We always do, even if it is an event we have done before, you never know what has changed since the last time you were there...we have had other local sound co's not meter power before connecting and found they were getting 220V instead of 120V and fried some equipment.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

Edit:
Is something like this enough to protect my keyboards and presonus on stage :

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_438&item_id=030394

Akki -

That UPS will be fine.  If this thread goes on long enough, there will be those telling you to spend $1500 for a 50 lb. rackmount unit.  Not necessary.  The APC units have been serving me well for the last few years for a variety of digital desks. 

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.