ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DM 1000 console with Presonus Digimax pre s  (Read 4905 times)

Buck Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
    • Selah Media Productions
DM 1000 console with Presonus Digimax pre s
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:47 pm »

I have a customer who has a DM1000 and has connected 3 digimax mic pre's for the extra channels. He is using the ADAT outs back into the console, and has the wordclock chained from the console to the pre's. He's experiencing some pretty bad pops in the console from the pre's - firing randomly. We've done a lot of troubleshooting still coming up empty - Any ideas out there on what to do??? Thanks
Buck Roberts, president
Selah Media Productions
www.selahmedia.net
sound/lighting/video
design & installation

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
DM 1000 console with Presonus Digimax pre s
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

I don't know anything about the console itself, but have you made sure you have the console set as master and the preamps as slaves in whatever WC settings it has?

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
Re: DM 1000 console with Presonus Digimax pre s
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »

If your Toslink connections are not clean or if they are loose, you will get random pops from sync loss.  I had this same problem with random pops and cured it by buying high quality GLASS fiber Toslink cables and making sure the connections were tight and positive.   Check your cables by wiggling them and see if it pops while you are doing it.  If you get popping, try to wrap the end of the cable with thin tape to tighten the fit and see if that helps.  Cleaning the ends of the cables and the jacks may help.  This happened even when the clock was set correctly.

Don Ernst
Ernst Audio Services, Inc.
Louisville, KY
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

jacob church

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:35:13 am »

The system in question is mine.

Yes the console was master and the pre's were slave.  After switching that up, using the firestudio multitrack recorder as the master and the console and pre's to slave, and mixing 1 event so far, the popping seems to have stopped. However now the level of the audio coming in to the console from the digimax pre's is 15 db lower.  Why would changing word clock sources change the level of the audio?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:15:46 am »

The system in question is mine.

Yes the console was master and the pre's were slave.  After switching that up, using the firestudio multitrack recorder as the master and the console and pre's to slave, and mixing 1 event so far, the popping seems to have stopped. However now the level of the audio coming in to the console from the digimax pre's is 15 db lower.  Why would changing word clock sources change the level of the audio?
It sounds like your word clock is not properly terminated.  Are you using T connectors and 50 ohm terminators on each end of your chain?

Lev Raber

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:07 am »

I have a customer who has a DM1000 and has connected 3 digimax mic pre's for the extra channels. He is using the ADAT outs back into the console, and has the wordclock chained from the console to the pre's. He's experiencing some pretty bad pops in the console from the pre's - firing randomly. We've done a lot of troubleshooting still coming up empty - Any ideas out there on what to do??? Thanks
I had the same problem with my Yam O1V96V2. Here is the simple way to do it:
1.Daisy chain digimax units with short coax cables using the first one as a master for wordclock and other units as slaves
2.Make sure the board is set for external wordclock with ADAT card slot as a source
I never had a problem loosing wordclock from ADAT connection and my optical cables're relatively cheap. In this case no termination's required and only 2 coax cables are in use for 3 8-channel pres.
Regarding the level drop, it is how it suppose to be. Your so called "extra gain" was a mistake from a wrong clocking. I never experienced a luck of gain with my Digimax LTs, they sound better than Yam pres and have a lot of headroom.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:24 pm »

I had a friend who rented my pair of Ocropre units for use with his 01V96 and had problems with the clock. When I talked it over with him I realized he didn't understand work clock at all and he had run a cable from the 01V96 to the first unit "clock in" and then a cable from the "clock out" to the second unit's "clock in".
The second unit was not keeping in sync.
Once I explained how to wire it up, all was well.

So, cable from the mixer to a BNC T, another cable from the T to the next BNC T. Connect the Ts to the preamp clock in. Install a 75 ohm terminator (note, BNC terminators come in 75 ohm and 50 ohm - old ethernet standard) on the last T.
Set each preamp to use Word Clock. Set mixer to Master.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

jacob church

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:51 pm »

Tom: No.  T's are not needed with the LT's because they have BNC outs and are self terminating.

Lev: I don't believe the clocking to be wrong. It's how the system designers/installers set it up and it has been operating that way for 6 years without issue.  Also the meter bridge input indicators (prefade) should match the level indicated on the preamp, and they always have.  It's when I use the firestudio as the clock source that the meter bridge indicates 15db lower than the preamp indicators. 

Rob: That's essentially what it is.  Except there are no T's because the LT's have BNC outs, no terminator because the LT's are self terminating, and yes the console has been the clock master.

Thanks for the responses.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:38:56 pm »

Rob: That's essentially what it is.  Except there are no T's because the LT's have BNC outs, no terminator because the LT's are self terminating, and yes the console has been the clock master.

Take a look at the WC out of the preamp with an O'scope, compared to the input. It is generally advised to not use regenerated outs, but to source all the WC from a common point. It is unfortunate that they are self terminating, because that means you should use a WC DA so that you don't double terminate the line.

On other gear I have tested the WC "loop" out is significantly rounded vs the original WC source. I would risk the double termination and try Rob's method.

Mac

jacob church

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

On other gear I have tested the WC "loop" out is significantly rounded vs the original WC source. I would risk the double termination and try Rob's method.

Mac

I will.  I already have some T's and a terminator on order.  I needed them anyway because I hope to replace the LT's with D8's and they don't have BNC out.
Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 23 queries.