ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MD421 replacement capsule  (Read 13416 times)

Dave Miller

MD421 replacement capsule
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:46 AM »

Hi,

I know there's been some discussion of this in the past, but has anyone recently had to get a new capsule for an MD421-U-5 ?

If so, what sort of price are you looking at?

(I'm just looking for the capsule as I can fit it myself. The old one has gone open circuit).

I'm in the UK so I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone in the UK or Europe, rather than in the US.

And I know I could ring Sennheiser up, but not until Monday...

Thanks,

Dave

Tim McCulloch

Re: MD421 replacement capsule
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Hi Dave-

This is a reply you didn't want.  I'm in the USA, so the policies of Sennheiser USA may not reflect the reality on your side of the Pond.

In our case, we had a desk drawer full of 421s that needed work.  We sent a couple to Senny, and the repair quotes were about 12% less than "street" price for a new 421.  My boss opted to neither repair nor replace them; they had begun to fall off riders as a "no substitutions" microphone.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out for the UK.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Dave Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:00:11 AM »

Tim, thanks for your comment - there are similar stories elsewhere here. I was hoping that it might be a little more economic in my case as I'm closer to the source and can do the repair myself.

But it was all academic...

I rang Sennheiser UK on Monday and spoke to service. They told me that the capsule for an MD421-U-5 is now discontinued and they don't have any.

I'd agree with Tim in that it's generally no longer necessary to have 421s in stock. I think it's fair to say that the original version is now in the "vintage" category and too fragile to be taken on the road.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that they're just too fragile to have in inventory.  I had three on the road at one point and they all got beat to hell.  Fantastic mic for horns, but all it took was one fan to push over the mic stand...

Art Welter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »

Thomas Bishop wrote on Tue, 13 April 2010 20:18

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that they're just too fragile to have in inventory.  I had three on the road at one point and they all got beat to hell.  Fantastic mic for horns, but all it took was one fan to push over the mic stand...

The last pair I bought to satisfy a rider, then the act requiring the 421s showed up with their own microphones  Mad .
Because of their cost, I didn't take them out with my usual kit, for fear of damage.
After a few uses on jazz gigs both failed.

The failures happened slightly after the one year warranty expired.

Got about the same response as Tim McCulloch from Sennheiser: "we'll gladly repair your brand new condition defective microphones for nearly the price you paid for them".
$800+ down the toilet.

Still have one immaculate MD 421 II shell if anyone happens to need it..

Art Welter

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann

• http://www.nojunk.de
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 19:10

Still have one immaculate MD 421 II shell if anyone happens to need it...
as spare aprts - YES Very Happy
btw: didn't dave rat modify one with an audix several years back in one of his blogs?  (dave, where are you Laughing )

Art Welter

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 13:46

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 19:10

Still have one immaculate MD 421 II shell if anyone happens to need it...
as spare aprts - YES Very Happy
btw: didn't dave rat modify one with an audix several years back in one of his blogs?  (dave, where are you Laughing )

I put an EV 408 cartridge (which had been in a Shure 55 shell) in the first dead 421, but it didn't sound at all like a 421, so I sold it off. Then the other 421 II died...

Shipping the carcass would cost a bit from NM to Germany..

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »

I take this thread as a chance to ask... I also have a 421 sitted in the warehouse because sounds broken...

can anyone tell me how to open it and check if it's only a cracked solder joint or the capsule need to be replaced? I have a total of six 421s so I could cross parts to identify the issue...

Dave Miller

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »

Davide Bonetti wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 13:58

can anyone tell me how to open it and check if it's only a cracked solder joint or the capsule need to be replaced? I have a total of six 421s so I could cross parts to identify the issue...

On the bottom of the mic there's a small metal strip with the model and serial numbers on it - it's between the slot for the clip and the connector. One end of this is pushed down slightly to hold it in. Prise up this depressed end with a small screwdriver and the strip will slide out. Remove the screw that's underneath it. This will release the XLR / bass roll-off switch assembly which can be carefully pulled out.

On some 421s the wires are from the capsule are on crimp pins which push into the connector/switch assembly, on others they are soldered in. You may need to remove them for the next step.

If you look down the hole where the connector was you you will see some silicone sealant which has a nut in the middle (may be covered over). Stick a 7mm nut spinner into this to unscrew the nut - this should be possible without picking out the sealant. The grille (including the capsule) can then be gently pulled off the front. Be careful with the wires - you made need to remove the sealant to get them through the hole.

If you want to remove the capsule from the grille, simply undo the four small screws (one in each corner) and the two can be separated (gently again).

I'd bet the capsule has failed on yours, though.

Chris Hindle

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »

Dave Miller wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 09:15

Davide Bonetti wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 13:58

On the bottom of the mic there's a small metal strip with the model and serial numbers on it - it's between the slot for the clip and the connector. One end of this is pushed down slightly to hold it in. Prise up this depressed end with a small screwdriver and the strip will slide out. Remove the screw that's underneath it. This will release the XLR / bass roll-off switch assembly which can be carefully pulled out.

On some 421s the wires are from the capsule are on crimp pins which push into the connector/switch assembly, on others they are soldered in. You may need to remove them for the next step.

If you look down the hole where the connector was you you will see some silicone sealant which has a nut in the middle (may be covered over). Stick a 7mm nut spinner into this to unscrew the nut - this should be possible without picking out the sealant. The grille (including the capsule) can then be gently pulled off the front. Be careful with the wires - you made need to remove the sealant to get them through the hole.

If you want to remove the capsule from the grille, simply undo the four small screws (one in each corner) and the two can be separated (gently again).

I'd bet the capsule has failed on yours, though.

... or, give it to a drummer to use in his practice room. 2 sessions, and it'll be split open for your viewing pleasure  Twisted Evil
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.