ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
 on: December 14, 2018, 06:29:13 pm 
Started by Alex Pregel - Last post by Scott Helmke
As an experiment, I inserted a spare delay, a Roland SDE 3000, across the vocal group and dialed in a short delay, IIRC around 6.5ms. That worked perfectly to locate the voices back down to the deck, which was very apparent when I bypassed it during rehearsals...delay out = distracting voice coming down from up above, delay in = voice appearing to come from the stage, where the eye was drawn. After I implemented that, the volume complaints all but stopped.

Also known as the "Haas effect".  It does indeed affect localization, though the downside is that it can very easily introduce significant comb filtering.

on: December 14, 2018, 06:26:57 pm 
Started by LeVan Moxley - Last post by Scott Helmke
In a "concert setting/recording for media distribution" setting like this, don't they usually run two consoles, one for FOH and one for recording?  Obviously having the ability to mix all this post let's it become as good as it can be.

Standard would be splitting all the sources for recording, direct to ProTools. But also the recording engineer will mix (on her own console or maybe just laptop) a "live" stereo recording as a reference/backup in case something goes wrong with the multitrack recording.

on: December 14, 2018, 06:20:55 pm 
Started by Jack Arnott - Last post by Randy Pence
While the intention is good and the issues very real and looming, there are more tactful and proper ways to address them.

without trying to get political, it could be argued that if the previous methods had worked, whatever they were, the current might be deployed differently.

The younger generations do not have it easy. We were able to live through the advents of a variety of musical instrument and genre innovations. It will be difficult for the kids to have breakthrough revolutions, but I think they might. The kids are alright.

on: December 14, 2018, 06:11:48 pm 
Started by LeVan Moxley - Last post by LeVan Moxley
In a "concert setting/recording for media distribution" setting like this, don't they usually run two consoles, one for FOH and one for recording?  Obviously having the ability to mix all this post let's it become as good as it can be.

on: December 14, 2018, 05:34:26 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by Mike Sokol
Corner grounded Delta any one?

I've never seen one of these in the wild, so I'm considering whether or not to include a corner ground Delta in this seminar. At least I could put up a ppt slide showing how it will measure, but not spend any time on a live demonstration.

I was planning to include handouts with all the possible NEMA connectors as well as CEE-Form and Camlok color coding for various countries. Lots to do.   

on: December 14, 2018, 05:28:19 pm 
Started by LeVan Moxley - Last post by Mike Caldwell
The problem with videos like this is that people will try to copy that kind of mic technique because it sounded good on the video and have neither the vocal chops or the proper stage set up to attempt it on.
I can almost hear "turn my monitor up, I can't hear myself"

on: December 14, 2018, 05:21:33 pm 
Started by LeVan Moxley - Last post by brian maddox
Those were my initial thoughts also.  But judged by the responses on here, it's common place to get these kind of results from a 58.  I've still got a lot to learn.

It is not "common place" to get these results with ANY vocal mic used this way in a live environment.  But given the relatively moderate stage volume, the proficiency of this particular singer, and the fact that this was processed on a NLE using any and every tool available makes the end result understandable.

That last point bears repeating.  Processing audio in a Non-linear DAW opens up a level of control and manipulation that's simply not available during a "Live" event.  Think of it this way.  If i put a compressor on a mic in a Live Event, the compressor can't react to the signal until it actually "hears" it.  That's where you get that "pumping" sound under heavy compression.  But in a NLE, the compressor can cheat and look ahead to see what's coming and roll into that compression in a much smoother way than is possible in a live environment. 

I'm sure this sounded great to the live audience as well.  But i doubt it sounded quite This Great.

on: December 14, 2018, 05:09:23 pm 
Started by Tom Bourke - Last post by brian maddox
I use a MBP, but it's an older machine that still has all the "real" ports on it.  Not looking forward to replacing it. 

I've used Sophos and Time Machine [via WiFi now] for well over a decade and long ago forgot what it was like to lose data due to a virus/malware attack or broken Hard Drive.  It's just not something i even think about.

on: December 14, 2018, 04:54:24 pm 
Started by LeVan Moxley - Last post by LeVan Moxley
Wow. It's actually almost hard to believe that that mic on the vid is the one picking up the vocals heard in the video. Mic in face, nice and clear, mic the same distance as NYC - Beijing, nice and clear.

Those were my initial thoughts also.  But judged by the responses on here, it's common place to get these kind of results from a 58.  I've still got a lot to learn.

on: December 14, 2018, 04:29:26 pm 
Started by Jack Arnott - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
Doesn't matter when you were born or what "generation" you are. schools should be teaching enough basic math to allow people to make basic, on the spot , calculations.
Making change ain't TRIG and should not require a machine!
Apparently, it's not taught anymore. ::)
To get serious (well not really), coins and currency are destined for obsolescence so the kids are just ahead of the curve. 

OTOH I have no f'n idea what the inventor of common core math was thinking... If I was more of a conspiracy nut, I'd think it was subversive plot to undermine the west.  ::)

JR

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 15 queries.