ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
 on: Yesterday at 05:37:45 pm 
Started by John L Nobile - Last post by Stephen Kirby
Driver design and performance has made leaps and bounds in the last few years.  While a strip of 2" drivers isn't a line array, it may do things far beyond what you expect.

on: Yesterday at 05:37:38 pm 
Started by Tony Mamoh - Last post by Bob Faulkner
I'm shocked this has never come up before?

JR
LOL

on: Yesterday at 05:34:44 pm 
Started by John L Nobile - Last post by Brian Jojade
Are you in the market to buy new speakers?  If not, then it doesn't matter.  Yeah, there's always going to be new twists and turns on equipment.  Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not.

We've gotten to a point where there's no real continuity in products out there.  For any application, there could be thousands of products that could be put in that could do the job, and of those, there are many different designs that could do the job well. (There are also a ton of designs that certainly won't be good choices)

The lifecycle of a product being the latest tech is also shortening.  It used to be that you put in a sound system and that model was around for 5 or more years.  Now, the model of speaker you put in will only be available to purchase until next Thursday....

For pro sound, there's really only a couple of questions that need to be asked.  1. Can this new product make me money? 2. Can this new product make my job easier?  Pretty much if you can answer yes to both of those questions, then it's worth considering.  If not, then continue on your way.

on: Yesterday at 04:54:09 pm 
Started by Tony Mamoh - Last post by Tony Mamoh
I'm shocked this has never come up before?

JR

Most of the responses appear to be relevant to passive speakers. My specific scenario was for a self powered/active speaker. But I certainly note the multiple possible causes. Including the fact that you get what you pay for!!

on: Yesterday at 04:53:36 pm 
Started by Dave Garoutte - Last post by Rob Spence
I used the preproduction anglers at a festival recently for remote speakers. I this case I was using ZXa5 speakers which donít have a second tilt hole for the stand. I also wanted them up high and tilted down to make for a more even sound level.
I have BT12s but wanted to see how the anglers were.

First, the new rubber was an improvement. Sticky in the right way.

The anglers add less height than the BT12 so it was a bit easier to get the speakers up. While changing the angle after mounting was not as easy, I did not find it hard to make the adjustment.

I am happy to have these in my kit these days.
I did take a picture but it hasnít moved from my phone yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

on: Yesterday at 04:53:35 pm 
Started by John L Nobile - Last post by Chris Hindle
Presonus has come out with a box that has a 12" "woofer" and 8 - 2" speakers which they claim is a line array meets point source system. I don't know who they're marketing this to but it's not me.

I can't keep up with all the new speaker systems coming out in the last few years. It reminds me of the synth explosion in the 80's.
Bose Bloze ?  ::)
Chris.

on: Yesterday at 04:47:29 pm 
Started by Jon Brunskill - Last post by Mal Brown
Mal, I should fly down and visit you some day when you have a gig. I'm seriously looking at the Ui24 right now, upgrading from a DL1608.

It is a serious upgrade!  I used my dL-1608 on literally hundreds of gigs.  Loved it.  The Ui-24 smokes it...

Iíd be happy to host and really that goes for anyone in the northwest...  Iíll be on the deck at Maryhill with my band Saturday 9/22.  Noon to 5 I think.  It would be on the Maryhill Winery website.  Wonít be using the big Dell as we are cramped so Iíll be all IPad this time out.  we stuff a 4 piece with keys and drums into a space that normally holds singles and duoís ...  Itís a fun gig in spite of that though.  Probably my last outdoor date of the season...

on: Yesterday at 04:37:57 pm 
Started by Jon Brunskill - Last post by Mal Brown
It is under settings local as I recall.  Iíll hook up and look up tonight.

on: Yesterday at 04:37:23 pm 
Started by Bob Kidd - Last post by Bob Kidd
If self powered you have the issue of legal supply of power to the speakers if permanently installed.

Excellent point, another consideration

on: Yesterday at 04:36:46 pm 
Started by Dan Mortensen - Last post by Rob Spence
There is another reason why manufactures have a gain reduction or insertion loss of typically 15 dB on phantom powered DI's.

Phantom power is usually 48 volts and is typically supplied through a couple of 6K8 resistors (in accordance with IEC 61938).   This limits the power available to any device using it.  In this case it needs to drive a low impedance mic-pre with an impendence of around 2K.

The current required to drive the 2K load will cause a significant voltage drop across the 6K8 supply resistors and hence the ability of the DI to produce a large voltage swing. 

Itís not possible to output a signal from the DI at the level that some instruments may produce (eg. a keyboard) without clipping the DI because of the phantom power supply limitations.

The simple solution is just to reduce the output voltage to a mic level instead of a line level. By doing that if you hear clipping it will be in the keyboard for example not the DI Ö one less problem to worry about :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Peter, what 2k ohm load were you referring to?
I always thought of DIs driving an input on a mixing desk which I thought had a much higher impedance?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 14 queries.