ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 05:32:22 pm 
Started by dre - Last post by Debbie Dunkley
Hi All,

I currently have a danley system in a forest install that I'm happy with (two sh50s, two th812's and a dna20k4, signal from a nice schiit dac/pre setup) and am looking to put together a second, cheaper system, also for a small outside space.

I already have a dna20k4 amp, and two th118s.   What is a good bang-for-buck way to build this out for (1) bass heavy music but (2) where accuracy/sound quality is important?   

An obvious would be two sh50s and two more th118s for a total of 4 (this is about $12k I think). 

Or is it better to put more $$$ into the subs, and do sm80s and some kind of larger sub than the th118s?     My reservation here is that the sound quality of the sm80s seems to be a step down from the sh50s.   (I haven't heard them, am going by online posts, so who knows.)

I like the danley sound quality a lot, but even if I go with danley tops, in terms of subs, maybe 4 orbit shifter pros might be better than 4 th118s?   I have two shifter pros and from informal tests they appear to generate more impact than the two th118s.   But, I could be wrong --- only did a very half ass comparison.

Note: I move everything using a forklift, so weight / portability  isn't an important criteria. 

Thanks for any help!

Dre, you will need to post your real name as your display name as per forum rules before you will get any responses. Please go back and make the change and I am sure you will be helped by members here. If you do not, your thread might get locked by a moderator.

on: Yesterday at 04:11:16 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Debbie Dunkley
My most recent IPAD is the IPAD PRO although I am unsure which IPAD was last updated. The PRO and the AIR are running on the same current IOS platform. The IPAD2 is running on an older IOS and the IPOD TOUCH is ancient (by todays standards)!!.

on: Yesterday at 03:32:10 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Dave Garoutte
Sly said it . . . 'Somebody's watching you.'

The singularity approaches. :o

on: Yesterday at 03:27:37 pm 
Started by Bradford "BJ" James - Last post by Dave Garoutte
How much weight are they hanging?
How is it distributed?
Is it within the rating of the truss?
Admittedly, having a joint at the center is not the best scenario.

on: Yesterday at 03:16:42 pm 
Started by Steve Garris - Last post by Jeff Lelko
Great!  Always happy to lend useful advice! 

HTP stands for Highest Takes Precedence and LTP is Latest Takes Precedence.  Let's say we're layering two different presets/memories/submasters, each having an assigned value to a specific channel (for instance Preset 1 has Channel 1 at 50% and Preset 2 has Channel 1 at 75%).  If I run both presets at the same time in an HTP environment Channel 1 will go to 75%, as that's the highest of the two commanded values.  If I then fade down Preset 2, Channel 1 will fade until it hits 50%, at which point Preset 1 is now the highest value so it'll stay at that level until I either fade up something else or pull down Preset 1.  In an LTP environment, pulling down Preset 2 will take Channel 1 to 0% despite the fact Preset 1 is still active because the movement of Preset 2 was the most recent command made to that channel.

Typically you use HTP for dimmers and intensity channels and LTP for moving light attributes or LED color mixing.  Lack of LTP is a dealbreaker for me on any platform meant for LEDs or moving lights because of how dynamic attributes can be.  If I have a scene set onstage and want to "bump" a color into moving lights or LEDs via a bump/flash button but the color I'm bumping is lower on the 0-255 scale than what's currently being sent, the effect won't work.  The board would essentially ignore that input in an HTP environment, whereas in LTP the desired effect will bump in when pressed since it was the most recent command executed, yet the scene can be set to "rubber-band" back to its original value once the bump button is released.  I hope that makes sense!  If everything is preprogrammed and scripted this isn't a big deal, but I'm sure you can see why in a busking environment it wouldn't really work.

Have you thought about a small but capable hardware console?  While I have yet to get hands on one, the QuickQ Series from ChamSys is quite promising.   

on: Yesterday at 02:57:10 pm 
Started by Bradford "BJ" James - Last post by Bradford "BJ" James
I am renting out some ST-132's to a customer.  They're planning on using 4 sticks of 6' Global 12" box truss to hang some lights. 24' span. The lifts are adequate, but I'd rather see them using 3x 8'(...and also would prefer to rent that to them). Any dangers using the 6' sections other than a little more deflection?  The weight will be within the rated maximum for the ST-132's.
Cheers. BJ

on: Yesterday at 02:52:52 pm 
Started by Steve Garris - Last post by Steve Garris
What I can't comment on with certainty is how DMXIS then handles HTP vs. LTP.  Last time I played with DMXIS (about a year or so ago) we couldn't figure out how to enable LTP on presets.  Maybe we just missed it, but if that's a truly missing feature then that makes moving lights very difficult to use, especially in a busking scenario. 

Hope this all helps!         

Yes, helping immensely!

Not sure what HTP and LTP is. I typically use preset scenes if I'm busking. I've never used pallets. As for the movers, we have only (2) focusable movers, and (6) mini wash movers in our show. (1) Universe is fine, but I'm sure as I learn more I'll want more. I'm coming from this progression: Cheap dmx board > Magic 260 > Luminair3. The Luminair has the oscillators and a separate movement generator, much like you're describing. It works, but like you said it's very limited.

I'm going to keep looking, and I'll check out those that you mentioned. My concern is that the Mac-software-midi connectivity will be too complicated. I've not worked in any recording scenario and I'm not familiar with any DAW, so I've got a lot to learn to make this work. I'm a sound guy that got interested in lighting. I just wish there was a "package software" that would do it all, made specifically for band lighting.

on: Yesterday at 02:45:17 pm 
Started by dre - Last post by dre
Hi All,

I currently have a danley system in a forest install that I'm happy with (two sh50s, two th812's and a dna20k4, signal from a nice schiit dac/pre setup) and am looking to put together a second, cheaper system, also for a small outside space.

I already have a dna20k4 amp, and two th118s.   What is a good bang-for-buck way to build this out for (1) bass heavy music but (2) where accuracy/sound quality is important?   

An obvious would be two sh50s and two more th118s for a total of 4 (this is about $12k I think). 

Or is it better to put more $$$ into the subs, and do sm80s and some kind of larger sub than the th118s?     My reservation here is that the sound quality of the sm80s seems to be a step down from the sh50s.   (I haven't heard them, am going by online posts, so who knows.)

I like the danley sound quality a lot, but even if I go with danley tops, in terms of subs, maybe 4 orbit shifter pros might be better than 4 th118s?   I have two shifter pros and from informal tests they appear to generate more impact than the two th118s.   But, I could be wrong --- only did a very half ass comparison.

Note: I move everything using a forklift, so weight / portability  isn't an important criteria. 

Thanks for any help!

on: Yesterday at 02:28:10 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by brian maddox
Mmm - I'm not fully liking that aspect at all.......
My main thing though in this particular instance is that I had other devices on and charging - a few feet away from the new device - IPAD PRO, IPAD AIR, IPAD2, IPHONE and even an old IPOD TOUCH. YET it chose the IPAD AIR without instruction to do so. I could have been replacing any IPAD I own with the new one or simply adding to the herd.  Co-incidence? Maybe I suppose -but what are the odds??

was the iPad Air the last iDevice you may have bought or updated?  Is it the "newest" iDevice? I'm just thinking that the decision had to be based on something more than just "we've been listening to Debbie for weeks now and she seems to really Like that iPad Air". 

At least i'm pretty sure that's the case...  [see slightly-paranoid-but-probably-not really post above...]

on: Yesterday at 01:24:53 pm 
Started by Tom Bourke - Last post by jim whitmer
Had this happen on a GLD during a show. NOT fun! Luckily I figured out what was happing quickly.

Fortunately it was newer unit and under warranty. A&H said it was a grounding issue with the fader. I don't know if they replaced or repaired it.

Definitely contact A&H support. They walked me through another issue I had with another GLD. They even sent me photos of the area in need of repair and what to look for.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 14 queries.