ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:40:13 am 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by Frank Caridi
Hi Frank - welcome to the forum. 

I would argue that your choice of sub today matters less for your current speakers, than for what your current plans are.  Ideally, your sub choice will match future new main speakers - i.e. if you are going to eventually move to JBL SRX812p mains, it would make sense to get the JBL SRX818sp subs as they will match, which saves some headaches.  It's possible to mix and match, but that requires some setup know how, and as someone mentioned, since most of the subs in your list are more similar than different (passive subs excepted), it's better to just get matching gear if you can.

RE protecting your current main speakers - yes, turn the 50Hz high-pass filter on on your amp.  That will help, but ideally you will want a higher rolloff - somewhere between 80Hz and 120Hz, depending on some other variables.  This is best done with a DSP, but can probably be approximated if you have a digital mixing board.

Thank you! Yes that does make sense! I can go cheaper with the subwoofer and get samsons 18in subwoofer but I wasnít crazy about the subwoofer! The speakers I do like. But my question for get the passive subwoofer cause I see Iím going to have to buy a lot more gear to get that and I just donít have the know how yet to dabble with that. My question is if I get the ETX 18sp it has a lot of DSP and functionality but if I go with that I can set the crossover in there to send the 100hz and higher to my tops is this correct? Cause with the Qsc I donít see that option.
This would make my life a lot simpler if the subwoofer has the crossover built in!

on: Today at 09:37:52 am 
Started by Dan Richardson - Last post by David Allred
Yes -it is and mine are no where near 44lbs - just thought I'd mention it.

Suppose you could mount small side or front fill speakers on there.  I wouldn't, but you could.

on: Today at 09:35:01 am 
Started by George Herbert - Last post by David Allred
A good lineup would then be DBR->DXR->DZR.  All very distinct price brackets, and all distinct levels of output and quality.

I am not as sure about the subs though.  DXS->DXS-XLF?

Seems they like the D(igital?) and the R(eenforcement?), but have painted themselves in the corner with Z for future improved models.  Guess Z means ultimate or last.

on: Today at 09:34:09 am 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by TJ (Tom) Cornish
Yes I know the Pevey subs are passive and Iím going to need an amp but the amp that I use to run the Samsonís have a 50hz cut off so is it safe to say that that will be okay? Or just go with an active subwoofer so I can use the subwoofer to set the crossover and send letís say 100hz to the tops and everything lower to the subwoofer?
Hi Frank - welcome to the forum. 

I would argue that your choice of sub today matters less for your current speakers, than for what your future plans are.  Ideally, your sub choice will match future new main speakers - i.e. if you are going to eventually move to JBL SRX812p mains, it would make sense to get the JBL SRX818sp subs as they will match, which saves some headaches.  It's possible to mix and match, but that requires some setup know how, and as someone mentioned, since most of the subs in your list are more similar than different (passive subs excepted), it's better to just get matching gear if you can.

RE protecting your current main speakers - yes, turn the 50Hz high-pass filter on on your amp.  That will help, but ideally you will want a higher rolloff - somewhere between 80Hz and 120Hz, depending on some other variables.  This is best done with a DSP, but can probably be approximated if you have a digital mixing board.

on: Today at 09:25:29 am 
Started by Ivan Beaver - Last post by David Allred
And then Ivan rolled out the Matterhorn  ;D ;D

Has it ever been used for an actual music event?  Or was it just a labor of love?

on: Today at 09:08:58 am 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by Frank Caridi
You're going to need some form of active crossover/dsp.  Your latest post you suggest the Peavey single 18" Versarray sub as a possibility, and that sub is not powered or processed, just like your Samson tops.  This makes an active crossover a necessity, along with proper amplification of both tops and subs

Running those Samson speakers full range with a sub will likely lead to premature failure of the woofers in those Samsons. 

Best regards,

John

Yes I know the Pevey subs are passive and Iím going to need an amp but the amp that I use to run the Samsonís have a 50hz cut off so is it safe to say that that will be okay? Or just go with an active subwoofer so I can use the subwoofer to set the crossover and send letís say 100hz to the tops and everything lower to the subwoofer?

on: Today at 08:54:10 am 
Started by RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS - Last post by TJ (Tom) Cornish
Potentially overkill, but each doubling of subs increases sensitivity by 3 dB, using 8 subs will use less than 1/10th the power to achieve the same SPL as one would, +9 dB and no power compression.

6800+ peak draw for one cabinet might stall a low power generator, drop that to 680 watts peak, or 68 watts average, and no worries.

Art
Admittedly it's early morning math so no warranties are expressed or implied, but for 100dBSPL at 30 meters I get about 130dBSPL at 1 meter.  That's 6dB down from the continuous spec of a single TH118, which should be more like 425 watts continuous + some subjective peak value; maybe a couple thousand watts peak as seen by the generator, but probably less due to amplifier energy storage.  RE distortion and power compression - we're 12dB down from the rated peak value of a single TH118 - about 6% of the electrical power handling of the speaker.  That is FAR from power compression/ excessive distortion.

Headroom is nice and all, but it ain't free, and the transport size, weight, and setup time seem to be extremely overkill for the application.  My typical client for that situation would also probably prefer to not see a mountain of speakers, either.

I've done the local professional basketball arena with 4 TH118 for moderate music, and hip hop a couple times in a 100' x 220' shed, again with 4 TH118.  It might have been nice to have a couple more boxes for the 20,000 seat basketball arena, (not so much the hip hop shows) but that would have radically changed the logistics of the show, and driven the costs up quite a bit for no practical benefit.

YMMV, etcetera.

P.S. - I will say that you can trip a 20A breaker with an ITech HD 12000 driving a pair of TH118 at full-tilt-boogie.  To the sensitivity point above, I have had no problems running two ITHD12Ks each with a pair of TH118 off the same 208v 20A circuit.

on: Today at 08:48:14 am 
Started by christoffer hafer - Last post by Steven Eudaly
What kind of Linearray is it. I remember the handles but cannot name the brand

Looks like L'Acoustics Kara with SB18 sub.

on: Today at 08:18:00 am 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by John Halliburton
I donít have active crossovers. I need a subwoofer that would do that my speakers are passive.

You're going to need some form of active crossover/dsp.  Your latest post you suggest the Peavey single 18" Versarray sub as a possibility, and that sub is not powered or processed, just like your Samson tops.  This makes an active crossover a necessity, along with proper amplification of both tops and subs

Running those Samson speakers full range with a sub will likely lead to premature failure of the woofers in those Samsons. 

Best regards,

John

on: Today at 08:02:03 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Lyle Williams

The level of the intermod products depends on the port isolation and the number and power of input signals.

The frequency location of the intermod products depends on the choices you have made for transmitter frequencies, as well as the frequencies of other transmitters in the area.

The succeptablity of your receivers to interference depends on the quality and qualities of the receivers.

As just about everything can vary, results can vary.  If you have a situation where intermod is starting to be a problem, then a combiner with better port isolation will probably fix it.

It is easy to heckle and say it sounds like audiophile garbage.  Some reading on the basics of RF technology may help.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 15 queries.