ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:55:33 pm 
Started by Bob Cap - Last post by Tim McCulloch
We had a small accident with our truck last week. a guy in a pickup truck tried to pass us on an icy road, lost control, hit the back of my truck and threw us in quite a bit of a spin back & forth. Got it back under control and discovered the rails inside the box had ripped off the wall and quite a bit of gear flew around.

We lost 9 of the 10 RCF ART500a speakers. The LS9/32 is trashed. Our wireless rack of 10 AT3000 wireless systems is questionable and several road cases are broken....

Now I am working with the insurance co...

I need some suggestions for replacements:

Monitors - 10 - 15 x 2 self powered
Mixer - replace the LS9/32
Wireless - What to replace the AT3000 series.

Throw me a few suggestions if you were doing this what would you get.

Thanks much

Bob Cap

Sorry to hear you lost some gear but it's great that you/your crew were not injured.

Insurance settlement aside, what would you buy to upgrade this rig, and what's your pain point (budget)?

NAMM is coming up this week, might see what is new and exciting.

on: Today at 07:48:42 pm 
Started by Bob Cap - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Better road cases...just sayin lol

Or mo' betta load control, to go with the replacement gear.  Just sayin'.

on: Today at 07:34:51 pm 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by Jeremy Young
Thanks guys that's great feedback. 

My pricing spreadsheet has all kinds of math behind the scenes to cover all the little pieces that make up the system (mixer needs a snake and UPS, speaker needs a stand and cables, etc).  Then the pricing is based on what I've calculated to be a fair compromise between my ideal ROI timeline (shorter for electronics and flashy things, longer for cables/stands/cabinets) and what the market seems to be willing to bear from the few quotes I've been doing so far.  I have my pricing on my website but as I re-examine my operating expenses and inventory I'm thinking I'll probably take that down.

I've been doing labour as a flat-rate for setup/teardown based on the rig size/PIA factor, then hourly for "tech time" during the event, plus a delivery charge again based on rig size and distance from my "shop" (living room).

Tim you're right that my time re-configuring my rigs needs to be compensated from the beginning or I'll lose my shirt once I get busy.  I need to sit down with a few local providers and find out (if they're willing to share) how they handle the labour side of things once you get beyond the ankle-biter gigs.

Both my mixers (iLive mixracks) are living in in a pair of racks: a larger rack for the 32-preamp one with a distro and big amps; and a smaller rack for the 16-preamp one with smaller amps that ends up being a monitor rack for the bigger gigs.  Both have UPS, POE switches with POE artnet/DMX and WAP's, plus the dante cards in each so I can link them.  For a lounger I'm living in luxury I must say.  That's why it pained me to break down the smaller one into even smaller parts chasing the idea that I could do every gig without help.  Even when I include the "PIA" factor into my pricing for labour, I need to bite the bullet and hire help instead of just suffering through it myself, which would eliminate some of the load-in issues I've been stumbling over and trying to use inventory to solve. 

Tim, I think I've shared this before, but my first job in this industry was for a company that was very "proprietary".   The owner was a fantastic FOH tech and good with woodworking, but I always heard him defending his rig to TM's when trying to secure us work and it was always an uphill battle. I've heard you make the "system" plea to people many times, and I couldn't agree more that leaving the R&D to the manufacturers is the most reliable way to get consistent performance from locally supplied rigs when you're touring.  I plan to target that touring-act business where it falls within my capabilities.

That's what I had in mind when I started this thread, knowing I had a Danley DSP on my buy-list, so something smaller from Danley for a subwoofer seemed to make sense.  Still sort of does if the venue is small enough, but I have to evaluate that need against other needs (and my wedding gets closer every day, haha).  As Tim said, spending money on "things in demand, or that will create more demand" makes sense.

on: Today at 07:15:16 pm 
Started by Bob Cap - Last post by Bob Stone
Better road cases...just sayin lol

on: Today at 06:43:15 pm 
Started by Bob Cap - Last post by Bob Cap
We had a small accident with our truck last week. a guy in a pickup truck tried to pass us on an icy road, lost control, hit the back of my truck and threw us in quite a bit of a spin back & forth. Got it back under control and discovered the rails inside the box had ripped off the wall and quite a bit of gear flew around.

We lost 9 of the 10 RCF ART500a speakers. The LS9/32 is trashed. Our wireless rack of 10 AT3000 wireless systems is questionable and several road cases are broken....

Now I am working with the insurance co...

I need some suggestions for replacements:

Monitors - 10 - 15 x 2 self powered
Mixer - replace the LS9/32
Wireless - What to replace the AT3000 series.

Throw me a few suggestions if you were doing this what would you get.

Thanks much

Bob Cap

on: Today at 06:27:57 pm 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by Rob Spence
I have an inventory of variously sized gear, all of it quality (but not all top tier).
It isnít a set of configured rigs that go out but more a tool box to select from. One size does not fit all. Recently I replaced passive subs with TH118s with plate amps. This eliminated a 70lb amp and made it so I can take any of my subs with no amp racks.

When offered a gig, I evaluate what gear will most appropriately do the gig to the clients satisfaction and then price it. This takes into consideration any pita factor based on the venue (like the need for more crew).

I have a spreadsheet with the inventory and gear price points for dry rentals, cross rentals & part of production.

One section for audio, one for lighting, one for cross rented gear. There is a place for a regular customer discount.

Next is a section on labor. Items for shop, load in/out, run time, wait time and overtime.

Next is transport.

I plug in the values and out comes my price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

on: Today at 06:19:32 pm 
Started by Chris Poynter - Last post by Frank Czar
Years ago I used the Behringer Shark, I can vouch for the delay part of it, it worked fine. I never used any of the other stuff it offers, fb suppression, comp, gate, eq. tiny package and $99.00

on: Today at 06:09:45 pm 
Started by Justice C. Bigler - Last post by Jeff Lelko
I've never been a sports fan. But I especially hate football. 8 years of indentured servitude in marching band will do that.

I was in marching band back in high school - it's actually one of my favorite memories from that point in life.  As far as professional sports go, I've never followed them.  Growing up in Cleveland will do that to you...  In fact, the last time I went to a baseball game was because I was paid to be there!  I just think it's crazy though how much social media has infected society.  Last month I put on a small fireworks display for a wedding on Miami Beach and the number of Instagram model wannabes polluting the area was insane!  It was like a forest of zombies and selfie sticks!  I just don't understand the need to share pictures of myself to feel validated by a bunch of people I don't know...

on: Today at 05:57:46 pm 
Started by Brian Larson - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I've always found a 1K Par does the trick when a load is needed.
Makes a nice heater too.
-20C up here this morning, -31C with the wind.
That's -24 or something for the non-metric of the world...
Where's a bar-o-six when you want some heat ?
Chris.

Or back when big frame analog consoles were king, and you could warm the FOH tent with the desk and its power supplies.

on: Today at 05:56:18 pm 
Started by Justice C. Bigler - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I've never been a sports fan. But I especially hate football. 8 years of indentured servitude in marching band will do that.

I didn't play in the band (piano is hard to march with, back in the day) but share your resentment of the Worship of Football (good thing I'm not in Texas).  High school, collegiate, professional... does not matter.

As George Carlin implied, the masses must have their attention diverted so they don't realize "they've been thrown overboard by a system that fucked them 35 (now almost 50) years ago."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 15 queries.