ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:43:09 am 
Started by Jay Brett - Last post by Keith Broughton

Usually when the dance floor space is well defined we "4 corner" the system...cheating placement as needed.
Why 4 corner?
Why not down blow?
What is the advantage and disadvantage of each?

on: Today at 06:40:11 am 
Started by Stephen Snipes - Last post by Lee Buckalew
Given that they want to own the PA for volunteers to use, I'd second what Lance just posted.

A pile of 12" (or 10") active boxes would be useful for delays, fills, monitors, and anything else apart from main PA for the outdoor show. For that, the Danley or JTR rig would do nicely.

Smaller gigs could use an active box and a sub per side, and use the rest of the active boxes for monitoring.

Chris

So, why would you recommend a Danley 12" box but not an "active" 12" box? 
What specifically is better for volunteers to use? 
Perhaps you meant to only compare that to an MI type box like the Yamaha's that were listed?

Just curious what the actual differences are that make Danley somehow a better choice over anything active (which Danley also makes).

Lee

on: Today at 06:28:18 am 
Started by Mike Sullivan - Last post by David Winners
Anyone heard the Turbosound Flashline coaxial monitors?  Comes in both 15" and 12" variants, "1100 watt" amplifier (I know, Behringer watts, probably something like 550w RMS if I had to guess), and around $749 street for the 12" model.  Only thing I don't like seeing so far is the lack of Powercon but is given for the price point.  Similar look to the dB Technologies Flexsys FM12, but a little narrower & deeper, and around 37lbs so not bad weight wise.  Would like to take a listen to these and see how they perform, I'd like a nice compact coax monitor for the low level shows I do (bar shows, small festival non-national work, etc)

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Turbosound/FLASHLINE-MONITORS/TFX122M-AN/p/P0BMU

EDIT: After a bit more looking around, there seem to be two variants of each size. One version of the 12's is 1100 watts with an IEC connector for $749, and another version is 2500 watts with Powercon connectors and is $1799 street.  Makes me wonder...

Here's my reply from another thread:

I'm just a bar band guy, and haven't performed with a lot of touring level equipment. That being said, the 12" version of the Flashline Monitor - TFX122M-AN, is the best wedge I've ever stood behind. I've only run vocals and acoustic guitar through them. Super clean and intelligible. Will get stupid loud. Can't wait to play on that rig again.

They are also the most expensive wedge I've ever used as well. I wish I could afford them. If I can't have my ears in, I want one of these in front of me.

on: Today at 06:12:57 am 
Started by Jonathan Bishop - Last post by Jano Svitok
OLA https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/ola is one example (it runs at least on linux/osx; linux means you can use raspberry as a converter).

QLC+ (http://qlcplus.org/) can do it (linux, windows, osx). Ask me if you want to try this way and need a step by step help.

on: Today at 05:56:43 am 
Started by Jonathan Goodall - Last post by Kevin McDonough
Twenty two deaths so far.

Someone on the radio this morning pointed out that whilst security with bag searches, etc. is the norm with people going into venues before the show starts, there is very little control at the end of the show when most people are leaving.

Obviously this will have to be addressed now.

Steve.

yeah, being an artist that would have attracted lots of teenage kids/girls etc, it seems there would have been a lot of young people there and so a lot of parents waiting in the foyer at the end to collect people, would have been much busier and many more people standing about than just the usual people all streaming out from the hall in one direction.

Seems that someone took advantage of this and got into the foyer with a device, waiting till everyone was leaving and then used it  :'(

k

on: Today at 05:42:27 am 
Started by Jamin Lynch - Last post by Steve M Smith
And it looks cool too... at least, it probably does to us weirdos!

Steve,

on: Today at 05:40:49 am 
Started by Bob Leonard - Last post by Steve M Smith
Bob, appreciate your review on the X-touch....I toy with getting one of these for fun....this helps give me more confidence.

I have an XR16 and an X-Touch  I think they are both great.

The Behringer of today is not the same as that of the past.

I also recently bought a Behringer Xenyx X2222 mixer for times when I just wanted something small for a few inputs.  I am impressed.  Internal effects, two separate monitor sends and a simple compressor on all eight mic channels.

Steve.

on: Today at 05:19:47 am 
Started by Stephen Snipes - Last post by Chris Grimshaw
Given that they want to own the PA for volunteers to use, I'd second what Lance just posted.

A pile of 12" (or 10") active boxes would be useful for delays, fills, monitors, and anything else apart from main PA for the outdoor show. For that, the Danley or JTR rig would do nicely.

Smaller gigs could use an active box and a sub per side, and use the rest of the active boxes for monitoring.

Chris

on: Today at 04:33:38 am 
Started by Jay Brett - Last post by MikeHarris
Having done over 50 clubs in the past 45 years we have never fired the speakers at the floor.
I believe you are right to question placement. Usually when the dance floor space is well defined we "4 corner" the system...cheating placement as needed.

on: Today at 04:30:57 am 
Started by Chris Delcambre - Last post by Kevin McDonough
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on how to calculate the spacing in between clusters of subs... I am going to be doing a show where I have 4 groups of 3 srx728 subs in front of a stage... each cluster will be setup with forward, backward, forward sub configuration... my question is how do you properly calculate the proper distance in between each cluster of 3 subs... I generally do end fired arrays however at this event I do not have the space available to do this...

Thanks
Chris

Haha I get to beat Ivan to it and say "it depends" lol!  The distance can be a few cm up to a few feet really, depending on what you're wanting to achieve. In order to couple and appear as one source they ideally need to be within 1/4 wavelength spacing. So if you really start to move them far apart, the wider you make them the more you'll start to lose that coupling and they'll start to act more like 4 individual sources as you go up in frequency towards their crossover to the tops.

However what also counts after that is what delay you give them and how you want them to perform. 

If you don't put any other delay on them other than just that needed to make the reverse sub work as cardioid  (or you maybe delay the whole array to match with the tops, but not delay any of the groups of 3 different to the others) then, again as you start to space wider, they'll start to focus the sound forward more and more into a column of sound up the centre of the venue.

To counter this and to force the sound to spread out again into more of an arc increasing delay is often added to each cluster as you move out left and right from the centre. In your case that would mean maybe adding a little delay to the two outer stacks. Exactly how much will depend on how wide you've spaced the stacks and how much you want to curve the sound outwards.

LOL, so with all that said, by far the easiest way is to use software and get a chance to visualise it.

Ease Focus is free and can be used to calculate arrays, or you could download Meyer or D&B's software among others.

While none of the subs used in the software will match exactly with the subs you're using, they'll be close enough to give you a good starting point. You can have a play in the software and see how adding different spacing and different amounts of delay changes things, and it'll give you an idea of how you want things set up, from which you can tweak on the day to make sure you're happy with the sound.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 12 queries.