Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:26:47 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by John Fruits
Here is this for some help with the stage terms:
https://binged.it/2qR8sVU

on: Today at 01:00:31 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Once your Digital Indoctrination is complete you will welcome our new robot overlords.  ;)

Welcome back!

on: Today at 12:46:27 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Jason Glass
What equipment is required to pinpoint the exact source of the interference in an LED wall? I expect a spectrum analyzer and a highly directional antenna?
Are there highly directional antennas available that would work with the rf explorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I mounted one of these on a handle and usually insert attenuation for radiolocation with a spectrum analyzer:

http://www.wa5vjb.com/products1.html

Any passive LPDA Such as the Shure PA805, Sennheiser A2003UHF, or Audio-Technica ATW-A49 would work just as well.

Often, walking around with a PSM1000 pack with its standard whip antenna and listening for telltale whistling works better than a spectrum analyzer for location. Many sources have such wide bandwidth that it's not easy to see their signals on a spectrum trace.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

on: Today at 12:19:14 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by Patrick Tracy
After a few years of semi retirement I'm back doing live sound on a regular basis. This time it's a performing arts center in an institute of higher learning rather than bands in bars. No more van full of gear, but I have to (get to) enter the 21st century and learn to mix live on a digital console. Also, I'm having to dredge up all that theater lingo I used to know, much of it learned here on this forum. Should be interesting.

on: Yesterday at 11:04:49 pm 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Andrew Broughton
Ok, I'm going to say something that might be impractical in the real world.

It's always hard to mess about in someone else's space.

RF interference should be resolved at the source.  Maybe not this show, or the next, but the video wall supplier needs to be shown spectrum analyser images of the interference they are creating, and told to control their emissions.  That may be better grounding, or ferrites on leads, or buying a better system next time.
What equipment is required to pinpoint the exact source of the interference in an LED wall? I expect a spectrum analyzer and a highly directional antenna?
Are there highly directional antennas available that would work with the rf explorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

on: Yesterday at 10:46:23 pm 
Started by Geri O'Neil - Last post by William Schnake

We as sound providers will pitch in, make their system work for the show so they can move on to the next show and repeat the process again.

Sounds Oh so familiar.

Bill

on: Yesterday at 10:04:20 pm 
Started by John Roberts {JR} - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
John - did you look at their website?  The Faraday gloves seem dubious, maybe I just don't understand the application.
Um no... I told you tinfoil hat crowd.....  ::)

JR

on: Yesterday at 09:48:50 pm 
Started by Peter Kowalczyk - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Going over different types of audio connectors and the functions of the pins/connections on the connectors and why just because a plug will fit a jack doesn't always mean you should plug it into that jack.

Maybe take that on into cable types, I don't know how many times I've found guitar players using a speaker cable for a guitar cable, the noise usually is big clue!

The importance of a high pass filter on inputs as well the system/subs realizing and hoping of course that many powered systems should already have one in place.

Basic wireless set up, transmitter gain setting seems to always get overlooked, though today some transmitters do that automatically.

Like already mentioned, stage volume, mic technique, gain staging, don't forget muting effects when talking between songs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

on: Yesterday at 09:35:51 pm 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by Frank Caridi
Return the Sonic Maximizer.  Don't even take it out of the box.  It's awful.  Psychologically you will think it works because it's louder when inserted.  You can do the same with the level and a touch of compression.

You really should call Mike Pyle and get a price on that sub.  Retail sucks. 

BTW this is why I hate answering these threads.  All the advice you received and you did what you wanted.  Emotional validation isn't my strong suit.

Yea thatís what I figured with the sonic maximizer. Prob will
I didnít get the subs for retail cost. I got them discounted but the discount was better on the ev then the jbl. Well of course Iím going to do what I can afford and works best. I came here to have your guys thoughts of the subwoofer cause I figured you hear these things day in and day out. I listen to the subs at the store and liked the ev better. What was I suppose to do? The ev sounded deeper and smoother from what I heard. Grated when I get it in my hands I might not like it after I put it thru itís paces then I will try the jbl. I like the jbl but I just liked the ev better. I prob could have even went with the ekx line and saved more but for the price I got the ETX was almost the price of the EXK. Who is mike? I could have rented but I rather own cause now I can use it for parties if I like it. Or just sell it off eventually. Iím here for help and experience with these. Yes I know my step up isnít ideal but itís not like Iím getting paid for this or anything Iím just playing music at my gf daughter baptism and Iím sure it will sound okay.

on: Yesterday at 09:12:03 pm 
Started by Frank Caridi - Last post by Scott Holtzman
I went to Sam ash and I listen to the 2 subs
Qsc kw181
Ev ETX 18sp
Jbl SRX818SP

And I thought the ETX sounded the best ad I was able to get the best deal on that subwoofer like I said I wonít be doing big partyís or anything the party I will do in my will be around 45 50 ppl no more then 10ft-15ft away from the subwoofer and speakers so it shouldnít be a problem. I ordered a new mixer mackie profx8 it has a HP built in. And a EQ. definitely made everything sound much better and a lot more control I have. I can also push the speakers much harder now that I have the HP. Once I get the subwoofer working with it it should sound pretty good. Deciding if I should get a crown or Samson amp that has crossover built in.
I also got a BBE sonic maxizer for fairly cheap so curious as to how it going to sound. But maybe itís a gimmick will see. If I donít like the ev I can swap it out for the jbl no problem but I didnít feel or hear that much of a difference btw the ev and jbl. Jbl might get a tad louder but the ev sounded so good! My opinion. Hopefully Iíll get it next week and try it out in my house with my mains and let it rip and see what I can get out of it.

Return the Sonic Maximizer.  Don't even take it out of the box.  It's awful.  Psychologically you will think it works because it's louder when inserted.  You can do the same with the level and a touch of compression.

You really should call Mike Pyle and get a price on that sub.  Retail sucks. 

BTW this is why I hate answering these threads.  All the advice you received and you did what you wanted.  Emotional validation isn't my strong suit.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.