Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:11:11 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by Tom Bourke
Keith Rucker?

Mac
Yep,  Keith.  I also follow This old Tony, mrpete222, Clickspring, Abom79, Keith Fenner and a few others I can't think of right now. 

on: Today at 08:10:09 pm 
Started by davidsavill - Last post by Art Welter
Art, we made some A/B tests between a tapped horn inspired by the TH118 and a double 18 reflex box.
Same boxes used same 18 inch drivers. Basically the one that was in the first TH118 boxes.
What we concluded is that 2x18 reflex box went both louder and lower.
Sure, double the power, but SPL difference was very noticeable. Lower extension was not so much, but we did measured few Hz lower cutoof.
Marjan,

My A/B test results copied in post #26 using the BC18SW115-4 in a BR carefully tuned to the same low corner as the Keystone shows the Keystone +5dB at 40 Hz, +8dB at 100Hz, an average of +6 dB over the passband at the same drive level.
Two of the BRs would be much larger than one Keystone, yet would only have +1 dB at 40 Hz (which would be negated by port compression at high power) and less upper output, requiring twice the drivers and power.

PASC reported the Keystone had about 2 dB more output than a TH "inspired" by the TH118 ;^).

Cheers,
Art

on: Today at 07:58:07 pm 
Started by Steve Loewenthal - Last post by Steve Loewenthal
Installment for the day:
I spoke with Peavey tech support.
The Versarray (VR112) has a very similar driver. The "sound guard" protection is essentially a varister plus a lightbulb and/or resistor. He sent the schematics for the many versions of soundguard. He also made some recommendations on dialing in the varister size.

He also suggested swapping the HF driver or amp module with the other "good" box to make sure whether the problem follows the amp or driver before making any repairs.

As to the D-Fend. Looks like a great product, but can't see justifying $200 on a speaker that currently sells for about $600 new, 350 used.

As to if I sell them. (Not likely right away.) I have always been a full disclosure type of person.

As to "run the piss out of them", I just don't see it that way. Overall SPL at our gigs is just way too low.

What I plan to do next is build a pair of protective devices based on the Sound Guard schematics and advice from the Peavey tech and fix what is broken.

on: Today at 07:46:42 pm 
Started by Bob Faulkner - Last post by Bob Faulkner
Thanks for all the great info.  Good point about not all limiters acting the same way.

In using the Crown spreadsheet, I came up with similar numbers (as Lee noted above).  It looks like the RMS numbers should be larger than what is displayed.

So, I tried setting the "suggested" RMS numbers in the Audio Architect software... well, the software does NOT support any attack/release setting below one (1) second for the RMS limiting.

I could probably use the larger values for RMS, but I'm concerned that could result in audio "pumping".

Am I doing something wrong with the software...?

on: Today at 07:39:59 pm 
Started by Richard Turner - Last post by Rob Spence
Yes, they usually attempt to advance the show. For the past few years its been local weekend warriors doing covers who are happy to not have to run cables themselves and have someone on deck to mix foh and monitors. The venue is trying to step up but I'm also working with a limited budget in trying to keep things around $1.66 per ticket for my part of the bill. Ohh yeah those are Canadian dollars too...

There is an AVID dealer/ production house looking at selling off 3-5 SC48 units. ones up on ebay as a feeler at $17500 US without case set up for 48 in 16 out local but they are open to offers, a couple were install leases no case and a couple were corporate use only, couple others were toured regionally. They are open to legitimate offer but I'd guess 15k cash picked up with case would be the lowest till they sit on them for a bit. Thats still way beyond a new s3 with digital stage box 32/16

I'm not much for Soundcraft/JBL based mostly on their dealer network in Canada. They've as much as told me anyone without  half million of current inventory in their warehouse is not seen as a serious customer.

I've been an allen -heath user for over a decade and I do like the QU-16. its a great little utility board and I like the menu layout and remote by tablet.

At this point I'm on the fence between just being the sheep and buying a X32 full size and staying allen heath with a qu-32.

If they want more they will have to pay more, and they money guys will tell them to suck it up or send the bands out with their own FOH rig.

I've got a perfectly good crest century GT -32 channel collecting dust. I just have no interest in dragging it in and out. If there was a year long contract signed with the venue I'd likely just donate it to them along with the outboard and snake for having the steady work.

I'va also got an antique Yamaha MQ 1602, next one to comment on lack of console is getting that for the night.....

Maybe after this coming A&H announcement you may find some GLDs for good prices?

on: Today at 07:38:58 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Richard Turner
Weller WTCPT

youll find them all day long on ebay used for $50 only downside is you need to swap tips to change temp but if your just giving a touch of solder here and there on patch cords or inside a guitar its a very temp stable and reliable unit. I've soldered on lots of 8ga battery lugs and stuff as fine as 30ga with my antique one.

on: Today at 07:35:53 pm 
Started by Gary Weller - Last post by Scott Bolt
I have the DRS 112 over the DXS 118 Yamaha subs. I have plenty of rig for the 250-300 capacity bars that a powered rig usually works in.  The subs do a fine job
Hey Kemper,

I have heard quite good things about the DXS 18 as well.  The rumor is that they sound as good as the JBL PRX's and hit harder.  I would have been heading out to the store for a pair except for the fact that they are 110 lbs vs my PRX's being only 81 lbs .... and I really don't NEED more bass ..... I just WANT more bass ;)

on: Today at 07:29:37 pm 
Started by Richard Turner - Last post by Richard Turner
Yes, they usually attempt to advance the show. For the past few years its been local weekend warriors doing covers who are happy to not have to run cables themselves and have someone on deck to mix foh and monitors. The venue is trying to step up but I'm also working with a limited budget in trying to keep things around $1.66 per ticket for my part of the bill. Ohh yeah those are Canadian dollars too...

There is an AVID dealer/ production house looking at selling off 3-5 SC48 units. ones up on ebay as a feeler at $17500 US without case set up for 48 in 16 out local but they are open to offers, a couple were install leases no case and a couple were corporate use only, couple others were toured regionally. They are open to legitimate offer but I'd guess 15k cash picked up with case would be the lowest till they sit on them for a bit. Thats still way beyond a new s3 with digital stage box 32/16

I'm not much for Soundcraft/JBL based mostly on their dealer network in Canada. They've as much as told me anyone without  half million of current inventory in their warehouse is not seen as a serious customer.

I've been an allen -heath user for over a decade and I do like the QU-16. its a great little utility board and I like the menu layout and remote by tablet.

At this point I'm on the fence between just being the sheep and buying a X32 full size and staying allen heath with a qu-32.

If they want more they will have to pay more, and they money guys will tell them to suck it up or send the bands out with their own FOH rig.

I've got a perfectly good crest century GT -32 channel collecting dust. I just have no interest in dragging it in and out. If there was a year long contract signed with the venue I'd likely just donate it to them along with the outboard and snake for having the steady work.

I'va also got an antique Yamaha MQ 1602, next one to comment on lack of console is getting that for the night.....

on: Today at 07:10:05 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by David Buckley
As a Metcal owner, I'd (of course) argue there is only one iron to have at home.  It was a big investment a number of years ago, but a "no regrets" investment.  So yeah, crazy expensive, for a soldiering iron.  I bought once, and cried, just once.

I have several that live in toolbags, but they are disposables, and I have no attachment to them!

Most of the time, for most jobs, soldering irons are like mixers; if you cant do it on a mixwiz, the problem isn't the hardware.

on: Today at 06:59:59 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by David Buckley
Autotransformers with automatic tap changers are a thing, which do keep a reasonably consistent output voltage.  A full transformer is, for some applications, even better:  The Salicru RE series was a really good example of this, an isolating multi-tapped transformer, with the tap selection done by triac, so it was really fast at following input voltage changes, no more flickering lights.

Underneath that marketing babble is, as ever, a grain of truth; for appliances that are resistive loads, like a kettle, if the voltage is low, then they will use less current, and heat up more slowly, Ohms Law tells us this.

So put two kettles on, or three, then the supply voltage will reduce due to voltage drop, and thus with the reduced supply voltage the wattage per appliance drops.

Marc covered motors, something I'm pretty hazy on!

Stuff with switch mode supplies doesn't care much about supply voltage, it adjusts the current draw to deliver the required output power.

Of course, adding an autotranny to a supply that is already voltage challenged by the load applied will increase the supply current, which will cause further voltage drop, which cannot go on forever, eventually the supply current must exceed the protection device to protect the supply wiring.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 14 queries.