ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 04:51:11 pm 
Started by Steve Crump - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I think I am right where I need to be. I don't have the willingness to make the financial investment into gear to go to the next level. Not now.

The real story is that historically one of these community shows have at times attracted up to 500-600 people. Over the past few years marketing has dropped off and the attendance has too. We have a new group working these shows and hope to get the numbers back up and since I have jumped in the mix I don't won't to fall short on my system if the numbers reach that again. So, I am just planning ahead and trying to decide what my first move will be, if we are that fortunate. Heck if it goes to a 1000 we would have to move and re-think everything anyway.

I agree with your assessment of your position, and if the event grows your fee needs to grow as well if you're having to upgrade or expand.

There's a lot to be said for staying a relatively small operation, especially if production isn't your primary source of income.

The real question is "does my rig sound tonally balanced for the program material being played?"  If the answer is yes, then you can get as loud as the first pass band to go into hard limit or approach mechanical failure.  If you need more SPL you'll need additional or different loudspeakers; ditto if your coverage angles change.

The question your event organizers need to answer for themselves (and you) is if they want a "concert experience" over the entire area or would rather have some space where the SPL isn't as high, concentrating the "experience" closer to the stage.  In the latter is the case you may need to do nothing at all...

on: Today at 04:47:13 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by David Buckley
Five died in a Turkish water park from Electric Shock Drowning (ESD). Water and electricity don't mix...

My missus asked me if I'd heard about this last night; whatever news item she was reading suggested that there was no RCD (GFCI) on the supplying circuit and had there been one then these folks would be alive today.

on: Today at 04:45:41 pm 
Started by Chris Edwards - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
Sure thing, pal. ;)

While it was a very public failure I think Samsung handled it about as well as could be done:  they found the problem, thought they'd fixed it and finally recalled and refunded/replaced every purchase.  This level of engagement probably kept the problem from becoming an even bigger publicity issue for them.
Yes, the "thought they fixed" was the interesting part to me (because I'm a technology nerd). The phone had two different battery vendors and their initial ASSumption was that the fault condition was only occurring with one vendor's batteries... BZZT wrongo.

Turns out the fault vector was two fold... the mechanical packaging was too tight around the battery, and size tolerance of batteries was sloppy enough that the lack of clearance caused some batteries to overheat and fail. Once they melt the fireworks really start  :o . Besides cutting back to just one battery vendor, IIRC they also tried using a slower charging rate to keep battery temperature down, but no luck.  :-[

The decisions to axe the entire model was surely a difficult decision involving millions of dollars loss, and an unexpected sales/market share bump for their competitors.

Yes they eventually got it right, and I completely understand the foot dragging and "hail mary" attempts to rescue the valuable program. 
A small handful of problem SKUs in a company with so many divisions, products and markets is not the end of world for Samsung and I'd assert that for most consumers the Note 7 fiasco is already a faded memory.

And right now I'd rather have stock in Samsung than in Toshiba...
I'd rather not own stock in either...

Toshiba, where to begin?  I recall when Toshiba was caught selling secret submarine concealment technology to Russia back in the 80s (quiet prop design). More recently they are in the news because their Westinghouse subsidiary (they bought to get an inroad into the US nuclear power plant business) has recently declared bankruptcy due to reverses in that industry.  ::)

Probably not a good time for nuclear power plants or clean coal. My local clean coal power plant has been running on natural gas since 2015 because A) it's cheaper and B) it actually works reliably...  The >$7B they spent building the (not yet) SOTA clean coal power plant looks like a massive white elephant. The new technology was not close to operational when project started (maybe not even now after years of delays), and clean coal is not cheaper than gas, so why spend the extra $B?. After multiple announcements every several months that they would be bringing the clean coal plant on line any day now, the local utility rate commissions finally said "no mas" they can't charge us rate payers for the extra $B that they wasted, or run the more expensive clean coal. I suspect we ratepayers will still pay one way or the other.

JR

on: Today at 04:37:48 pm 
Started by David Allred - Last post by David Buckley
Can multiple instances of the "Edit" software be used concurrently on the same computer to control a single mixer?  Is anyone doing it?

I routinely use two pieces of software on the same computer to control an X32R, they being X32-Edit and something I wrote myself. 

on: Today at 04:34:07 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by David Buckley
...officials say the lock-out system used to shut off power was affixed to the wrong circuit breaker.

That is very ambiguous.  Does it mean that Rowe switched off and locked out the wrong circuit breaker through his misunderstanding, or was there some mislabeling which meant that Rowe thought he'd done the right thing?

This is why I always do my Lock-Out/Tag-Out myself, and then test to make sure the power is actually OFF.

That's excellent advice, and indeed required in some jurisdictions.  A good electrician will use (or be required to use) a prove / test / prove approach, so that one knows that when the tester says "no volts" the tester was actually working.

on: Today at 04:29:43 pm 
Started by Ryan C. Davis - Last post by Steve Loewenthal
Several years ago I ran a mic cable a few hundred feet to an SM57 mic. It worked just fine. The cable was a combination of a 100 footer, a couple at 50 feet, few more at about 30 and bunch more 20 footers.

on: Today at 04:21:23 pm 
Started by Steve Crump - Last post by Steve Crump
Each tier (the "next level") involves improvements to every aspect of your operation:  If you get more/better subs to do larger audiences or different genres, you'll be upgrading your amp racks (or AC distribution if you use powered speakers) and the "higher level" of acts you work with may necessitate upgrades to your mixers, monitors and packaging/transportation.

I wrote a blog post over at Soundforums dot net back in 2013 that is still mostly accurate:

https://soundforums.net/blogs/tim-mcculloch/160970-the-next-level-the-unicorn-of-the-production-business

I think I am right where I need to be. I don't have the willingness to make the financial investment into gear to go to the next level. Not now.

The real story is that historically one of these community shows have at times attracted up to 500-600 people. Over the past few years marketing has dropped off and the attendance has too. We have a new group working these shows and hope to get the numbers back up and since I have jumped in the mix I don't won't to fall short on my system if the numbers reach that again. So, I am just planning ahead and trying to decide what my first move will be, if we are that fortunate. Heck if it goes to a 1000 we would have to move and re-think everything anyway.

on: Today at 04:07:43 pm 
Started by Cesar Acosta - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I rent out a small PA, which consists of 2 Alto black 12 tops and usually one Alto black 18 sub. Spec sheet rates each speaker at 6A. Even just using those 3 I'm going over the 15A for the wall outlet. I'm also using 4 LED par lights and a mixer. There's usually no other sources of AC power where I rent this system out, just regular wall outlets. Should I be concerned with the power requirements? I haven't had any problems yet, nor have I noticed and heating at all in the cables I use.

I'm also concerned, since the full system would consist of two tops, two subs and a couple monitors. I don't know the power draw for the monitors, but it should be much lower, since the monitors are only 600W peak, compared to the 2400W peak of the other 4 speakers (I know how much everyone here hates peak watts lol I'm just using them for comparison, since they are the same brand monitors and mains). That would be 24A for the 4 main speakers, plus maybe a couple Amperes for the monitors, plus the LED lights and mixer. Maybe 28A to 30A?

So should I be concerned? What can I do to be as safe as possible? Most venues are just at house parties and only have a standard 15A wall outlet available.

What kind of program material?  Typical rock/pop/country music has a pretty wide dynamic range, whereas EDM, rap, etc tends to have a much more limited range (everything is loud, all the time) and will draw more energy than typical live music.

That all said, you'd likely need to be running your system into limit, continuously, before tripping an AC mains breaker.  Your LED lights may pull up to 2 Amperes each (check the label) so you might want to put them on another circuit if you operate this way.

on: Today at 04:03:09 pm 
Started by Cesar Acosta - Last post by Tim Weaver
How many times have you blown the breaker?

I kid. You'll be fine. The cabinets would only pull that much juice if they were well past limiting and actively on fire.

on: Today at 03:59:31 pm 
Started by Steve Crump - Last post by Steve Crump
So, what are the subs that you are currently using, make and model.
What actual amplifier, make and model please?

It could be that your best solution would be to get 4 different subs that are significantly more efficient then you current subs.

Lee

I had been using (4) Yorkville UCS1s for about 5 years

I recently purchased (4) of the JTR Captivator 212 pros and a Crown Macrotech 5000i to run them. I just had my first opportunity to use them at one of our outdoor community events with a Country/Southern Rock band and was pleasantly happy with the performance of the JTRs.
Honestly I didn't miss my Yorkvilles. But, of course we really didn't have (100-150) many people come to this one and I really didn't have to push the JTRs at all. The area was 80' x 140' and for some reason a lot of people decided to set around the perimeter instead of close to the stage. I was mixing from about 70-80' out.

I don't do Hip-Hop, EDM, Metal etc., it's mostly Folk, Indie Country, and Blues/Acoustic Blues, a little Motown. I only agree to help bands doing styles I want to listen to for an afternoon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 13 queries.