ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:24:34 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Scott Holtzman
+1000

I've been in electronics manufacturing for more than 35 years.  Everything from weapons spec military gear to consumer electronics.  Have been an engineering manager in multiple contract manufacturers, been in the tech centers of others, and currently work on the OEM side.  It's expired now but I've held a Mil-Std-2000 soldering certification.  As well as having contributed to the spec itself.

What's on my bench at home is a Metcal 500 series.  I did a bunch of beta testing for them and this was comp'd.  But I would have spent my own money to get one anyway.  As the saying goes:  There's nothing more expensive than a cheap tool.  I've done everything with Metcals from Fender tube amps to adding jumper wires to 4K image sensors.

As for leaded vs. lead free.  It's just about impossible to find products with leaded solder these days.  The primary difference is that leaded solder is more ductile.  It gives a bit under strain, but also suffers from fatigue failure more easily.  SAC305 is stronger but can be fractured by shock more easily.  It's a trade off.  Then you have the metallurgy of circuit board and component finishes, my day job life for the last 35 years.

Rosin fluxes are just about extinct.  All the efforts in chemistry are in "no-clean" fluxes.  Some products are made with organic acid based fluxes and water washed where they have to be conformal coated or high power RF where leakage is an issue.  Rosin fluxes need solvent cleaning and industry can't effectively deal with solvents and safety/environmental regulations.  So about the only place you see rosin is with hobbyists stuck in the last century.
My personal favorite hand solder flux is Alpha NR205.  I also have some samples of flux from Indium and Senju that work well (part of being in industry is rep's constantly asking me to try stuff).  All of them are no clean.

Thank God I still have 1/2 a case of 20 year old flux stripper - Firmly stuck in the last century with my Hexacon Therm-O-Trac and Pace rework station (from the 80's)

on: Today at 02:53:17 pm 
Started by Dennis Wiggins - Last post by Dennis Wiggins
I can see PMs that I receive, but cannot see PMs I have originated, or any text of my replies.

-Dennis

on: Today at 02:52:40 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Stephen Kirby
Amid all the Hakkomania, I'd like to put in a word for the Metcal. I have some MX500s (but there are later models). The tip selection means you can do anything from TSSOP ICs to plumbing repairs.
+1000

I've been in electronics manufacturing for more than 35 years.  Everything from weapons spec military gear to consumer electronics.  Have been an engineering manager in multiple contract manufacturers, been in the tech centers of others, and currently work on the OEM side.  It's expired now but I've held a Mil-Std-2000 soldering certification.  As well as having contributed to the spec itself.

What's on my bench at home is a Metcal 500 series.  I did a bunch of beta testing for them and this was comp'd.  But I would have spent my own money to get one anyway.  As the saying goes:  There's nothing more expensive than a cheap tool.  I've done everything with Metcals from Fender tube amps to adding jumper wires to 4K image sensors.

As for leaded vs. lead free.  It's just about impossible to find products with leaded solder these days.  The primary difference is that leaded solder is more ductile.  It gives a bit under strain, but also suffers from fatigue failure more easily.  SAC305 is stronger but can be fractured by shock more easily.  It's a trade off.  Then you have the metallurgy of circuit board and component finishes, my day job life for the last 35 years.

Rosin fluxes are just about extinct.  All the efforts in chemistry are in "no-clean" fluxes.  Some products are made with organic acid based fluxes and water washed where they have to be conformal coated or high power RF where leakage is an issue.  Rosin fluxes need solvent cleaning and industry can't effectively deal with solvents and safety/environmental regulations.  So about the only place you see rosin is with hobbyists stuck in the last century.
My personal favorite hand solder flux is Alpha NR205.  I also have some samples of flux from Indium and Senju that work well (part of being in industry is rep's constantly asking me to try stuff).  All of them are no clean.

on: Today at 02:29:50 pm 
Started by Tracy Garner - Last post by Jonathan Johnson
Everyone here realizes that at least a dozen top back row patrons of the ancient theatre of Dionysus griped about not being able to hear, right? This is the oldest discussion in show biz.

Back then, they just threw the sound guy to the lions if they couldn't hear.

on: Today at 02:26:27 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Nitin Sidhu
For future reference I think the Carvin is a rebadged JTS product, which is what we have. I have often ordered battery compartments etc.
The battery size is an issue here too. I have had to beat them in..
Spares should not be a problem.

http://www.jts.com.tw/english/products/detail.php?fid=1&subid=7&pid=164

on: Today at 02:25:07 pm 
Started by Justin Joyner - Last post by Debbie Dunkley
How about QLX-D? The Shure Analog (PG/PGX/BLX/SLX/ULX-S/ULX-P) is outdated and overpriced for what they do now. Sennheiser EW walks all over this and then some. I haven't tried the hybrid digilogue QLX-D, ULX-D or AXIENT but everyone around here likes them. Wished I waited for QLX-D myself but I'm pretty content with EW100.

On the flip side to this.....
I have had nothing but problems from 2 different Sennheiser EW mic  systems - the only Senny systems I have used in recent years.... drop -out, high pitched RF squealing when mic muted, high background noise etc... and this coming from a Sennheiser fan owning 4 iem systems, 3 pairs of headphones  and corded mics from Sennheiser. So as usual YMMV...

In addition - hubby plays in 2 bands- one singer uses the SLX and the other uses the EW.....one makes my job easy and the other ... well...

on: Today at 02:08:38 pm 
Started by Justin Joyner - Last post by David Simpson
1 have had 16 SLX wireless systems for many years now. I use a combination of SM58, Beta 87, and Heil heads on my handheld transmitters (depending on the task at hand). They work great for the price point. I have found them to be durable, and good sounding. I have put them in several installs, and have only received positive feedback from the end users.

~Dave

on: Today at 02:07:33 pm 
Started by Justin Joyner - Last post by Thomas Le
How about QLX-D? The Shure Analog (PG/PGX/BLX/SLX/ULX-S/ULX-P) is outdated and overpriced for what they do now. Sennheiser EW walks all over this and then some. I haven't tried the hybrid digilogue QLX-D, ULX-D or AXIENT but everyone around here likes them. Wished I waited for QLX-D myself but I'm pretty content with EW100.

on: Today at 02:07:02 pm 
Started by Josh Billings - Last post by Stephen Kirby
The most straight forward book on the subject I've seen is by Rod Gervais, Home recording studio, build it like the pros.  He busts a number of common myths and gives a straight run down on construction techniques that work at various cost points.  LF is the most difficult to contain as diaphragmatic transmission is easier at low frequencies.

on: Today at 02:01:51 pm 
Started by Tim Rose - Last post by Stephen Kirby
Used to have an old Digitech Vocalist (before it gave up the ghost ;) )  Odd harmony and downward pitch shifting.  Add in some flanging, delay and hall reverb and you can worry the kiddies.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 19 queries.