ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:48:27 pm 
Started by Tracy Garner - Last post by Phil Graham
That picture truly puts the scale of that room in perspective.  That is a huge space.  It makes the Q in Cleveland look like a shed.

Scott, its possible that Ivan, Tom D, and I are the only people in this thread who have physically spent time in this room. It is HUGE, the entirety of the adjacent old stadium (roof included) would fit inside the air conditioned volume of this space.

For scale in the photo above of the Clair Cohesion delays, the very dark area that you see is a 360 degree video wall hung above the upper deck seating. This wall is 53' feet high. You can just see the supporting steel at the top of the wall in the middle of the photo. And then there's a retractable center roof above that. I've attached a better picture of that video wall structure below.

Also, unlike a typical stadium, the concourses are very deep and spacious. There are very substantial volumes of space behind every area of seating. For perspective, I've attached a picture of one of the 4 sided bars that ring the main seating level. There are at least 4 bars this size. I've also attached a view of the "standard" food stall throughout the building. These ring the seating. Bathrooms are tucked behind them.

Large horns, or a full range cardioid-type array would be the only feasible approaches in this room.

on: Today at 12:48:13 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Nathan Riddle
Cheeseburger's into the concrete with lags will be very strong. Then safety into the building steel above. They're not putting more than 100lbs on the truss.

And that was my initial response.

"you're doing what now?" "okay sure, just make sure you safety it somehow to the building steel"

Bla bla bla, and here we are...

If there's steel up there, why not consider using pipe as TJ suggested and using the steel?  Why the eternal side-track fixation with wall-mounting?

-Because that would require a structural engineer to prove it is capable of holding the 100lbs (or say they load it to 500lbs the 500lb load.

-Its also more expensive and time consuming to get proper rigging/flyable hardware.

-The labor involved to calculate the fly-points so the truss can be 'against' the wall will increase costs stiffly.

-You'll still end up anchoring the truss to the wall so it 'stays' in place.

-Wires coming down from the ceiling are 'ugly' & hard to paint black.

I think intuitively it makes more sense just to use the wall as the support. Though I believe this thread points to the contrary of that intuition.

The sch40 steel pipe isn't pretty and doesn't have the right 'look' there's a reason for trussing, it looks 'cool' and is perfectly suited for flying all lighting equipment when used within the engineering's specifications.

Also, I forgot to respond about using motors and chain for other tasks. I've mentioned that multiple times. They are too expensive of an investment; so, it wasn't even broached with this project.

---

At the end of the day, I agree; cheapest, easiest, most safe, would be supporting trussing from the floor.

Second most would be flying.

Third, would be all-thread through the wall supporting the truss. Using compression which concrete likes :)

on: Today at 12:44:41 pm 
Started by Tracy Garner - Last post by Stephen Swaffer
Gentlemen and Ladies, see Craig's definitive answer in bold.  Ultimately it's a "people" issue.

But that's not unique to this industry.  In almost any industry you will find procedures in place that when you really get the honest answer to "Why are we doing it this way this time?" the answer is "Because we did it that way last time" or "because we always do it that way".

It takes effort to step back, look and figure out the best way to do any job.  Of course, you also have to balance that with not re-inventing the wheel everytime!

on: Today at 12:26:16 pm 
Started by Bob Faulkner - Last post by Lee Buckalew
Unfortunately, I don't think this will be of much help to the OP. He is using Macrotech i amplifier, which do not have limiter max.  They use the older original itech limiting.  The limiting that JBL didn't even fully utilize in their Vertec presets (on the itech). 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Macro-Tech I is the third tab of the spreadsheet.

Lee

on: Today at 12:25:51 pm 
Started by Josh Billings - Last post by Dave Garoutte
Here's a DIY 'book'.

SoundProofing Secrets
By Craig Williams at SoundProofingSecrets.com

on: Today at 12:17:15 pm 
Started by Geri O'Neil - Last post by Chris Hindle
If they dump Ampeg someone will pick up the brand in a heart beat. The true definition of what a bass rig should sound like.
Picking up the brand is one thing.
MAINTAINING the brand is a whole other issue.
Chris.

on: Today at 12:15:35 pm 
Started by Helge Dr. Bentsen - Last post by Chris Hindle
More questions than answers.
--Frank
A sobering thought. The more we learn, the less we realize we actually know.
Chris.

on: Today at 12:12:51 pm 
Started by Tim Bulin - Last post by David Allred
The SP2 lists as 55 lbs.  SP5 (T,G,X,XL) all list as approx. 70 lbs.
The SP2 is about 4.4 cu ft.  The SP5 is about 5.5 cu ft.
I couldn't find an SP5 after a '03 copyright.

Am I missing something that you maybe left out?

on: Today at 12:12:37 pm 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Gord Downie, frontman of Tragically Hip has passed away from brain cancer at age 53.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906

Thanks for all the fun, Gord. RIP.

on: Today at 12:05:42 pm 
Started by Chris Campbell - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
I might be the odd guy out, but I've always found it more intuitive to think: Red=Stop/Off/No. I grew up using mostly Midas and Soundcraft stuff that used "Mute" buttons so the first few times I wound up behind a Yamaha console the "On" buttons had me pulling my hair out.
I suspect the RED=ON convention predates inexpensive green LEDs.... when LEDs first came out you could get any color you want as long as it was red.

It probably depends on what you learned on...

JR

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 14 queries.