ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:09:26 am 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by Dan Mortensen
It's clear I am not in those trenches these days....

JR

I do have some mics that use 9V, but want to learn more about these rather than those.

We are 8:50 into the experiment and the batteries are all at 3 bars out of 5. I did notice a couple hours ago that the ferrous set were at 3 bars while the other two were at 4 bars, but the tell will be at the end and not in the middle.

It occurs to me that I'm really not super interested in spending a LOT of time trying to (as scientifically as I can) disprove James Stoffo and RF Venue's experiential statements that battery life is less with the loaf pans.

I AM interested in learning more about these mics, though, and this little experiment provides some data points in that quest. Plus, Henry's comment about battery life under use (rather than idling like these are) is much more interesting than the (unlikely) disproval of experience, so after this phase concludes I'm going to rotate the mics once to get different conditions for each and have a speaker play into them to see how activity reduces battery life. Since I want to know the latter anyway, and have a bunch of batteries, might as well look at the loaf pan thing, too.

Also, it will be interesting if there is a sustained difference between ferrous and aluminum foil in terms of battery life. When I was messing around yesterday with tuning mics in loaf pans as well as mics in aluminum foil/paper pans, both seemed to work equally well in terms of reducing intermods.

And, JR, I like your idea of measuring in real time as being very much easier than this but that also doesn't answer some of the points above, so that's why it's worth spending this time and effort.

Tom, that's a clever way to do it with AA's. Glad you thought of it 'cause I sure didn't...

on: Today at 02:39:59 am 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Scott Holtzman
At one point Apple Macs did "Appletalk" for file and print sharing.  Long dead and burried but still in my 1999 CCIE lab.

I failed my practical in 1998....Employer would not pay for second one.  Never had much impact on my career.  Poor time management and a pile of ATM stuff and a really tricky IEGRP route redistribution doomed me.

on: Today at 12:10:45 am 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Unfortunately (apparently), the pride in workmanship was not rewarded with the susequent contract.  Likely, that change was made becasue it was slightly cheaper to do "decent" work vs "top notch".  I think it is the realities of business that is killing the pride in workmanship.

"Doing a good job is like wetting your pants in a dark suit - you get a nice warm feeling but nobody notices.". Found on a small poster at my old factory job.

on: Yesterday at 10:45:58 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by Stephen Swaffer
Unfortunately (apparently), the pride in workmanship was not rewarded with the susequent contract.  Likely, that change was made becasue it was slightly cheaper to do "decent" work vs "top notch".  I think it is the realities of business that is killing the pride in workmanship.

on: Yesterday at 09:36:39 pm 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
considering that his mics (and virtually all mics these days) use AAs, even if your clips and his mics were in the same vicinity it wouldn’t help much.

The best way to tap the circuit is two pieces of tin foil with an insulator between sandwiched between a battery and a contact.
It's clear I am not in those trenches these days....

JR

on: Yesterday at 09:34:31 pm 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by TJ (Tom) Cornish
If you use a 9V battery clip you can wire a VOM in series with an external battery using current mode on the VOM and measure the current consumption in real time as you move the DUT (device under test) into and around the metal pan.

This should quickly reveal if there is any "there" there, how serious it is, and perhaps easy ways to mitigate it.

I have 9V battery clips laying around but no wireless gear, so that doesn't do you any good.

JR
considering that his mics (and virtually all mics these days) use AAs, even if your clips and his mics were in the same vicinity it wouldn’t help much.

The best way to tap the circuit is two pieces of tin foil with an insulator between sandwiched between a battery and a contact.

on: Yesterday at 09:06:00 pm 
Started by Luke Geis - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
I for one welcome our new insect overlords.
It will be robots not insects...

JR

on: Yesterday at 08:47:02 pm 
Started by Jonathan Goodall - Last post by Rick Alan
My SQ5 was shipped yesterday from AM&S.  FedEx says it should be here Tuesday.

Our rep now says that it will be mid January before an SQ appears.   :(

And that's how the Grinch stole Christmas !

on: Yesterday at 08:29:25 pm 
Started by Erik Flesher - Last post by Stephen Kirby
If it's only for monitors, take a look at the Alto SXM12s.  Small footprint coax 12 that is basically a vocal monitor only, but at $300 has the intelligibility on stage of many boxes twice the price.  If you need to run keyboards or drums through them, then you're back to a bigger box but I have four of the little Alto wedges and several others here have some as well.  They punch well above their weight and because they look like a specialized wedge, and have proper wood cabinets with Line-X on them, they don't get the eye rolls that a typical $300-500 off brand powered box sitting on the floor does.  People evaluate with their ears and come back saying "I could hear myself".

on: Yesterday at 08:25:07 pm 
Started by Bob Leonard - Last post by Tim McCulloch
One of the Nutcracker crews?  This weekend is the last of three separate (local!) Nutcracker productions. I'm lucky to get the music out of my head by New Years....

Yeah.  We have 3 or 4 productions, 2 of which have IATSE crew.  If my cancellations had come a couple days earlier I would have taken a call.  I'd rather work than not.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 14 queries.