ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 05:03:54 am 
Started by John L Nobile - Last post by Gordon Brinton
I have yet to hear a mini line array that sounds natural and full-bodied like a conventional box speaker. To me, they just seem to sound slightly mechanical, cold, shrilly, and unbalanced across the frequency spectrum. Perhaps it's their lack of sizable mid and low-mid drivers or their overabundance of upper-mid. Maybe this one is different, but I am not holding my breath.

on: Today at 02:07:02 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by Justice C. Bigler
Nothing wrong with the Countryman E6 earset mics. But some people don't like the single ear only rigging for them. The Countryman's are a couple hundred less expensive than the DPAs, which are about $600.

Mics that small are kind of fragile. I would buy two of whatever you get.

on: Today at 02:06:52 am 
Started by Dan Mortensen - Last post by Dan Mortensen

we have discussed all this ad absurdium... but every time we go around in circles because people conflate DIs, with instrument preamps, and sundry other boxes all considered generic "DIs"

As I said before, I searched before posting for this kind of DI discussion and couldn't find it in these forums, which may well be due to my poor search skills. I asked you ITT for a link to the previous discussions but got nothing. Which is not to say it isn't there, but I couldn't find it on my own.

With all due respect, it may be ad absurdum for you, but I for one am appreciating people's different viewpoints and explanations of how these things work with as much detail as they've cared to share, which has been considerable and enlightening.

Hopefully this thread can be found the next time somebody has a question about what exactly a DI box does and how and why it does it, since I couldn't find anything other than "what's the best DI?" and the like.

on: Today at 01:51:05 am 
Started by dave milton - Last post by Michael Thompson
I've searched a bit, but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, so I'll post a direct question.
Here's the deal:

I want to purchase a DMX software controller.  My needs are fairly simple, but sort of specific.  I don't need anything fancy or complex, and I only run lights occasionally.  Basically there are three venues that I run lights at a few times a year....each has their own board and each always has problems or issues when I come in to do my thing (after being away  from this venue for many months at sometimes).   Two of these venues have only fixed PAR/Ellpisoidal/Fresnel instruments (maybe also a couple scoops or Cycs), and one has basic fixed LED instruments with a few channels each but nothing moving or "intelligent".  I'm basically only setting maybe 6 or 7 scenes max and not bothering with any chases or auto-fades or anything like that.  Pretty much just a few different stage washes and maybe a couple specials/spots.  Fairly old-school stuff.  It's okay if the software is capable of much more complex control, but it's just not necessary.

But I'm tired of always coming in to find the board in each venue a mess or not working properly.  So I want a software controller on my laptop that I can just bring to the venue, plug it in to their system, bypass their controller, and run the shows that way.

Now here's the specific thing -
   My audio rig (which is what I do more often) is an X32 board that I sometimes plug my laptop into (for another screen and some control) but that I also control from my IPad.  The IPad I use so that I can walk the room, soundcheck monitors from the stage, and such.  Essentially, I set up an router as a network, the X32 and the laptop connect to it via ethernet cable, and the Ipad connects via WiFi.   And it occurs to me that this is what I want to do with the light control as well....have the ability to move away from the board (and the light loft) if/when necessary.

Last "feature" I want is "not terribly expensive" (ok, what I really want is for it to be cheap!).  First of all, at least some of the work I do is on a volunteer basis or for pretty low pay.  It is NOT something I do full-time and or the main source of income.  Second, my budget is kinda tight for this, and it's not strictly something I "need", more something I "want" so I can't justify spending big bucks.

So, this is what I'm looking for:
--- DMX software controller
--- Only needs to be fairly simple, capable of running mostly fixed instruments, a few basic scenes (mostly stage washes), manual fades, no chases/shows/etc. 
--- I intend to bring my laptop to the venue plug it into their system (I'm assuming through a dongle of some sort) and be up and running.
--- I also want to be able to control via an IPad.
--- Reasonably inexpensive

I'm assuming such a thing exists.  And instead of sifting through the sales pitch of someone trying to upsell me something I don't really need/want, I figured I'd go to y'all for suggestions.

So, what should I look into buying?

thanks, d.

Luminair and an artnet node would do it from your ipad. 

I've been using these and have not had any issue. https://www.dmxprosales.com/DMXking-eDMX1-PRO-Ethernet-DMX-Controller-5-pin-p/dmxking-edmx1-pro-5.htm

There are plenty of other options, but this setup goes out all the time for me and has been very reliable.

on: Today at 01:33:23 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by Patrick Tracy
The correct answer - DPA d:fine.  E6's were popular in their time, but time marches on. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks. DPA was the other name I had in mind. I'll check it out. Any suggestions regarding omnidirectional or unidirectional or other variations?

on: Today at 01:29:45 am 
Started by dave milton - Last post by Scott Holtzman
I've searched a bit, but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, so I'll post a direct question.
Here's the deal:

I want to purchase a DMX software controller.  My needs are fairly simple, but sort of specific.  I don't need anything fancy or complex, and I only run lights occasionally.  Basically there are three venues that I run lights at a few times a year....each has their own board and each always has problems or issues when I come in to do my thing (after being away  from this venue for many months at sometimes).   Two of these venues have only fixed PAR/Ellpisoidal/Fresnel instruments (maybe also a couple scoops or Cycs), and one has basic fixed LED instruments with a few channels each but nothing moving or "intelligent".  I'm basically only setting maybe 6 or 7 scenes max and not bothering with any chases or auto-fades or anything like that.  Pretty much just a few different stage washes and maybe a couple specials/spots.  Fairly old-school stuff.  It's okay if the software is capable of much more complex control, but it's just not necessary.

But I'm tired of always coming in to find the board in each venue a mess or not working properly.  So I want a software controller on my laptop that I can just bring to the venue, plug it in to their system, bypass their controller, and run the shows that way.

Now here's the specific thing -
   My audio rig (which is what I do more often) is an X32 board that I sometimes plug my laptop into (for another screen and some control) but that I also control from my IPad.  The IPad I use so that I can walk the room, soundcheck monitors from the stage, and such.  Essentially, I set up an router as a network, the X32 and the laptop connect to it via ethernet cable, and the Ipad connects via WiFi.   And it occurs to me that this is what I want to do with the light control as well....have the ability to move away from the board (and the light loft) if/when necessary.

Last "feature" I want is "not terribly expensive" (ok, what I really want is for it to be cheap!).  First of all, at least some of the work I do is on a volunteer basis or for pretty low pay.  It is NOT something I do full-time and or the main source of income.  Second, my budget is kinda tight for this, and it's not strictly something I "need", more something I "want" so I can't justify spending big bucks.

So, this is what I'm looking for:
--- DMX software controller
--- Only needs to be fairly simple, capable of running mostly fixed instruments, a few basic scenes (mostly stage washes), manual fades, no chases/shows/etc. 
--- I intend to bring my laptop to the venue plug it into their system (I'm assuming through a dongle of some sort) and be up and running.
--- I also want to be able to control via an IPad.
--- Reasonably inexpensive

I'm assuming such a thing exists.  And instead of sifting through the sales pitch of someone trying to upsell me something I don't really need/want, I figured I'd go to y'all for suggestions.

So, what should I look into buying?

thanks, d.

Chauvet ShowXpress

on: Today at 12:21:54 am 
Started by Patrick Tracy - Last post by Caleb Dueck
The correct answer - DPA d:fine.  E6's were popular in their time, but time marches on. 

on: Today at 12:15:50 am 
Started by Taylor Hall - Last post by Caleb Dueck
Multiple tabletop gooseneck mics and an automixer.  If it's an install - any good DSP has this function.  If its  portable - even the Qu series has it, among many other mixers.  Tight pattern mics, set to "reach out" to the presenter.

Also speakers with tighter pattern control if possible, farther downstage, for better GBF.

on: Today at 12:15:05 am 
Started by Ara Ayrassian - Last post by Ara Ayrassian
I have a single SH96 in excellent condition $3000 I can upgrade it to a HO for another $600 .

on: Today at 12:03:08 am 
Started by Taylor Hall - Last post by TomBoisseau
Your best results really would be using lavs and, I suspect, in time you may find it worth while to move that direction.  But, seeing that that is not currently an option, a podium type mic for each member of the panel can provide good results provided the panelists don't lean back from them (which some probably will). 

I prefer using gooseneck podium mics instead of just handhelds on table stands because the gooseneck can extend out over any paperwork or notebooks they have and thereby get the mic closer to the mouth of the presenter.  The drawback to podium mics of course is that the are much more prone to "plosives", so use a really good windscreen. 

Tom

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.