ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 05:00:28 pm 
Started by Ray Soly - Last post by Ray Soly

So if the SD7 is part of the show, the easiest way would be the first part of my post:

- SD7 handles preamp control
- SD7 does a "copy audio" from all the channels you need to one of its MADI output ports on the surface - this feeds your DLive MADI input
- DLive MADI output back into a MADI input on the SD7.  It's treated as a "generic 64ch MADI input" (regardless of how many channels you're actually sending) and then the SD7 can pick off inputs from that stream and send to where it's needed. 

As mentioned, for PA drive it's probably easiest to feed to direct ins on a Matrix and drive the PA from the Matrix Outs.  It will probably require a little repatching/rerouting in the SD7, but nothing that takes more than a minute or two. 

The above scenario is the shortest cable run (presumably surfaces are next to each other) and other than the minor headache of relinquishing preamp control to the SD7, it's a pretty easy setup.

Although MADI is a 64x64 stream, DiGiCo treats it as 56x56 when talking to its racks, and uses the last 8ch block of data for headamp control.  It can still send and receive standard 64ch MADI, however, to normal MADI devices. 

The reason why I mentioned that you *might* be able to do control from the DLive is that they're now in the same "family".  I don't know if there's a setting in the DLive that would allow it to "speak DiGiCo" on the MADI stream - I have next to no time on that desk, so I'm not familiar with it.  But if you'd rather do a cable run to the SD7 surface than the SD Racks, this is a moot point - you have to be connected directly to the racks (not through the surface) to handle preamp control.

Good options,

As far as "speaking "digico"hummm, it doesn't even speak "fluent" A&H at this point  ;)..... but it costs wayyyyy less than an SD7...... I do like mixing on the Dlive though....

Thanks

Ray

on: Yesterday at 04:22:01 pm 
Started by Ray Soly - Last post by Brian Bolly
In that city the sd7 would be part of the show if i use this scenario.....

As far as cable runs, I could do either, surface or mixrack, if I use a mixrack then it might as well be the Dlive's. Use these i/0 s for inputs and monitor sends and at FOH send to PA/subs from the Dlive surface to the sd7 (surface to surface) Madi or analog...

I said no copper before because more and more in refurbished/ upgraded venues, they've done away with the copper mults ....and only use cat5-6/ coax/optical /fibre for interconnects...and although we,re pretty much self contain on tour we do use house PAs....few have many analog i/os available at foh.....or an extra rack.....

this is how i remembered it also , in that instance , i guess madi out from the Dlive could go directly to a "generic "madi in on the sd7 and re assigned to the PA  as they would normally do....it's just treated as a source and not sd rack control?

Then the Dlive would be "master"?

So if the SD7 is part of the show, the easiest way would be the first part of my post:

- SD7 handles preamp control
- SD7 does a "copy audio" from all the channels you need to one of its MADI output ports on the surface - this feeds your DLive MADI input
- DLive MADI output back into a MADI input on the SD7.  It's treated as a "generic 64ch MADI input" (regardless of how many channels you're actually sending) and then the SD7 can pick off inputs from that stream and send to where it's needed. 

As mentioned, for PA drive it's probably easiest to feed to direct ins on a Matrix and drive the PA from the Matrix Outs.  It will probably require a little repatching/rerouting in the SD7, but nothing that takes more than a minute or two. 

The above scenario is the shortest cable run (presumably surfaces are next to each other) and other than the minor headache of relinquishing preamp control to the SD7, it's a pretty easy setup.

Although MADI is a 64x64 stream, DiGiCo treats it as 56x56 when talking to its racks, and uses the last 8ch block of data for headamp control.  It can still send and receive standard 64ch MADI, however, to normal MADI devices. 

The reason why I mentioned that you *might* be able to do control from the DLive is that they're now in the same "family".  I don't know if there's a setting in the DLive that would allow it to "speak DiGiCo" on the MADI stream - I have next to no time on that desk, so I'm not familiar with it.  But if you'd rather do a cable run to the SD7 surface than the SD Racks, this is a moot point - you have to be connected directly to the racks (not through the surface) to handle preamp control.

on: Yesterday at 03:29:00 pm 
Started by Havard Hogstad - Last post by Havard Hogstad
Interesting debate  :)

As a lot of you seem to have experience with the SRX835P. What alternatives did you consider before buying the 835? JBL or other makes.

on: Yesterday at 03:26:31 pm 
Started by dave milton - Last post by Dan Mortensen
Yes. This is what I believe. The mobile stage they bring in is 20x40 and also carpeted. The room itself is 75x125 and full wall to wall carpet.

Two points:

1) I believe it was you who brought up using an analog snake to a stage box located at the console. If that was indeed you, and if that practice is to avoid ESD problems that would otherwise be caused by using a problem CAT snake to reach the stage box onstage, I don't get why ESD is not still a problem, because ANY length of wrong CAT in the system will still result in ESD problems IF you are having ESD problems at all.

It has been amply demonstrated that the ESD contact can occur anywhere in the wrong system, including mics and other devices onstage connected via pin 1 to the PA. Moving the stage box to FOH won't change that.

Connecting the analog snake directly to the console and not using AES50 will stop that kind of problem.

If that's not why you were doing that, now readers know that it's not a solution for ESD problems.

2) The snake that you describe as being properly shielded and grounded is behaving exactly as if it is not. You are just a guy on the Internet to me, so I would suggest you double/triple check that all parts of your cable are correctly set up.

Since I am just a guy on the Internet to you, you will do as you please.

A third, semi-related point: There are over a million X32 family consoles out in the world, or at least I heard that a year or two ago. No doubt they are being used in almost every situation imaginable. The fact that there are a small number of reports of intractable problems seems inevitable (maybe your console specifically has a problem?), and the fact that the number is small is proof that the platform is decently robust. Perfectly, no, but decently.

on: Yesterday at 03:16:28 pm 
Started by Ray Soly - Last post by Ray Soly
If the surfaces are sitting next to each other, you could do a Copy Audio on the DiGiCo and send to the local MADI I/O for transport over to the DLive.  You would need the SD7 for preamp control, and in reverse, you could send signals back into the SD7 surface via its local MADI for PA/monitor drive.

If you take splits directly off the SD Racks via the Aux MADI ports, the SD7 would have to not need any of the output cards on an entire rack for for you to be able to send to the output cards from the DLive.  On an Optocore ring, you can split output cards on a per card basis, but on MADI it's on a per rack basis.  I don't recall if you can do preamp control for the SD Rack from a DLive though.

If the SD7 is part of the show, you could do via MADI from the DLive to SD7 surface for the outputs from the DLive - direct inputs into a matrix on the SD7 that then drive the PA/monitors.

In short, it's largely possible.  It depends on how your cable runs will be (whether to/from a surface or an SD Rack) and whether or not the SD7 is part of the show.  The question remains about preamp control - I've never tried it from an alternate desk.

Brian,

In that city the sd7 would be part of the show if i use this scenario.....

As far as cable runs, I could do either, surface or mixrack, if I use a mixrack then it might as well be the Dlive's. Use these i/0 s for inputs and monitor sends and at FOH send to PA/subs from the Dlive surface to the sd7 (surface to surface) Madi or analog...

I said no copper before because more and more in refurbished/ upgraded venues, they've done away with the copper mults ....and only use cat5-6/ coax/optical /fibre for interconnects...and although we,re pretty much self contain on tour we do use house PAs....few have many analog i/os available at foh.....or an extra rack.....

Nick,

this is how i remembered it also , in that instance , i guess madi out from the Dlive could go directly to a "generic "madi in on the sd7 and re assigned to the PA  as they would normally do....it's just treated as a source and not sd rack control?

Then the Dlive would be "master"?

thanks to you both

Ray

on: Yesterday at 03:16:21 pm 
Started by Michael Gorecki - Last post by Dave Garoutte
You might look at the R3 Spot which has a 13-37 degree zoom.
This makes for a more versatile fixture, though bigger and more expensive.
PM me for pricing.

on: Yesterday at 02:48:38 pm 
Started by Ray Soly - Last post by Nick Pires
If the surfaces are sitting next to each other, you could do a Copy Audio on the DiGiCo and send to the local MADI I/O for transport over to the DLive.  You would need the SD7 for preamp control, and in reverse, you could send signals back into the SD7 surface via its local MADI for PA/monitor drive.

If you take splits directly off the SD Racks via the Aux MADI ports, the SD7 would have to not need any of the output cards on an entire rack for for you to be able to send to the output cards from the DLive.  On an Optocore ring, you can split output cards on a per card basis, but on MADI it's on a per rack basis.  I don't recall if you can do preamp control for the SD Rack from a DLive though.

If the SD7 is part of the show, you could do via MADI from the DLive to SD7 surface for the outputs from the DLive - direct inputs into a matrix on the SD7 that then drive the PA/monitors.

In short, it's largely possible.  It depends on how your cable runs will be (whether to/from a surface or an SD Rack) and whether or not the SD7 is part of the show.  The question remains about preamp control - I've never tried it from an alternate desk.
Not 100% sure on the current state of pre-amp control. But last time I looked into it, control for Digico pre-amps through BNC MADI can only be accomplished with a Digico desk (not sure about fiber, but I suspect it is the same). I believe the protocol uses channels of the MADI stream for communication with pre-amps. If a non-Digico device is connected to that MADI stream those channels won't be available for audio. This is from my hazy memory of experimenting several years ago.

on: Yesterday at 02:18:33 pm 
Started by Ray Soly - Last post by Brian Bolly
Anyone know proper way to set this up?...without copper...sd7 is house console with various stage racks...Dlive is touring console...could we get all the mics patched thu the digico stage racks. and then sent thru coax madi to the dlive and the dlive outs in reverse to the sd7 madi and in turn to the PA/monitors etc.... how about clocking? which runs which?

on: Yesterday at 02:06:34 pm 
Started by Michael Gorecki - Last post by Steven Eudaly
If you need a beam fixture. I think the R2X would fit the bill. They come through a lot on tours in a local 1000 cap theatre that has a 37w x 29d stage with a 20' trim and they hold up against bigger, "badder" fixtures well without being "too much" for the room.

We own a bunch of R2 washes and have had zero issues. Obviously a very different fixture, but similar build quality.

I'm curious if a moving wash such as the R2 would be more useful for a theatrical application.

on: Yesterday at 02:03:56 pm 
Started by Kevin_Tisdall - Last post by Kevin_Tisdall
I use one of these which can be set to 'push to talk'  or  'push to mute' (small switch on side of unit) depending on application:

Rolls MM11

(edited to clarify position of switch)

Thanks all for the comments.  The band let me know they just usually leave them open.  Aiming them toward audience may help so that's a good tip. 

Thanks Deb for the switch.  That may work for them in the future.

This is a small bar setup with live drums and bass but keys and guitar are direct.  It will be interesting.

--Kevin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 14 queries.