ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:37:52 pm 
Started by Eddie Ybarra - Last post by Mike Caldwell
First of all aux subs should be ran with a post fade aux so any changes you make on the channel as you mix that level change will also track to the subs.

Are you using the 1/4 inch jacks or the Speakon jacks on the sub
to make your connections. With the Speakon jack those speakers can be connected as a 4 ohm cabinet or a dual 8 ohm cabinet.

Take a known good speaker, plug it into the speaker then (you may need to adapt the cable to do this depending on the type of connectors you use) take a 9 volt battery while holding on one of the speaker wires to one terminal on the battery touch the other speaker cable wire to the other battery terminal, you should hear a click and see the speakers move a little each time you touch the wire to the battery.

If you don't it's looking like what you all ready are thinking, the speakers are blown.

on: Today at 11:24:14 pm 
Started by Eddie Ybarra - Last post by Scott Holtzman
So I'm testing out the PA,a ISP Mongoose "line array" to be exact and a pair of ISP XMAX 218 subs all powered btw. Plug it all in with a A&H GL2400 subs on a aux send everything works sounds good. Then we move to some Peavey SP218 subs 4 of them, with QSC RMX5050 amps now let explain the deal with this is we have little to no budget and this is what we have to work with so I'm thinking I'll use another aux send an send deferent low end stuff to each set subs heres where it gets weird. So with the ISP subs plug into aux1 I have lots of head room, then the SP subs plugged into aux2 and peavey crossover to one QSC RMX 5050 in parallel mode and basically zero signal, i have to turn the aux send knob all the way up till it stops to get any volume out of it. So i check my cables balanced cables all the way around, all pins wired correctly including speaker cable and speakers in the cabinet. Then I check the board, auxs are pre fader aux master at 0,cross over is at 0, gain on the power amp is at 26. So switch to another set of cables all the way around same thing, try another RMX amp same thing, next up is a bridge RMX 2450 same thing. Then I unplug the crossover and take it out of the chain and wouldn't you now it same thing. So there is a a SP4 laying around i plug it in and boom lots of healthy signal and headroom I'm baffled and speechless, just for fun i plug the crossover back in and it  works perfectly then plug the sub back in not changing any cables and next to zero signal. So then I check the speakers in the sub and they're good and move fine and not torn in any way and have never been run hard or abused.So my question is has something like ever happen to you guys and what could I be overlooking? I just want to get this up and running for our local church outreach concert.     

Was the polarity inverted on that sub and you were getting cancellation acoustically?  The major pitfall of getting stuff to play together.

on: Today at 11:21:10 pm 
Started by Neil Cox - Last post by Dan Mortensen
Dredging up this old thread to reply as promised about the HRTF on headphone outputs from personal playback devices.

Both people who I am certain told me about this don't remember telling me about this at all and deny that they believe this to be true in all cases.

One of them said there can be an issue with devices like this putting out multiple volts at 300-500kHz on the headphone connectors, but the device he named where he found it is not one that we'd likely find at a live sound event IMO. So there you go.

My apologies for spreading what is apparently a falsehood. As I said earlier, I am quite certain that I heard it and asked multiple follow up questions of both of them, as not using the iPod headphone output through speakers was and did immediately change my SOP a lot.

I'm sorry for any problems that were caused. This is a very strange episode.

:-[

on: Today at 11:18:30 pm 
Started by Carrie Snide - Last post by Mike Caldwell
Normally I would agree gain is gain right.. adding some at one stage just requires less at another stage. But with the gain all the way up on these things the signal is really hot, a pad would be necessary on most mixers to produce any functional range of use on the channel strip that isn't over driving everything, so there is really no need for it to be set that high.
 Strangely in this series the body pack has an output trim control but the handheld does not.. it's output level is fixed so it can't overload the receiver. Makes it easier to use I guess.

At a church I was doing some service call work had a couple Freeport body packs and those did need the gain adjusted on the pack. The handheld was fine so I never opened it up to look for a gain control. I did not notice anything crazy as for the output level into their small Soundcraft board when I turned the receivers up. I set the levels full up to prevent little fingers from turning them up since they had the receivers setting out in the wide open on shelf in their sound booth.

on: Today at 11:12:07 pm 
Started by Eddie Ybarra - Last post by Eddie Ybarra
So I'm testing out the PA,a ISP Mongoose "line array" to be exact and a pair of ISP XMAX 218 subs all powered btw. Plug it all in with a A&H GL2400 subs on a aux send everything works sounds good. Then we move to some Peavey SP218 subs 4 of them, with QSC RMX5050 amps now let explain the deal with this is we have little to no budget and this is what we have to work with so I'm thinking I'll use another aux send an send deferent low end stuff to each set subs heres where it gets weird. So with the ISP subs plug into aux1 I have lots of head room, then the SP subs plugged into aux2 and peavey crossover to one QSC RMX 5050 in parallel mode and basically zero signal, i have to turn the aux send knob all the way up till it stops to get any volume out of it. So i check my cables balanced cables all the way around, all pins wired correctly including speaker cable and speakers in the cabinet. Then I check the board, auxs are pre fader aux master at 0,cross over is at 0, gain on the power amp is at 26. So switch to another set of cables all the way around same thing, try another RMX amp same thing, next up is a bridge RMX 2450 same thing. Then I unplug the crossover and take it out of the chain and wouldn't you now it same thing. So there is a a SP4 laying around i plug it in and boom lots of healthy signal and headroom I'm baffled and speechless, just for fun i plug the crossover back in and it  works perfectly then plug the sub back in not changing any cables and next to zero signal. So then I check the speakers in the sub and they're good and move fine and not torn in any way and have never been run hard or abused.So my question is has something like ever happen to you guys and what could I be overlooking? I just want to get this up and running for our local church outreach concert.     

on: Today at 11:01:34 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Nathan Riddle
It's not that I was *upset* per se, just thought it was silly.
-Ray

I painted you in a disadvantageous way, my apologies.

I too agree with you about the things which annoy you. In this case, because the content was good I found the silly email thingy agreeable for the moment.

What annoys me most is poor programming/testing of software. Not a minute goes by that I don't find a website, program, computer, os, phone, etc. doing something I find disagreeable.

on: Today at 10:52:41 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Ray Aberle
Then it shouldn't matter, should it? :P

I listen to you.  8)

The thread in question did have Ray being upset by the email signup thingy, but he (Mr. Lively) didn't spam me.. much.

I have it (.pdf) in case anyone wants to forgo the formalities.
It's not that I was *upset* per se, just thought it was silly. But I also dislike interstitial popups, and I think whoever developed such a technology that's designed ONLY to piss people off needs to be flogged.

Or checking to see what browser you have, and if it's not the latest-and-greatest, not allowing people to view your site. The internet was developed to allow *anyone* to do things, and have a common language.......

But, again, that's just me. :)

-Ray

on: Today at 10:52:21 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Scott Holtzman

I listen to you.  8)

The thread in question did have Ray being upset by the email signup thingy, but he (Mr. Lively) didn't spam me.. much.

Ahh...So memory isn't as bad as I thought....

on: Today at 10:39:24 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Nathan Riddle
I can't find it so ignore me, most do anyway.

I listen to you.  8)

on: Today at 10:31:41 pm 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Scott Holtzman
Hmm, thats interesting.

I posted because I remember his first book was posted here by Yoel Farkas.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,161605.msg1486021.html#msg1486021

I thought about that after I posted, that was more of an interrogatory.  I will strike it as I tried to find the thread.  It was something to do with mailing list and the lead in to a free article vs. signing up for a mail list.

I can't find it so ignore me, most do anyway.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 13 queries.