ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 01:12:04 am 
Started by Taylor Phillips - Last post by Stephen Kirby
So, which are the speakers you have to work with?  I've seen a number of times where there was some professional install that may have had some small problem like needing one driver replaced, and someone comes along and hangs a couple of JRXs up telling everyone how they improved things by getting "JBLs".

on: Today at 01:08:00 am 
Started by Helge A Bentsen - Last post by Stephen Kirby
I've known people who used the sample size in a 2290 to "fly in" things.  When it's in a rack, the controller is handy.

on: Today at 12:48:48 am 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by Michael Thompson
Danley Sound Labs and JTR Pro Audio are both manufacturers who are held in high regard at this forum for the quality of sound of their speakers. Both of these manufacturers design and engineer speakers with passive crossovers.
It seems like the new craze is to process speakers with FIR filters.
What is the difference in performance between a speaker with a traditional passive crossover such as a Danley and a speaker with FIR filters incorporated into their design such as JBL and Fulcrum?
Are there differences in the implementation of the FIR filters between manufacturers (some better "engineered" than others)?
Does Danley use FIR filters in their own line of power amps to improve the performance of their speakers?

FIR is just another tool in the bag of speaker designers.  Choosing the right tool (passive, active, FIR) to accompany a particular design is the answer in my opinion.

on: Yesterday at 10:30:29 pm 
Started by Taylor Phillips - Last post by Taylor Phillips
If this is a straight play, why is there amplification?  I thought that was for musicals.
Well, they do want to work up to doing musicals in the future. They also want the drama students familiar with the technical aspect of theater. 

Picture of the space attached.   It is from a few years ago, and they supposedly did some renovations since then, but I think it can give you idea of the space and the stage.  Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days to get a look at how the space is currently and make sure the sound system works like it should. 

on: Yesterday at 10:02:09 pm 
Started by Aaron Maurer - Last post by Aaron Maurer
Figured out my dilemma. I have setup many mute groups over the life of owning the console. The issue is when you have those certain channels already assigned to another mute group. Donít double up channels in two mute groups is the lesson here. Always look at the simple things first.

on: Yesterday at 09:27:43 pm 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Is there a default time alignment (ms) for the reverse sub from Meyer?

Not that I've seen but it's easy to model in MAPP.

on: Yesterday at 08:43:19 pm 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by David Sturzenbecher

Part of the problem with trying to use FIR filters on cabinets that have physical offsets, is that the settings only work on axis (or where they were derived from)

With FIRs filters you are able to realistically achieve very high crossover slopes.  In speakers with drivers physically offset you are able to greatly minimize frequencies of overlap. For this type of speaker, the benefits of FIR can be had in more then just one area.

on: Yesterday at 08:26:22 pm 
Started by Helge A Bentsen - Last post by Jordan Wolf
Doesn't look useful to the live crowd.  It looks like it's just a dedicated controller for the plugin.  No audio I/O.
Looks useful to me - I sure miss having the front panel of an FX processor to tweak in-the-moment, compared to the one in the console. Even a touchscreen takes some precision when using; physical buttons, knobs, etc. are easier for me when it comes to muscle memory.

on: Yesterday at 08:06:54 pm 
Started by Ivan Beaver - Last post by Ivan Beaver
Back in the '50s the military played around with weaponizing ELF.  Some very large horns were put up on towers and aimed at buildings in a field.  I think this was in Menlo Park or somewhere in the area, back when it was much more rural and there was open land to play with such things.  I've always wondered if the Matterhorn was another swing at a similar concept.  Not that anyone would be able to say.
The military would never tell us what the intended application was.

My guess (based on the need for a 16-18Hz warble tone and to be totally self contained (speaker-amps-generator) in a shipping container, was that it would be used to mask convoy movements.

But I could be totally wrong.

on: Yesterday at 07:58:20 pm 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by Ivan Beaver
Everything comes with a price.

One of the "prices" with FIR is latency (signal delay)

Does it matter?  How long depends on how low the filters are used.

Part of the problem with trying to use FIR filters on cabinets that have physical offsets, is that the settings only work on axis (or where they were derived from)

As you move off axis to where the distance from the drivers is different than on axis, things start to change, different settings are required for different positions.

No, Danley does not currently use FIR filters in any of the processing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 14 queries.