ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
 on: July 21, 2018, 04:24:39 pm 
Started by Gordon Brinton - Last post by Gordon Brinton
...Placing a tripod speaker stand anywhere, especially in a bar, is always risky due to trip hazards.  I have seen a few speaker stands with flat bases that look like they might hold a column against a wall somewhat more safely.  Adam Hall showed one at INFOCOMM, but I didn't get the model number.

Yep, I had already considered a flat stand and didn't see the need to ask about that here. Also considering the possibility of a column array with small sub. Thanks.

on: July 21, 2018, 04:24:12 pm 
Started by Christian Ekren - Last post by Christian Ekren
Hi all,

Figured this might be the best place to get some advice on setting up a basic mixed-use Dante network. I am looking at a basic redundant setup that also contains remote mic receiver monitoring and console control. I am looking at using the following network products:

2x Cisco SG200-26
2x Cisco RV325-K9 NA

For connecting:

12x Sennheiser EM500-G3 Receivers
1x Soundcraft Vi1 CompactStageBox w/ Dante IO Card
1x Soundcraft Vi1 HiQNET
1x Soundcraft Si Performer 3 HiQNET
2x Dante Virtual Soundcard via MacBook Pro(s)

Attached is a diagram of what I've got so far.. will the Cisco components listed work as intended? I have not setup redundant network topologies in the past, so I am also wondering if there is a better way to connect them together. Ideally I would love to use two external network adapters from a single MacBook Pro, but I do not believe DVS supports multiple NIC's.

on: July 21, 2018, 04:14:14 pm 
Started by Gordon Brinton - Last post by Don T. Williams
Limiting the system to a column format will really narrow your choices, but I can understand your reasoning.  There are some "line source" active systems with fairly small subs that might be considered.  The sub elevates the column and act a bass and stand, but has the downside that patrons might be able to futz with it.  An example (not a recommendation for or against) is the TurboSound IQ500, and a pair are in that price range.  Fishman has a guitar amp in a column arrangement and the Alto Spectrum PA (and others) have a similar column arrangement.

Placing a tripod speaker stand anywhere, especially in a bar, is always risky due to trip hazards.  I have seen a few speaker stands with flat bases that look like they might hold a column against a wall somewhat more safely.  Adam Hall showed one at INFOCOMM, but I didn't get the model number. 

on: July 21, 2018, 04:00:32 pm 
Started by Gordon Brinton - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I frequently run sound in bars and social clubs that are oddly shaped. There always seems to be some part of each room that is difficult to cover with mids and highs, thus vocals and overtones aren't clear for people who sit in those over-flow areas, far corners, and cubby holes.

I wish that I could find a tiny column array without a sub that is powered to use as delay fills. I'm talking something super narrow and nearly stealth like, maybe 6 or 8 x 2Ē drivers. I don't need a sub because my low-end seems to always fill the rooms to the back row. I don't like the idea of a standard size 12"/horn on a stand because barroom space is usually at a premium. If I could tuck something smaller (and short throw) into dark corners or between tables where people aren't likely to trip over them, it would be ideal.

As far as budget, I can't really justify spending big bucks on solving a minor problem for bar gigs, so let's stay under $1000 (US) per box.

Any ideas?

It's a bar, who cares? Most of the patrons who care about the live music do not sit in dark cornersor hidey-holes.  If the person signing the cheque isn't complaining you're just making work for which you are not being paid.

on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:38 pm 
Started by Dustin Campbell - Last post by Tim McCulloch
For sure - I will definitely study the manual more- I just donít like testing stuff on a gig - it should be fine though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak directly to the QU but in general you send an FX return to monitors just like any other input you'd send to monitors.

As Steve C points out, you do not want the FX return channel to be sending to its own mix, i.e. if the send to FX  is on mix 10, you do not want the FX return channel to the mix 10 send active or it will feed back as he experienced.

You should be able to solo up the monitor mix output and hear the FX, just use your headphones and try it at home.

on: July 21, 2018, 03:41:43 pm 
Started by Gordon Brinton - Last post by Art Welter

I wish that I could find a tiny column array without a sub that is powered to use as delay fills. I'm talking something super narrow and nearly stealth like, maybe 6 or 8 x 2Ē drivers.

As far as budget, I can't really justify spending big bucks on solving a minor problem for bar gigs, so let's stay under $1000 (US) per box.

Any ideas?
Galaxy Audio has powered and passive (16 ohm) 4x 4.5" driver line arrays, perhaps a bit wider at 7" than you'd like, but decent output, polar response and price.

Using 2" drivers would require approximately 8 times the drivers (32) for a similar output level- the cabinet could be thinner, but taller.

Art

on: July 21, 2018, 03:18:48 pm 
Started by Trevor Jalla - Last post by Trevor Jalla
@Jeremy Young - great info, thank you. I concede that the DL32R would control preamps, not the worst thing in the world. If individual musicans were to DIY their own IEM mixes (and yes, micing most things onstage) that would alleviate jumping between desks - they'd have to choose between the Mackie vs Soundcraft apps once stick with that. Overall its still not as elegant a solution as going to SQ. I can't quite visualise the POE/AVIO setup over Dante but thank you for that heads up. I'll look into it.

Erik - An M7 is too  bulky for me as a small operator. But the S32 + a apir of X32 Rack + Core is interesting. I neglected to list in my original post that I also have a Soundcraft Mini Stagebox 32. So what you are suggesting, I technically could already achieve. The current Impact firmware crashes the app regularly, I'm thinking of rolling back to the 40 input firmware. This will hamper my double-patch options but that's a separate issue.

But in theory that'll get me 6 stereo mixes off the Ex1 and another 6 off the Impact.

Or use the Impact at sidestage/mons for all inputs, and Ex1 slaved at FOH. Is my solution as simple as that? I realise that's two desks instead of one but it seems it'll get me where I want to go.

on: July 21, 2018, 02:57:27 pm 
Started by Mac Kerr - Last post by Kevin Maxwell
Ha! Funny, it's a small world after all.

Mac

Now that song is going to be stuck in my head for a while.

on: July 21, 2018, 02:04:52 pm 
Started by Dustin Campbell - Last post by Dustin Campbell
For sure - I will definitely study the manual more- I just donít like testing stuff on a gig - it should be fine though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on: July 21, 2018, 02:01:55 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Tim Hite
Well talk about disappointing. . .

Got my lectro adapters in the mail and played with the first mic just now. Turns out there's a broken connection somewhere in the joint where the cable meets the boom.

Tried another one and it works fine. Now to check the others.

I won't get to use it live for a couple weeks but I'm looking forward to it. It'll be the nicest quality headset mic I've used so far.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 15 queries.