ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: Today at 04:10:57 pm 
Started by Shane Dawson - Last post by Jeff Lelko
Thanks Shane.  So hereís a more useful response...

As Iím sure you already know, lighting is as much an art as it is a skill, so barring safety issues with power and rigging there arenít too many ďwrongĒ things you can do, unlike in the world of sound.  The best advice I can give you is to set things up and see what looks good to you.  If youíre lighting a band you have to take certain aspects of lighting design into account so that the talent looks ďnormalĒ and well-lit, but if youíre just DJing you can be a lot more creative.  The setup you described is perfectly fine if it fits the venue and the look youíre trying to achieve.  So on to your questions:

1 - See above.

2 - A splitter wonít affect addressing.  Furthermore, the board itself doesnít do the addressing.  It just streams out data on whatever channels itís capable of controlling (and you ďpatchĒ these channels to fixture profiles, on the nicer boards at least).  Itís the fixtures that need to be addressed, and the fixtures are incapable of knowing what else in on the daisy chain with them, barring the types of fixtures that are capable of sharing firmware, programming settings, etc.  The only times you generally need a splitter is when you have more than 32ish fixtures on a daisy chain, need to get fixtures in places that would prohibit a single chain from being practical, and for separating fixtures that either donít play well together or use the DMX cable for other purposes.  There are a handful of other reasons, but these are the main ones.

3 - No, your distances should be fine.

4 - It canít hurt, though Iíve never had a repeatable problem that using a Terminator has solved.  For how little they cost itís nice to have a few on hand just in case.

5 - No, and youíre right - just figure out your address allocations ahead of time.  Fixtures on a daisy chain donít need to be in consecutive order.  Address them so that they make sense and go from there.  The exception to this is if the moving heads and LEDs donít play well together.  Youíll notice the glitching right away, and if this happens then using a splitter (or your second DMX output) will generally correct the problem.  Iíve noticed this sort of thing more often on the cheap generic fixtures, but Iíve seen it on name-brand too. 

In summary, try to keep things as simple as possible.  The more ďstuffĒ you put into a system, the more opportunities for problems youíll have.  Also, unless your movers and LEDs are above what the average person would use for such an event, Iíd wager all this can fit on a single 20A circuit, definitely 2. 

Hope all this helps!

on: Today at 04:10:07 pm 
Started by Jonathan Goodall - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Our rep now says that it will be mid January before an SQ appears.   :(

And that's how the Grinch stole Christmas !

Merry Grinchmas!

on: Today at 04:07:49 pm 
Started by Leonardo Bertinelli - Last post by Tim McCulloch
I can understand FLYING with your own console IF:

1) it's a special configuration of a standard commercial mixer - i.e. maxed out DSP cards, special i/o package (lots of AES inputs/outputs, for example), etc.

2) it's a specialty or boutique product where you can't reasonably expect for the local PA shop to have one or be able to hire in from a local source.

3) your workflow has led you to install personal stuff (like a Mac Mini for ProTools rec, walk in/set change music, and Smaart) in the doghouse or behind the keyboard, or you've otherwise modified the packaging to stash the stuff you want to remain hooked up and available (and that would be a big pain to install on the console du Jour if you traveled only with those items).

If you're strictly on a bus & trailer or bus & truck tour, it's a matter of space and weight.  From the band's perspective it makes more $$ sense to carry more merch than a console no matter the size or weight of the mixer.  Your mixer is an expense, merchandise is income...

I'm presuming you're in the EU or close to it, Leonardo, and I'm not familiar with the size/weight restrictions of the airlines you'd likely be flying.  Helge and others closer to you will have more specific advice.

on: Today at 04:03:33 pm 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by TJ (Tom) Cornish
Some of your hearing will have gone by that age.  (If there was a difference to be heard at the top end.)
Nice.

on: Today at 03:52:13 pm 
Started by Shane Dawson - Last post by Shane Dawson
Hi Shane, Iím sure we can help but before any replies can be given youíll need to change your displayed user name to your actual first and last name per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up.  Thanks!

Thanks Jeff, have changed it already. Sorry first time in a forum.

on: Today at 03:46:39 pm 
Started by Leonardo Bertinelli - Last post by Jeff Lelko
What desk are you talking about?

Iím going to wager itís an incarnation of the dLive based on his identical post in the dLive section of the A&H forums.  I think the smallest configuration can fit the bill for generic luggage, but beyond that heíd be looking at the other options outlined above by you and the others. 

on: Today at 03:45:54 pm 
Started by Luke Geis - Last post by Tim McCulloch
The amount of publicity and interest that is generated by the m/X32 comparison is pure genius. I donít know if it was intentional or they walked into it accidentally, but wow I hope someone got a promotion. It also seems to play into the ďenemy/feudĒ rhetoric that is sadly en vogue right now.

As mentioned up-thread, some of us took (and a few still take) umbrage at the apparent theft of the intellectual property of Mackie and dbx, even though in subsequent legal proceedings the courts held that there was no culpability on the part of Behringer.  It was just too damn obvious that PC boards had been copied (right down to the OEM label) but for whatever legal reasons, Behringer was able to continue selling these products.

Some of us have a very long memory and particularly for those who make their living creating hardware IP, that memory is unforgiving.  For 10 years or more I would not let my boss purchase *anything* Behringer.

FFWD to the current economic/business expectations and the company now owns 2 X32 and 1 M32 and some accessories.

I fully understand the issues that Bob and JR and some other users have with the historic practices of what is now MusicTribe (or whatever the bullshit name is this quarter).  The fiscal realities of competition at the local/regional level dictates that we have to minimize our cost basis or we'll be losing business.

on: Today at 03:44:17 pm 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Bob Leonard
Probably 90% of the video playback I deal with comes off a Mac, and probably 50% for the presentation graphics. It is generally distributed either as HDMI or HD/SDI. If you are not prepared for the output of what is one of the most common video and graphics sources in the industry you just came unprepared.

Mac

even in my daytime world Mac. Mention graphics and you have to consider Apple as the product probably being used. 20 years ago I got bit on the ass by a very large Boston TV station. They called us in to network a bunch of Apple desktop systems. The installation appeared to be going OK, but then we ran into a number of systems that wouldn't work on the same network as the rest of the world. I reached out to Apple and was told the systems we were having problems with may have a NIC in them, but "At this point in time" the systems did not support networking. The intent of the port was to support apple printers only.

on: Today at 03:43:24 pm 
Started by Shane Dawson - Last post by Jeff Lelko
Hi Everyone..

Hi Shane, Iím sure we can help but before any replies can be given youíll need to change your displayed user name to your actual first and last name per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up.  Thanks!

on: Today at 03:34:28 pm 
Started by Luke Geis - Last post by Loren Miller
The amount of publicity and interest that is generated by the m/X32 comparison is pure genius. I donít know if it was intentional or they walked into it accidentally, but wow I hope someone got a promotion. It also seems to play into the ďenemy/feudĒ rhetoric that is sadly en vogue right now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 14 queries.