ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:35:49 pm 
Started by Ben Mehlman - Last post by Ray Aberle
Yeah, except some wireless providers (like T-Mobile) have already started rolling out testing on their 600MHz devices. Wouldn't it just be lovely to buy a 600MHz kit, only to find enough interference to make the gear unusable?!?

-Ray

on: Today at 05:46:10 pm 
Started by Erik Flesher - Last post by Erik Flesher
I have worked with a sound company for a few years and have enjoyed it. I kind of hit a ceiling on what I was learning so have gone out on my own. I have a pair of Alto TS115A 15 inch powered speakers that i have been using for monitors in smaller venues but I am getting requests to do bigger venues. I found the TS215A speakers on sale, which is the new generation of the old 115a. Should I stick to pairing with the 115s or is it okay to go with the 215s? The 215 have 1100 watts and the old gen 800 and at the moment I type this I am able to get the 215 cheaper then the 115 if I buy new.

Thoughts? I imagine there will be difference in frequency response but is it enough to worry over or should I stay matched for best continuity of sound reproduction and most importantly trimming frequencies for feedback.

ejflesher@yahoo.com

on: Today at 05:42:47 pm 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Stephen Kirby
Some of your hearing will have gone by that age.  (If there was a difference to be heard at the top end.)
Not all differences are nestled in that region between 12 and 18k.  Folks like Dave Gunness and Peter Morris have been improving the clarity of speaker systems by focusing (pun intended) on phase coherence.  Someone up-thread mentioned stereo depth.  There are many elements that contribute to realism other than upper octave response.  IME non-audio people are fairly tolerant of minor FR deviations unless you bounce them around against a reference (my stereo sales days with the speaker selector switch).  And most folks can't hear harmonic distortion below 1%.

on: Today at 05:38:37 pm 
Started by Samuel Rees - Last post by Dan Currie
I had 3x AD receivers with a CL5/SWP yesterday. 

Main 4.10
Sub 4.10
Dante 3.10.0.19
Rx/Tx version 1.0.17

ADrx were recognized but not supported.

Will update them to 1.0.21 and see if that helps.

They already "support" Axient, UHF-R, QLX-D, and yes, ULX-D.   I personally haven't heard anything on Axient Digital though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

on: Today at 05:01:54 pm 
Started by Luke Geis - Last post by Adam Kane
John, your experience is indeed the rare exception.  Congratulations.

Indeed. Every Ultra-Drive (DCX2496) we installed went belly up and made the frying egg sound. Great units when they worked though. We had a few other pieces of gear that failed enough to give us a bad taste in our mouths, and we never used them for installations again.

Last year, I figured I'd try to use a Beheringer line mixer for a budget installation in a school. Feature-wise, it fit the bill. The price was right and I figured not much could go wrong with a little 1U rackmount line mixer. Put it in, and 2 months later the power supply crapped itself. Ate the $$ and put an Ashly in there knowing it would likely not need to be touched ever again.

We do use a few of their powered mixers for rental SOS systems and they have held up surprisingly well.

on: Today at 05:00:13 pm 
Started by Bob Faulkner - Last post by David Morison
I can't find the little "manual" that came with my covers but I got the impression they fit all of the xxx112 speakers.  Might be worth checking the size of the DSR and compare, as the covers are just a little on the roomy side - if the DSR is a tad larger (say 1/2 inch) I think they'd fit.

The DSR112 is 18mm deeper and 25mm taller than the DXR12 - those covers would have to be a very sloppy fit on the DXR to still fit the DSR, unless they've got some kind of removable insert.

on: Today at 04:59:13 pm 
Started by Shane Dawson - Last post by Jeff Lelko
Thanks Jeff, legend! exactly what I needed, a no bs response to some very simple questions that I hope will now help other 'fresher' guys on here just starting out and afraid to post without being persecuted like on other forums.

Will be sure to frequent here for future learning curves.

No worries Shane, everyone here was a beginner at some point, and one could argue that we’re all still learners too.  At least I am!  As long as you come willing to learn there will be no shortage of people willing to help!  I’m sure a few others will chime in here too and offer further insight and elaboration, but lighting at the very core level is actually very simple.  Start with where you’re comfortable and grow from there.  The best thing you can do is spend a day just playing with the equipment and experimenting with different techniques.  That goes for techniques with fixture placement, programming approach, and the different types of “looks” you can get from the units you have at your disposal.  Generally speaking there’s very little you can do to damage anything, so don’t be afraid to play around.  If you need some creative ideas, just turn to your favorite touring bands and go from there!  Best of luck with the gig and don’t be afraid to ask more questions!

on: Today at 04:48:05 pm 
Started by Ben Mehlman - Last post by Justin Goodman
eBay is flooded with 600mhz stuff ... buy some, use it, and re-sell it ... if you take good auction pics and have strong eBay feedback, you might even come out slightly ahead?

If you can re-sell quickly and short term credit card finance it (I.e. have them float it for your statement period), you basically have an unlimited budget...

on: Today at 04:37:50 pm 
Started by Shane Dawson - Last post by Shane Dawson
Thanks Shane.  So here’s a more useful response...

As I’m sure you already know, lighting is as much an art as it is a skill, so barring safety issues with power and rigging there aren’t too many “wrong” things you can do, unlike in the world of sound.  The best advice I can give you is to set things up and see what looks good to you.  If you’re lighting a band you have to take certain aspects of lighting design into account so that the talent looks “normal” and well-lit, but if you’re just DJing you can be a lot more creative.  The setup you described is perfectly fine if it fits the venue and the look you’re trying to achieve.  So on to your questions:

1 - See above.

2 - A splitter won’t affect addressing.  Furthermore, the board itself doesn’t do the addressing.  It just streams out data on whatever channels it’s capable of controlling (and you “patch” these channels to fixture profiles, on the nicer boards at least).  It’s the fixtures that need to be addressed, and the fixtures are incapable of knowing what else in on the daisy chain with them, barring the types of fixtures that are capable of sharing firmware, programming settings, etc.  The only times you generally need a splitter is when you have more than 32ish fixtures on a daisy chain, need to get fixtures in places that would prohibit a single chain from being practical, and for separating fixtures that either don’t play well together or use the DMX cable for other purposes.  There are a handful of other reasons, but these are the main ones.

3 - No, your distances should be fine.

4 - It can’t hurt, though I’ve never had a repeatable problem that using a Terminator has solved.  For how little they cost it’s nice to have a few on hand just in case.

5 - No, and you’re right - just figure out your address allocations ahead of time.  Fixtures on a daisy chain don’t need to be in consecutive order.  Address them so that they make sense and go from there.  The exception to this is if the moving heads and LEDs don’t play well together.  You’ll notice the glitching right away, and if this happens then using a splitter (or your second DMX output) will generally correct the problem.  I’ve noticed this sort of thing more often on the cheap generic fixtures, but I’ve seen it on name-brand too. 

In summary, try to keep things as simple as possible.  The more “stuff” you put into a system, the more opportunities for problems you’ll have.  Also, unless your movers and LEDs are above what the average person would use for such an event, I’d wager all this can fit on a single 20A circuit, definitely 2. 

Hope all this helps!

Thanks Jeff, legend! exactly what I needed, a no bs response to some very simple questions that I hope will now help other 'fresher' guys on here just starting out and afraid to post without being persecuted like on other forums.

Will be sure to frequent here for future learning curves.

on: Today at 04:32:02 pm 
Started by Dave Garoutte - Last post by Dave Garoutte
I was providing lights at a gig last night and the FOH guy was mixing on a giant tablet with Mixing station for his Midas board.

I WANT THAT!  for my Performers.  ViSi :P!
I absolutely would pay for that kind of control and flexibility.
How about if all the Expression, Performer and Impact users send a request to this guy to write an app for us?!
I did.

Go to:  https://dev-core.org

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 14 queries.