ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 08:14:10 pm 
Started by Mal Brown - Last post by Mal Brown
Are there good, better, best amongst the iem systems ?

on: Yesterday at 06:28:58 pm 
Started by Mal Brown - Last post by Jerome Malsack
Most people would work this as a pair of IEM receivers with a stereo Transmitter.  Then make you cable for the receivers to the powered speakers. 

You can pick the usual IEM providers, shure, sennheiser, audio technical, to name a few. 

on: Yesterday at 06:07:49 pm 
Started by Mal Brown - Last post by Mal Brown
I'll be purchasing this off season, would like to be able to transmit 2 channels.  Clearly the new FCC Regs regarding the 600 MHz band are a consideration.  Any vendor I buy from will have to answer that...  Investment level is a factor but quality is as well...  What are the options and trade offs?

on: Yesterday at 03:52:14 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by Andrew Broughton
Variable autoformers are AKA "Variacs" (trademarked by General Radio in 1934). But Variacs are generally manual with a big knob and sometimes a voltmeter for the user to vary. These are common on test benches to troubleshoot/repair equipment.

Making it automatic is clever

Yeah, it used a servo motor fed from some voltage measuring circuitry and quickly corrected any voltage changes in the buildings, which happened quite often. Also worked from about 240v down to less than 80v. No protection against spikes, but for what we needed, it was a relatively low-tech solution that worked very well.

on: Yesterday at 03:41:39 pm 
Started by Chris Campbell - Last post by W. Mark Hellinger
Many years ago I bought a used, fairly high-end, board.  When I first received the board and started checking it out, one of the first things I noticed was a bunch of "NO" buttons.  I was thinking what the heck is a "NO" button!!! :o  Then I noticed the same location buttons on other channel strips were "ON" buttons.  (the "NO" buttons were "ON" buttons installed upside-down).

on: Yesterday at 03:26:50 pm 
Started by Chris Campbell - Last post by Tom Bourke
Or solo and insert as in the xl3. Careful with your fingers.
Modern equivalent.  QL5 dismiss popup screen is in the same spot as the on/off off for the gate on the home screen.  I did an accidental double tap and it cut off the presenters mic. :-X

on: Yesterday at 03:26:33 pm 
Started by Gary Weller - Last post by Debbie Dunkley
Been using DSR112's with PRX718xlf's for years and I consider it to be one of the best bar rigs for the money. I use a single sub in the smaller bars, turn it up a little and it fills the place.
I would also use KW181 - great sub for sound and robustness but I like the PRX subs because I find they fit into smaller places easier than the KW's due to the fact they are a little taller but smaller footprint.
Case in point, when i use my SRX subs (little wider than the KW but less deep), they don't fit as well on small stages or they stick out too far into the dance area. Large venues it won't matter.

on: Yesterday at 03:24:44 pm 
Started by Gary Weller - Last post by Steve Garris
Both the PRX and KW181 sub's are great for their intended use. I personally prefer having a matched system, so I would go with the JBL because I prefer their tops over the KW stuff. The DSR is a very good box - I use them for monitors and they are rock solid. I still prefer the sound of my PRX615's for the mains. YMMV

on: Yesterday at 03:11:12 pm 
Started by David Allred - Last post by David Allred
Mods, if this needs to move to lighting....   I thought is was more general in nature.

I use a several DMX boards concurrently, to simplify responsibilities.  To keep wash lighting, separate from spot or back lighting, etc.

In some situations, I need to have different boards said signals to a common tree.  I want to limit the number of power supplies required.

The "spec" listed for input power is 500mA min.  The power supplies are spec'd at 1A.  How safely can I power 2 of these receivers with one PS?  The 500mA draw by the receiver seems excessive.  Is there a way to determine actual draw?

thanks,
David

The RX dongles draw approx 68 - 70 mA in use.
The TX dongles draw approx 186 - 189 ma in use.

Maybe this will help someone out with similar needs.

on: Yesterday at 03:09:42 pm 
Started by Mike Sokol - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
I used a variable autotransformer in China that worked as a voltage regulator. Hadn't seen that before, seemed rather ingenious. Voltages were all over the place in China so it worked very well keeping the output voltage steady without the "jumps" of a standard autotransformer. You could hear it humming away as the wiper moved slightly one way or the other, keeping the output steady.
Variable autoformers are AKA "Variacs" (trademarked by General Radio in 1934). But Variacs are generally manual with a big knob and sometimes a voltmeter for the user to vary. These are common on test benches to troubleshoot/repair equipment.

Making it automatic is clever, as I mentioned already utilities use similar bump windings (also automatic) to manage mains voltage at substations as load increases and drops off over the day.

An anecdote I've shared too many times, the bump winding at my local substation got stuck one night (probably a decade or two ago). When I got home from work, I noticed my lights were unusually bright and getting brighter as the night went on... I called the power company and the guy working that night didn't believe me (I measured my wall voltage at 135V and rising). But it was a slow night so he drove out the 25 miles to check it out.

When he confirmed my measurements on the drop coming into my house, he drove the couple miles to the substation and probably whacked the stuck stepping contactor with a big non-conductive hammer.

JR

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 14 queries.