ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:43:56 pm 
Started by Steve Litscher - Last post by Patrick Cognitore
Thanks for the update Steve, that all makes sense. I recalled the other specs for the Captivator 218 pro and noticed they had changed. 27hz is great low extension, and the output looks tremendous.

I'm curious about the built in limiting on the amp. Is there any, how sophisticated, etc.

on: Today at 08:27:52 pm 
Started by andy foster - Last post by Patrick Cognitore
The decision between the other 2 was extremely difficult; I would say the qsc got louder than the rcf a little but with certain harshness.

The RCF art 745a mk4 had a smoother sound quality about it, I felt I could listen to it at loud volumes equal to the qsc but for a lot longer, it didnít hurt my ears the way the qsc did. But I like the qsc hurt my ears, it was loud very loud and that was what I was looking, something loud that I could dial back.

I struggled with this dilemma for a little while, In the end I went for a better smoother sound quality of the rcf, it was also cheaper and I felt more comfortable moving it on my own due to the 10kg saving.

IME a "harsh" speakers tends to sound louder because of the distortion, even at the same SPL. Some people like that, or at least are so used to it that it doesn't sound loud enough if the audio is clear of distortion.

I highly doubt that the QSC is louder than the RCF, if measured objectively at a reasonable, specified level of THD.

on: Today at 08:04:09 pm 
Started by Sam Costa - Last post by Mac Kerr
I ordered some Belden 9451SB wire (100'ft) to test it out.

What wire that is "thin" and good for portable cable?

Something with a braid or spiral shield, not install wire that has a foil shield that will separate from the inner conductors with very few rounds of coiling and uncoiling. That wire is not for portable use.

Mac

on: Today at 07:51:19 pm 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by Alec Spence
Yes, the Busses refer to Aux outputs. Though all the routing on the XR18 is flexible through the software patch.
This is one of the areas where the flexibility of digital mixers can catch out people moving from the less flexible analog world.

The XR18 has mix busses 1-6, which by default are routed to the physical outputs aux 1-6 - which would make your mix 1-6 = aux 1-6 assumption correct.

However, the routing options in the mixer allow all sorts of alternative routing to be set up, and different purposes for mix busses.  Yes, most live uses will use the aux outputs for monitors using the mix busses.  But, in the routing options, you can do things like routing an input channel direct to an aux output.  Or you can configure one or more mix busses to be subgroups, which you may or may not want to come out of the corresponding aux output.

Think about it hard, and look at some of the videos on YouTube, and it'll start to make sense.

But then remember that, with the default setting the mix busses 1-6 on the XR18 will almost always be used as monitor sends to aux 1-6

on: Today at 07:49:14 pm 
Started by Sam Costa - Last post by Sam Costa
^^^^
This.

I am not familiar with the wire Brian recommended, but install wire like 8451 or 9451 is not suitable for use as portable cable.

Mac

I ordered some Belden 9451SB wire (100'ft) to test it out.

What wire that is "thin" and good for portable cable?

on: Today at 07:35:32 pm 
Started by Steve Kennedy-Williams - Last post by Andrew Broughton
Yes please!  Pile it on.  That's what I come here for.

Seriously, it's a thing called personal preference.  I suspect you folks have a few of those yourself.
I come here to learn and in return, offer advice or opinions. I'm happy to explain the reason for any of my preferences, if asked.
I'm honestly curious as to how a computer is not a better solution. Perhaps there's something I've missed in comparing them.

on: Today at 06:57:12 pm 
Started by Nick Andrews - Last post by Jeff Lelko
thanks for the suggestion !

I know i'm asking alot but this is mainly for small club and or wedding bands. Generally 10 piece bands and very very small footprint. Id say approx height will be 6.5 feet up in the air, and musicians basically are crammed in between the sub / main stack which are generally 25 - 50 feet apart. Depth of most stage areas are around 12 - 16 feet.

I wouldn't consider a 50ft wide coverage area to be small.  The problem you're going to run into is that with only 1 light per side, you're going to have dramatic differences in intensities over the width of the stage, no ability to have gradients in your washes, and poor control of shadow.  And that's all assuming you can get a light with a wide enough coverage angle to fill the whole thing.  For the same amount of money, you can buy 8 decent smaller units and use 4 per side.  This will give you much better control of the light and more deployment options.  Is there any reason why this must only be 1 fixture per side?  Also, what's your budget, and why can't you get the lights any higher?  45 degrees up and out from the talent is usually best, but only 6.5ft up will give your wash a very flat look to it.

on: Today at 06:55:54 pm 
Started by Victor Estrada - Last post by Dennis Wiggins
What about the broken subs? Repair with same parts? Upgrade?

Repair with the same (original Peavey) parts if you plan to use them with other SP18 cabs or expect them to have any resale value.  You want them to sound and perform exactly like they were designed.

Trying to 'upgrade' with another type or brand of driver will be a guess, at best.

-Dennis

on: Today at 06:49:58 pm 
Started by Steve Kennedy-Williams - Last post by TomBoisseau
To dog pile on.... what does the "no computer" crowd think runs the Instant Replay and similar devices?  Must be an abacus,  eh?

Yes please!  Pile it on.  That's what I come here for.

Seriously, it's a thing called personal preference.  I suspect you folks have a few of those yourself.

Any other suggestions for a device as requested would be appreciated.

Tom

on: Today at 06:44:14 pm 
Started by Victor Estrada - Last post by Victor Estrada
Avoid the JRX.  It's shit.

What about the broken subs? Repair with same parts? Upgrade?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 14 queries.