ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So I've got my DSR112's, now what monitors !  (Read 10820 times)

Stephane Desormeaux

So I've got my DSR112's, now what monitors !
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »

OK, so I recently purchased a pair of DSR112's, and I am super happy with them. Gigged them twice, and performed flawlessly (wish they had side handles when you put them on the poles). They were better than the 612's, the k12, ARTs etc.... in the store, and they sure deliver at the gigs.

I am a bass player, so I help my bands by having a decent PA for small/medium venues. I don't want a huge kit, nor do I have the money for it. We play R&B, top 40, classic rock, etc...

Now for monitors. I was hoping the mic stand monitors sounded ok (TC Helicon, Mackie, Galaxy) but they sound awful. So step up would be EV ZXa1. They sound pretty ok, but nothing really super impressive. Should I get 2 more DSR112's. Would be great monitors, and on bigger venues, I could use all 4 112's for the house. I was also thinking K10's. Small, portable, light, and sound amazing before the limiting, compressing, DSP kicks in. I was also looking at keyboard combos as monitors. I use one sometimes.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stephane

Gustav Hedelund

• Liljedahls Musik - homepage
Re: So I've got my DSR112's, now what monitors !
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »

If the SPL requirements are not too high the MSR400 should be ok for monitors, and maybe something like Genelec's/ Roland Cube Monitor's on micstands for keyboard are nice. Depends on economy.  Nexo PS8 or PS10 are superb monitors too.

// Gustav

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »

If you only need 2 more for now, I would just get 2 more DSR112's. That way you can double duty on a bigger rig and have 4 of the same monitors.
Jay Barracato

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »

"Yamaha", please go to your profile and put your full name in the name field.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Responders - please don't respond to posters not adhering to the name rule, unless it's an admonition to fix their profile.  Help the mods out, please.... ;-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

chuck clark

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »

Yah, get another pair of DSR's. redundancy is good. You can swap 'em' if one has a problem. You won't have to re-eq if a swap is neccesary. Turning 'em down a little is cheap and easy. If you need more 'up' and don't have it-THAT's difficult and exspensive!
Chuck

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »

OK, so I recently purchased a pair of DSR112's, and I am super happy with them. Gigged them twice, and performed flawlessly (wish they had side handles when you put them on the poles). They were better than the 612's, the k12, ARTs etc.... in the store, and they sure deliver at the gigs.

I am a bass player, so I help my bands by having a decent PA for small/medium venues. I don't want a huge kit, nor do I have the money for it. We play R&B, top 40, classic rock, etc...

Now for monitors. I was hoping the mic stand monitors sounded ok (TC Helicon, Mackie, Galaxy) but they sound awful. So step up would be EV ZXa1. They sound pretty ok, but nothing really super impressive. Should I get 2 more DSR112's. Would be great monitors, and on bigger venues, I could use all 4 112's for the house. I was also thinking K10's. Small, portable, light, and sound amazing before the limiting, compressing, DSP kicks in. I was also looking at keyboard combos as monitors. I use one sometimes.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stephane

Hi Stephane,

I have been monitoring the new batch of powered speakers in preperation for purchasing a pair myself.

In what way were the DSR's better than the JBL PRX612?  I am aware of the issues with the K12 limiting at higher volumes which took them out of the running for me, but I have not been able to audition the DSRs at any local music store yet.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Oh, and I agree, just get 2 more DSR's.

Stephane Desormeaux

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

Hi Stephane,

I have been monitoring the new batch of powered speakers in preperation for purchasing a pair myself.

In what way were the DSR's better than the JBL PRX612?  I am aware of the issues with the K12 limiting at higher volumes which took them out of the running for me, but I have not been able to audition the DSRs at any local music store yet.

Well, I thought the PRX612's and DSR112's were pretty close in general. DSR's were a tad tighter, perhaps lower (sweet bass), but mainly, when pushed, you could kind of hear the JBL's approaching their limit, as to where the DSR's just seemed to be able to take more. I thought the DRS's were half way between the 612 and 615. I am pretty certain, If you audition both at different stores, you won't notice much of a difference, but in A/B comparison, I found the DSR to be the winner by half a second, :) Also, with boum boum dance, I had a hard time seeing a difference, but with music like Fleetwood Mac, Dire straits, Sarah McLauchlan, etc.... The clear definition of acoustic guitars, percussion, etc, just was better with the DSR.

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »

I agree that getting more DSRs is probably the way to go, if the price difference from the K10s is manageable.

It makes a lot of sense to have a backup, to have multiple boxes for FOH on bigger gigs, or to have a four mix monitor rig that matches.

Plus if you like how they sound... why not?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »

Well, I thought the PRX612's and DSR112's were pretty close in general. DSR's were a tad tighter, perhaps lower (sweet bass), but mainly, when pushed, you could kind of hear the JBL's approaching their limit, as to where the DSR's just seemed to be able to take more. I thought the DRS's were half way between the 612 and 615. I am pretty certain, If you audition both at different stores, you won't notice much of a difference, but in A/B comparison, I found the DSR to be the winner by half a second, :) Also, with boum boum dance, I had a hard time seeing a difference, but with music like Fleetwood Mac, Dire straits, Sarah McLauchlan, etc.... The clear definition of acoustic guitars, percussion, etc, just was better with the DSR.

Thanks!

I suspect that when used with a sub, the better detail of the tops would prove to be more important than its ability to "boum boum" ;)

I understand that GC carries both the DSR and the PRX, so I should be able to hear these A/B'd.

From the specs on the horn (2" compression driver vs 1-1.5" in most of the competing products), I had hopes that a more smooth HF driver would be created.  It is only important however, that someone like you actually hears the difference since a spec is generally not worth the paper it is printed on :)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:24 AM »

Hi Stephane,

I have K12s and I am not sure what the problem is having them limit when they get to end of their SPL. What do you want instead of them limiting? Let the smoke out? I find that they get plenty loud. I run them with KW181 subs.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.