ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Holy Grail" of LEDs: Pure White Light Achieved  (Read 2490 times)

Lee Richard

"Holy Grail" of LEDs: Pure White Light Achieved
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:55:57 AM »

Quote:

Physorg reports that scientists in India have just made a breakthrough, a so-called "Holy Grail in the illumination industry" in producing an LED that emits pure white light, suitable for interior lighting of homes, offices, etc. The challenge has been developing a combination of materials that will produce this light, which they believe they have now discovered. Unfortunately, this combination includes cadmium, which is toxic, though it is likely to be an extremely small amount, much smaller than the amount of mercury currently in CFLs.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1000/

I wonder how long it will take for manufacturers to get their hands on these.

Cheers
-Lee
"We do not claim to have achieved perfection, but we have a system, and it works." -Klaatu
Lee Richard
RCI
soundguy(at)gmail.com

Rob Timmerman

Re: "Holy Grail" of LEDs: Pure White Light Achieved
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:47:47 AM »

It's a new phosphor, not a new LED technology, so we might be seeing these on fluorescent lamps as well.  The new phosphor has a smoother spectral distribution than traditional white LEDs, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's going make major changes.  The current SoTA LEDs are pushing 60+ lm/W with CRIs around 85+ (the same as good fluorescent lamps).  And the CRIs can be improved by color-mixing with colored LEDs.

The full paper is at http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/jpccck/2007/111/i37/h tml/jp074703f.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.