ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VRX or PV Versarray  (Read 8989 times)

Mike Constable

• http://www.twinaudiosolutions.com
JBL VRX or PV Versarray
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »

I currently have two pairs of single 18" w-bins.  I am planning on upgrading my mains and would like to try the array route.  I am on a fixed budget and was considering JBL or PV.  I can probably only afford two boxes per side to start.  Would this be enough for bar/club scene and medium sized outdoor stuff?  I would say audiences range from 100-1000.  Just looking for some information and opinions on this potential setup.

A Thomas Lamb

Re: JBL VRX or PV Versarray
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »

You should read the reviews of the versarray in the road test section of the forum. 2 box's a side is not gonna do it outside for a 1000 people your gonna need more bottoms too. Good luck!
Thomas Lamb
A1 Orlando Production

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »

Mike,

If you're trying to get in to expandable arrays, the Versarray is probably a better starting point than the VRX. This is hard for me to say, as I went the VRX route!

The VRX are a fixed curvature 'linear array,' -- if you are trying to use multiple cabinets to shape the wavefront for long throw to the back of the house, VRX aren't going to work. If you want to be angle a ribbon of speakers just right for coverage in your venue, the VRX aren't going to work.

The Peaveys are cheaper, too... I kindof wish I had gone that route. I settled on VRX because I like JBL, because I got a good deal on an all Harmon setup (amps, processors, cabinets), and because the companies around here also have VRX, and we exchange so frequently we don't even bother invoicing anymore.

I am about ready for a 'real' line array, though, and the Versarray might just be it.

Thinks I like about the VRX? Very simple deployment in a lot of configurations. Multiple pipe pockets for different angles on a stand. Setup with an upward curving ribbon for stadium seating coverage from a ground stack has proved more useful than I imagined it'd be. They sound great.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Tom faderjockey Brandis

• http://myspace.com/tmbrandis
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »

Mike, I would at the very least go with 3 VR112's per side. Now, here's the problem. If you plan to use your existing subs how do you plan to mount or hang the VR112's? Peavey has a ground stack which mounts to a VR218 sub. Please take into consideration that the sub weighs close to 200#'s and makes for a very stable platform for the three VR112's. You could use the mount on your subs if A: your subs have enough room to mount the ground stack kit to and B: you make sure you strap both subs together for stability. Even then you may have to weigh them down depending on the weight of your subs. Each VR112 weighs 50#'s.

Just some food for thought.

I'm a happy owner of a Versarray system. If you're not far from Baltimore I'd be more then happy to demo it to you.

Cheers,

Tom in Baltimore

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »

Mike,
As others have said, don't expect 2 boxes/side to give you enough overall output on larger gigs.  It would work fine for smaller or low volume gigs, just don't expect to get "line array" effect with that many boxes.  And really you can't expect to do those size of shows anyway with your existing subs.  Keep in mind also the amp requirements for these.  They are fairly power hungry for their size so once you get into 3 or more per side plus subs you're going to be hard pressed to run without a distro.  If you want to keep to a small number of boxes with high output you might be better served by something like Community SLS920's or similar.  Those will give more output and be easier on your amplifier requirements.

The Versarray are great boxes but probably not what you really need.

Jeff

Gerry Tacker

• http://www.asrproevents.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »

If you are doing ground stack P.A. check out the Danley Sh-50
"Figures don’t lie but liars can figure and unfortunatly misleading / incorrect / impossible figures can sell.."
Tom Danley

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »

SH50's are a great box but based on what has been said already I think they will be well out of his price range.

Mike Constable

• http://www.twinaudiosolutions.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses.  I am still in the thinking stage of upgrading and I really appreciate that offer for the Peavey versarray demo.  I have been trying to mull over financing for the versarray but may have to go a cheaper route with a ground stacked trap system.
Currently I have two three way cabs stuffed with all Eminence
PSD2002
beta 12"
Kappa Pro 15"
I was thinking of getting more of the birch boxes and use 2-4 boxes a side for mains and use my existing 4 w-bins and either add bins or dual 18s.  Of course I will be adding amps and possibly thinking of PV cs series.
Thoughts?

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »

What's the pattern on your existing boxes?  Building more of those and grouping them may just take you into major comb filter territory unless they're on a narrower horn.  And even still, how is their pattern control overall (what design are these cabs based on?). That design might not have been created with intentions to array well... also is the mid driver horn-loaded and if so what is the horn shape?  Also, sounds like you are talking about mixing double 18's with your w-bins... DON'T... mixing bass cabs is a no-no

Cheers
Jeff

Tate_Tullis

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:54:14 PM »

ok, so i talked to the local sound guy here and he said stay away from both of them. He said that the Peavey ones have no output at all but the VRX are a little better. I of course have no idea becuase ive never used both. Anyone know. would either of the series work for clubs with 3 per side, maybe 400 people indoors to 700 outdoors?
Gamma Productions
Live Sound and Lighting
www.gammaprod.com
tate@gammaprod.com
(435) 770-6575
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.