ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VRX or PV Versarray  (Read 8993 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: JBL VRX or PV Versarray
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »

Tate Tullis wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 09:54

ok, so i talked to the local sound guy here and he said stay away from both of them.
That's a bit broad?
Quote:

He said that the Peavey ones have no output at all but the VRX are a little better.
No output? That's just nonsense
Quote:

I of course have no idea becuase ive never used both. Anyone know. would either of the series work for clubs with 3 per side, maybe 400 people indoors to 700 outdoors?
I am certain that they both would - although the number of cabinets has to be based on the coverage and SPL. At that size audience - a "traditional" stack configuration is probably much more cost-effective.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Tom faderjockey Brandis

• http://myspace.com/tmbrandis
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »

Tate, tell your local guy he's full of it. I of course don't have any experience with the JBL stuff, however, I have a Versarray system installed at a club that has a capacity of 500. I use a single hang of four boxes in the center and two QW3's for front fill along with 4 VR218's centered. It will rip your head off.

We have some very knowledgeable and experienced guys here on LAB that have used the VR system and love it. I don't know what your local guys setup is, but if it's 3 boxes per side and he's trying to do 2000 people, well what do expect, that's not enough rig for the gig. Look at the road test section on the Versarray. Lot's of input from many there.

Tom in Baltimore

Rob Burgess

• Montreal, QC, Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »

Tate Tullis wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 12:54

ok, so i talked to the local sound guy here and he said stay away from both of them.

Might I suggest you get a second opinion?  Better yet, get a first opinion that isn't completely full of shit.  Then get a second opinion.

He said that the Peavey ones have no output at all

Yeah, they're being used at Ozzfest because they suck and don't put out much sound.

--
Rob
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Tate_Tullis

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »

[quote title=Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 12:08]
Tate Tullis wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 09:54

That's a bit broad?

yea, theres only one big sound company here. but im still looking at the Versarray system. i can always expand it too which is a thing i like. well i guess i can expand anything but whatever  Razz
Gamma Productions
Live Sound and Lighting
www.gammaprod.com
tate@gammaprod.com
(435) 770-6575

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 01:16:35 PM »

ok, so i talked to the local sound guy here and he said stay away from both of them. He said that the Peavey ones have no output at all but the VRX are a little better.
Well, there you have it. Is there reason for more discussion?  
Quote:

I of course have no idea becuase ive never used both. Anyone know. would either of the series work for clubs with 3 per side, maybe 400 people indoors to 700 outdoors?
The JBL VRX and Peavey Versarry are 2 different types of speakers. The Versarry is a line array element, the VRX is a vertically arrayable speaker with a coverage patter of 100deg horizontal by 15deg vertical. To use 3 VRX, you have to want a vertical coverage pattern of 45deg, which is 3 times the 15deg per box coverage. You can only array the boxes at these fixed 15deg increments. What has become known as a "line array" is a large array of smaller elements that achieves vertical pattern control at progressively lower frequencies as the length of the array increases. It is also possible with most (if not all) "line arrays" to control the vertical coverage pattern of mid and high frequencies buy changing the shape of the array. With 3 elements per side there will be very little low frequency pattern control from either of these speakers. Since the VRX is a 12" low frequency driver with 3 horn drivers with a 3/4" throat, and the Versarry is a 12" low frequency driver with a ribbon high frequency driver, and they are 100deg and 90deg by 15deg nominal coverage respectively, I wouldn't expect there to be huge differences in performance in arrays of 3, although the PV will give you more vertical aiming capability.

Mac

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 01:18:17 PM »

Sounds like the local sound guy is talking out of his "you know where", trying to make you think he knows something when he obviously hasn't got a clue.  The VRX are "a little better"...  Laughing  Yes they MUST be "a little better" because everybody knows that a JBL logo makes it sound better than anything Peavey could ever make before you even actually hear the product!.... Laughing   What a joke, this guy must really know his stuff.

Alfred_Mapanao

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »

He must also work at Guitar Center
 I no longer want to participate in a forum filled with newbies and ego-maniac know it alls. Please delete me from this forum.

Don Boomer

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

Are you still having an open house/LAB party there?
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Doug Fowler

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »

Quote:

ok, so i talked to the local sound guy here and he said stay away from both of them

Time to find a new guy.....
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Tom faderjockey Brandis

• http://myspace.com/tmbrandis
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:15:57 PM »

Sure am Don. You making the trip? Love to have ya.

Tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.