ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Mic a string Trio  (Read 2297 times)

Chris Debol

How to Mic a string Trio
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:34:03 AM »

Hey Folks,

Had a last minute addition to a wedding I am working.  Originally I was providing two wireless mics and sound system for a speaker and singer but the bride has decided to add a string trio to the event.  The event is outdoors for about 250 people.  What would be the best but most economical way to mic them (do I need to mic all three or could I get by with one or two).  Any recommendations for mics? Thanks for the help.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Re: How to Mic s string Trio
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:46:52 AM »

AT4041, or an AT873R or i think its called the U873R now.

Outside put a windscreen on. Throw it in the middle of the facing the trio. They should balance themselves.

What I've done in the past and its worked pretty well as long as you have your speakers out in front of you.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Mike_Monte

• http://www.allegrochamberplayers.com
Re: How to Mic a string Trio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:37 AM »

Hello, FWIW I perform in a trio (flute/violin/cello) for many weddings (mostly at the mansions in Newport,RI) www.allegrochamberplayers.com in addition to being a part time sound provider.  Some of the weddings come with some sort of production (sound) provided for the band or dj.  To be honest, of the hundreds of weddings that we have done over the years, I have never had my ensemble mic'ed!  It would take away from the chamber music and make it sound "canned".  Usually we set up near the ceremonial area to follow the program and play accoustic.  Our vocalist (if hired for the event)does not need a mic to sing Ave Maria, etc.  
Our group does perform at a few "concert in the park" events per year and I use the following: three sm58's to mic our instruments.
Flute = mic near the headjoint approx 6" away, Violin " mic pointing between an F hole and the bridge approv 6" away, cello the same as the violin.  I provide one monitor mix.  I usually roll off the highs a bit on the string insts. as they tend to sound tinny  through a PA.  My advise to you: check with the ensemble!  They may not want to be mic'ed.  Best, Mike M    

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Re: How to Mic a string Trio
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »

The 4041 is a great mic for this application, but may not be the most economical choice.

For this, I highly recommend the Audio-Technica PRO37. I imagine a 30-Series AT would fall somewhere in between, but I have little experience with the 30-Series, so I can't say.

A single mic over the ensemble should work fairly well. Some sort of tall boom stand placed behind the group would be the least visually obtrusive. For a seated ensemble, I'd start in the center of the group, about 6 feet high. Place the mic as far forward as the player's knees. Adjust to taste.

Close micing with SM58s is the best way to NOT get a natural sound out of classical stringed instruments. The reason being...

The strident raspiness of high strings lives around 3Khz-5Khz. A cut in this area would be my first EQ move.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Weogo Reed

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:20:48 PM »

Hi Y'all,

Chris, how close will the ensemble be to the speakers?
If they have a good bit of distance, one mic will get the ensemble for a bit of reinforcement.
If the ensemble is near the speakers I would use three cardioid mics.  
Good windscreens might be VERY helpful.

Adam, the U873R is a very good mic, I have been trying one since January.  
It is one of the few mics I have found that will give a really good sound and decent level before feedback on Acoustic Guitar.
But the supercardioid pattern would likely be too tight for picking up an ensemble.

Good health,  Weogo

Chris Debol

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »

Thanks everybody for all the input so far.  Information is trickling in day by day.  This morning another little tidbit.  The attendance will be about 250 people.  The trio has requested to be in the shade so they will be about 40 - 50 feet away from the main ceremony.  Still haven't heard back from the musicians themselves although they have told the bride that they have performed many times before without mics.  This has been when they performed under a tent very close to the ceremony.  

Justin Bills

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »

Hi,

I've had great luck recently with the Rode NT4.  It's a dual-capsule cardioid condenser that sounds great on nearly everything I've used it for -- including grand piano, string quartets, percussion, orchestra, choirs and more.  Since the two heads are on separate mixer channels, it's easy to dial in a great sounding eq.  Best of all, they're really quite cheap.  $400-$500 might just snag you the most versatile mic you've used in a long time.  http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=NT4

good luck.

j.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »

Did anyone see this month's Live Sound magazine article about how they mic bigtime fiddler Anre Rieu (and some of the string instruments in his orchestra)? Interesting.
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.