ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SW118v  (Read 6024 times)

josh cohen

• http://www.weloveshift.com
Yamaha SW118v
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »

ive searched the forums, and havent found any reviews or success stories.

im running 2 yamaha sw118v's (which if i am not mistaken are 8ohms)
(rated at 300/600/1200)

off of one qsc rmx2450 in bridged mode (with 2 8ohm cabinets, it would be at 4 ohms - giving me 2400 watts, or 1200w per cabinet

am i wrong?

Josh Cohen
Sense Sound / Shift Industries
New Orleans, La

Elliot Thompson

Re: Yamaha SW118v
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:17:35 AM »

Yes Josh, you are correct.

2400 watts 4 ohms bridged will feed 1200 watts to two 8 ohm drivers.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Cosmas Bain

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

How do you like the Yamaha SW118v's?

josh cohen

• http://www.weloveshift.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »

i was running 2 for dj rig use off a rmx2450

they worked well in smaller venues

until a live hip hop act fried them

i sold the cabinets

moving on to build some tubas, most likely

Josh Cohen
Sense Sound / Shift Industries
New Orleans, La

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »

Those bass bins have a 3" voice coil Eminence driver(I believe.. at least they used to), and like the Peavey "PV" line are not really a sub, and cannot really do the job of a sub. They would probably be a decent low mid, as in a 4 way system. In a front loaded design I have found that unless you have a 4" voice coil large motor structure driver...they just can't really crank out the lows like say a Peavey SP sub. Note that a horn loaded sub like the the Tuba will not sound like a front loaded sub. Some DJ types complain that horn loaded subs don't have the "punch" they like, which is often distortion...
G

peter.golde

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »

Gary A. Perrett wrote on Mon, 20 October 2008 09:19

Those bass bins have a 3" voice coil Eminence driver(I believe.. at least they used to), and like the Peavey "PV" line are not really a sub, and cannot really do the job of a sub. They would probably be a decent low mid, as in a 4 way system. In a front loaded design I have found that unless you have a 4" voice coil large motor structure driver...they just can't really crank out the lows like say a Peavey SP sub. Note that a horn loaded sub like the the Tuba will not sound like a front loaded sub. Some DJ types complain that horn loaded subs don't have the "punch" they like, which is often distortion...
G

True the Tuba's do not sound like front loaded subs, but in my experience if you v load a stack of four of them, there will be no complaints from any DJ's, they will move some serious air and make people happy. Just make sure your tops are solid to 80-100hz.
I use an Aphex bass processor to dirty up the ultra clean output or the horn subs, add seasoning to taste, or none at all.
The problems I run into with horn subs is moving bottles of liquor off shelves, setting off car alarms, attracting fools who like to sit in the mouth.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Tell me about it..I have Labsubs in a 4 way system and some folks that live in a basement house about a block away told the owner ever since we put the labs in they have had earth tremors they liken to mini earth quakes... one guy came up really worried, "Is there a basement under this place?" I said no.. its a concrete slab..."That's crazy he said the whole floor is moving!"  Laughing

It also cleaned up a lot of the low end DIN on stage..It's a lot more musically friendly.. now if I could just get the bands to respond with a correspondingly lower stage volume... Rolling Eyes I know..fat chance...

G

Gary Perrett

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

In regards to the "Anonymous Coward"  Laughing heading appearing in place of my name...Well.. if you change your email address, and forget your password, guess what.. you cannot get your password reset...without the original email address... and you can't get into the old email address.. you get the picture...anyway, I established a temporary user ID to get this old one back. and you can't have two user accounts on one email address so.. I'm Back.. and the "Anonymous Coward" is gone... Confused  
Gadget
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
User accounts
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »

Gary Perrett wrote on Tue, 21 October 2008 14:53

In regards to the "Anonymous Coward"  Laughing heading appearing in place of my name...Well.. if you change your email address, and forget your password, guess what.. you cannot get your password reset...without the original email address... and you can't get into the old email address.. you get the picture...anyway, I established a temporary user ID to get this old one back. and you can't have two user accounts on one email address so.. I'm Back.. and the "Anonymous Coward" is gone... Confused  
Gadget

Gary, just as a heads up to those of us that get to handle the complaints department, about how many times did you post under the "Gary A. Perrett" account? All of those posts will now say "Anonymous Coward", and the moderators will get the complaints about name issues. I can't search for those posts because the user no longer exists in the system.

Mac
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.