ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any comments on Audix Wireless systems?  (Read 3595 times)

JimCreegan

Any comments on Audix Wireless systems?
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:25:37 AM »

I saw a few comments when these first came out, but nothing recently.

I know the mics are what I want.  How do the transmitters/ receivers stack up?

I have some Old Shure LX systems that need to be replaced because they seem to have constant interference.  They were pretty good for a long time, Is there any chance the interference is coming from wireless computer networks, cell phones, cordless phones, or anything else that has blossomed in the last 10-15 years.

Any help on this would be appreciate

JimC

Phil LaDue

Re: Any comments on Audix Wireless systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »

In the manual there is a chart of the VHF bands if that helps.
http://tinyurl.com/2dyx3p

JimCreegan

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »

Thanks

I am not sure where the interference is coming from, but I think the ones I mentioned are quite a bit higher frequency.  

I have a CD player that causes interference if it is plugged in, not even turned on or connected to the audio inputs of the mixer.  I don't know what the deal is with that.

JimC

Phil LaDue

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »

Bad power supply possibly?

Caleb Dick

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »

So far, my experience using Audix wireless has been great.  

This hasn't been rental stock or tour use, but resort/church use.   Both locations were pretty RF friendly, one the distance was about 10' from transmitter to receiver, the other about 85', both line of sight and large, clear path.  

I don't know if this is part of your question, but the beltpacks are metal, pretty solid, and very large.  Battery life looks great.  I foget what the handheld bodies are like.  

At some point I'd like to, or read someone else who has, A/B'ed the Audix with the A-T 4k for bass guitar.  This along with transmitting through various numbers of people, and in a large metro area (lot of RF).  Most of my experience so far has been with the A-T units.  

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Henry Cohen

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »

JimCreegan wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 10:25

I have some Old Shure LX systems that need to be replaced because they seem to have constant interference.  They were pretty good for a long time, Is there any chance the interference is coming from wireless computer networks, cell phones, cordless phones, or anything else that has blossomed in the last 10-15 years.

None of the devices you mentioned will be a proximate cause of interference to a VHF wireless mic, unless the device is right on top of the receiver or antenna.

The first thing I would look at is to confirm your transmitter(s) and receiver(s) are properly aligned and working to OEM specifications. Also check RF path (obstructions between the transmitter and receiver antennas), coax if using remote antennas and transmitter antenna integrity.

Have you checked the FCC Media database to see if any new VHF TV transmitters, translators or boosters have com on-line in your area?

Lastly, see if you can have someone come in to your venue with a spectrum analyzer or at least a fuller spectrum view scanner (usually interfaced to a PC) in order to get a comprehensive idea of the VHF RF spectrum in the venue.

Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
----------------------------------
"Every new radio emitter since Marconi’s 2nd transmitter has caused interference to other systems!" - Michael Marcus, Oct '07

JimCreegan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:53:20 PM »

Thanks for the Media Database info.  It doesn't look like there are any new VHF transmitters in the area.  Some UHF, but no VHF.

I am reluctant to send this to Shure for repair/testing because I know of a venue that had a similar system with the same problem that was "repaired" multiple times without fixing the problem.

Repair/checking the unit and testing the venue sounds expensive enough to justify a frequency agile system as a fix.  Plus I would have an OM6 instead of a first generation beta58.

Thanks again

JimC

Henry Cohen

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 03:38:52 PM »

JimCreegan wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 14:53

Thanks for the Media Database info.  It doesn't look like there are any new VHF transmitters in the area.  Some UHF, but no VHF.

I am reluctant to send this to Shure for repair/testing because I know of a venue that had a similar system with the same problem that was "repaired" multiple times without fixing the problem.

I have no real experience with Shure's repair services, though I've heard others speak well of it recently. There are other independent shops however you could send it to be checked: PWS and Sweetwater to name but two. Repairs, especially if it only needs an alignment, will be far less expensive than purchasing a new system.

Quote:

Repair/checking the unit and testing the venue sounds expensive enough to justify a frequency agile system as a fix.  Plus I would have an OM6 instead of a first generation beta58.

However, I would still very strongly recommend you get someone in to look at the RF spectrum before you buy a new agile UHF system; otherwise how do you know the best bandsplit to purchase? How do you know you even have available UHF spectrum in your venue? An RF site survey is well worth the investment so you're not working blind. If you can't afford a professional site survey, and don't know anyone with a PC interfaced scanner (or a real spectrum analyzer), try contacting your local ham radio club or SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) chapter: There may be someone who has the necessary equipment who'll do it for a token fee.
Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
"Every new radio emitter since Marconi’s 2nd transmitter has caused interference to other systems!" - Michael Marcus, Oct '07

JimCreegan

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »

[quote title=Henry Cohen wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 15:38]
JimCreegan wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 14:53

Quote:

However, I would still very strongly recommend you get someone in to look at the RF spectrum before you buy a new agile UHF system; otherwise how do you know the best bandsplit to purchase? How do you know you even have available UHF spectrum in your venue? An RF site survey is well worth the investment so you're not working blind. If you can't afford a professional site survey, and don't know anyone with a PC interfaced scanner (or a real spectrum analyzer), try contacting your local ham radio club or SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) chapter: There may be someone who has the necessary equipment who'll do it for a token fee.

This makes sense.  I was under the impression that the multi frequency systems had only one choice of frequency range.  

Would this survey be valid say, city wide or would it be specific to the venue.

I know someone at a local Public radio station who may be able to help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time

JimC

Henry Cohen

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 04:57:28 PM »

JimCreegan wrote on Thu, 26 April 2007 15:56

. . .Would this survey be valid say, city wide or would it be specific to the venue.
The survey, as you're going to have it done, will be valid only for the performance area (stage) of your venue (make sure that's where measurements are taken). Even then, the survey is only really valid for the time the spectrum analyzer is looking at the RF spectrum; once it's turned off, you know longer know what's going on. That's why on larger or more important events, the sound or RF company has an SA on site looking at the spectrum in real time.

Quote:

I know someone at a local Public radio station who may be able to help or point me in the right direction.
Only if they are or know the engineering staff.
Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.