ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV FM1202 Anyone?  (Read 15347 times)

Dan Brandesky

EV FM1202 Anyone?
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »

I'm curious if anyone out there still uses/has used these. I know a guy who may be offering me some for sale for what I presume will be a good price. I'm pretty sure they're good, I just wanted to hear what you all think of them.

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Re: EV FM1202 Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:53:38 PM »

I am a big fan of the FM 1202. It's as good as a small passive (as in not bi-amped) 12"/1" wedge gets.

Sure, they are covered in rat fur, have 1/4" jacks, and the grills could be a bit sturdier, but they perform quite well.

A company I work with has eight of them still going strong after almost a decade of heavy use. I give them a hearty recommendation.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Al Limberg

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 02:41:05 AM »

I'm with Dave on this one.  I still use a pair regularly that I purchased in 1983 or '4!  There's room on the jackplate to replace the 1/4" jacks with NL4s.  After about 15 years I installed Eminence drivers since I could buy 2 complete for less than one EV diaphragm kit. As a matter of fact, I just picked up 4 EVM-12L Prolines and a pair of Community 1" CD horns. I think I'll make some sawdust this spring!

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:30:06 AM »

Aaron McQueen has a thread about replacing his 1202's right now:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/20607/9721/

Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »

We are not getting rid of the 1202's because they did something bad, they just aren't the best choice for us.  They sound fine for what they are and what they cost.  But after using the ADR's we decided we needed something better for us.  We have a fairly small stage and out in front they take up some space and are not very pleasing to the eye, especially in a church.  We had to place them in such way that was not providing good coverage to the band.  The ADR's have a very good response on all sides.  Since they were smaller the placement is better and the coverage is better.

Bob Urtz

• http://www.soundwizard.biz
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 01:36:21 AM »

I've got 8 of them that I use and they're pretty bullet-proof.  I rarely hear complaints about the sound, quite contrarily I receive many compliments. The rat fur can get pretty ugly but you can't beat the efficiency for a passive box. Al's right about being enough room on the input plate for a pair of NL4's, but just barely leaving enough room to get you finger in to unlock the cable.  Make sure you position the NL4 in such a way that the lock is facing the open area of the plate when it's in the locked position.  

I recently was torn between upgrading to something a little newer and nicer looking or just fixing up the old 1202's.  I opted to fix them up.  There isn't a wedge on the market that I know of in the price range that can touch them. They do need some EQ to keep the feedback from escaping , though.  I ripped the rat fur off, recessed the handle (easier for stacking) and put another one on the other side, put a recessed NL4 input on each side, replaced the crossovers with SX300 crossovers (much more of a crispy top end) and replaced the woofers with the DL12BFH (qrx series) which are lighter and sound smoother, at the expense of some efficiency.  Here is a pic of the result...

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »

OK, so here's the next question: what is a fair price for an FM1202 in decent condition? I just want to know so I can compare with this guy's offer that he might have. He's also got some similar Community wedges, but I think if I can swing it I'll definitely go for the EV's.

-Dan

Bob Urtz

• http://www.soundwizard.biz
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »

A fair price?  All depends on what you call "fair".  I thought it was a pretty fair deal when the guy sold me four of them for $300.  I'm pretty sure you can't get a better wedge for $75.  I doubt you'll find any deals like that, though.  I've seen them pretty regularly for around $200 each, which they are well worth.

If you found some in "like new" condition, I would say $300 a piece is fair.  More than that and I would look to ebay or keep shopping.

Curious, what's the price you were offered to buy them for?

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »

He hasn't gotten back to me about that yet; I just wanted to see what you all think the market value is. I don't always trust ebay, because some people on ebay are just waay too desparate to get what they want that they'll pay anything.

-Dan

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:49:47 AM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Sat, 10 February 2007 18:09

OK, so here's the next question: what is a fair price for an FM1202 in decent condition? I just want to know so I can compare with this guy's offer that he might have. He's also got some similar Community wedges, but I think if I can swing it I'll definitely go for the EV's.

-Dan

The friendly neighborhood gear broker website says about $375 each. Anything cheaper than that is a good deal. $200 each might not be an unfair offer if you want to try to steal them.

A comparable 12"/1" box brand new is easily in the $500.00 range.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.