ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Cable trunk designs?  (Read 3618 times)

(Brian) Frost

Good Cable trunk designs?
« on: January 09, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »

Im looking to upgrade my cable trunks.  I think  i need 3 dividers, one for AC, one for xlr and misc 1/4", and one for speakon.  Anyone make one that isnt too huge and makes the cable accessible and organized?

Thanks
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Brian Bolly

Re: Good Cable trunk designs?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »

I started with two cable trunks that were 45"w x 24" d x 30" h on 4" locking casters.  Each had a permanent center divider leaving me 4 sections between the two trunks.  In hindsight, I wish they'd been removable dividers and that the trunks were a little taller (36" on casters or so).  One thing that has saved me on many uneven lift gates/loading surfaces is the locking casters on all 4 corners.  

I don't know how big your rig is, or you are intending to be, but I'd make sure my trunks were of truck pack dimensions - at least one measurement of either 45 or 30".  

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »

Hey Brian.  If you're looking for divider ideas, look here..

http://www.rrcases.com/trunkoptionstackdivider.htm

The bottom two pictures show R&R's divider options, which are quite nice.  Depending on how many sections you need, you can just move around the dividers.  Three sections, two sections, or one big open trunk, the choice is yours.

How big of a system are we talking about?

If it's a small system, do you carry a distro & feeder?  On my small system, I got tired of rolling in a distro and 75' of feeder only to find out that I had nothing but wall outlets.  So, I went with 2 trunks.  Trunk #1 carries the snake, Speakon cables, and Edison AC cables.  Trunk #2 only carries the distro, 75' of feeder, and anything else associated with tapping in power.  All microphone cables are in a 4 drawer workbox along with the mics, direct boxes, tools, and small sub/patch snakes.  I prefer the workbox option over numerous small cases for multiple reasons..

1) Easier to load in/out (one roll instead of multiple carries)
2) Easier to work out of.
3) Easier to keep an eye on.
4) More dificult to steal.

On my A rig, it was 3 trunks minimum; AC trunk, Speakon trunk, and snake trunk.  All 3 trunks are 30" by 24" by 35" high.  As with the small system, all microphone cables, mics, direct boxes, tools, and sub/patch snakes are all in a 5 drawer workbox.

I also agree with Brian, no matter what, make sure whatever you purchase is truck packable.  To add to that, try to purchase the correct number of cases to make your chosen dimension usable.  Such as, if you choose 30" trunks, buying only 2 of them doesn't make sense.  You'll have to buy 3 if don't have anything else that's already 30".  If you only need 2 trunks, go with 45" wide.  If you need 4 trunks, or you want them smaller, 22.5" wide also works.  FWIW, I'm currently working on Microwedge carts which I think are going to end up as 18" wide.  Two wedges per cart gives me 10 wedges in one row across the truck.

Oh and if you're using vans instead of box trucks, most vans are about 2/3 of a box truck.  You could do 2 30" items across, 3 22.5" across, etc..
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

andrew gissing

• http://www.stylusra.com.au
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »

I'm at the pub/club level and I had a case made with three sections, AND a case for mics that goes in on top, across the 3 sections.

This worked well until I started doing larger shows. I'm looking to upgrade this case but will essentially be the same but larger; still have mics on top.

andrew

Kai Reiss

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »

This link may be also a good inspiration (personally i find the divider solution from amptown-cases more flexible than the mentioned one from rrcases): http://www.amptown-cases.de/English/layout/index.php?dir=tra nsflex

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.