ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath GL2800  (Read 82990 times)

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Allen & Heath GL2800
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 01:05:20 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 11:26

I guess we won't know the truth of it until either of you actually shows the measurements.

It would be interesting to fill the mixers up with pink noise on every channel and Smaart them mixed down to the main bus. The differences between mic preamps can be so subtle you have to add them together in quantity to show results.

-Bink

I'm not sure averaging a number of mic preamp outputs will do anything other than smooth differences. Your test may reveal more about the character of the summing amp than the pre.

But yes, I agree the truth can be revealed with (the right) measurements.

JR

BTW: hows the heat induced green to brown conversions coming?
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 01:22:50 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 12:57

Arghhh... "Timbre"? While I suspect real differences between preamp are overstated, if there are repeatable audible differences they can be characterized by measurements. Note: I am not saying that they are characterized by published measurements only that they can be.

Sorry, JR, I was trying to be ethereal and measurement agnostic in my reply, but my intended point was the same as yours. The differences that exist between preamps are slight, and do not (usually) reveal themselves in frequency response measurements, or any one easy-to-pick number. 20Hz - 20KHz can be claimed by any number of different preamps that all sound and react differently under actual use... Is it phase linearity? Is it "smearing" in time (a la Gunness Focussing)? Is it impedence or gain or... I don't know.

I have no doubt it can be measured, I just know it is not currently in any easily digestible form.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Sweet Maria's
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:04 PM »

Quote:

...BTW: hows the heat induced green to brown conversions coming?

Just fine, thanks. Today's another conversion day.  Very Happy

It turns out the 24v 2VA Ace Hardware doorbell xfrmr I used on the fan circuit was woefully underspec and burned out on me... a much larger Radio Shack xfrmr with the same 2VA spec is working perfectly. Not overheating at all.

I failed to anticipate the two-week holiday vacation of Sweet Maria's people. Sad  Sometime between Xmas and NYE I'll run out of my stuff which means I'll use Peet's to tide me over until early Jan when I get another green bag. Current favorite is The Juan Francisco Project.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Sweet Maria's
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 13:16

Just fine, thanks. Today's another conversion day.  Very Happy

It turns out the 24v 2VA Ace Hardware doorbell xfrmr I used on the fan circuit was woefully underspec and burned out on me... a much larger Radio Shack xfrmr with the same 2VA spec is working perfectly. Not overheating at all.

I failed to anticipate the two-week holiday vacation of Sweet Maria's people. Sad  Sometime between Xmas and NYE I'll run out of my stuff which means I'll use Peet's to tide me over until early Jan when I get another green bag. Current favorite is The Juan Francisco Project.

-Bink

I've got 10# of decaf and 10# of regular green sitting unopened on my kitchen floor. I can slide you some in an emergency (PM me), but sending green coffee beans to SF is truly like sending coals to Newcastle. My beer supplier is in your corner of the world and also pimps beans  http://www.williamsbrewing.com/GREEN_COFFEE_C72.cfm AFAIK he's open next week.

Life is too short to tolerate mediocre beverages.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 03:22:36 AM »

I have a small complaint about the GL2800 after tonights gig, and I noticed it is common among several over A&H boards.

The GL2800 and other A&H boards have sides on them that are just the sheet metal from the bottom bent up. This creates a problem. When you go to pick it up and set it down you have to hold it from the bottom, but when you need to set it down there is nothing to grab onto so the only way to put it down is lower it down with your fingers getting scrushed between the table and the board, and then slide your fingers out and let the board drop.

Picking it up presents a similar problem, There is nothing towards the back of the board to get your hands under to pick it up.

This seems like a petty complaint but it is kind of an inconvenience. Presumably most people will have it in a flight case but if it is ever pulled out it is hard to move. My soundcraft lx7ii has molded plastic sides with a little recess to get your hands into to pick it up. Much easier to sling it around.

Plenty of handles on a piece of pro-audio gear is always a good thing.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

ThomasDameron

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »

Hold it with one hand on the armrest where there is an angle and the other on the back where the i/o is.  Tilt it a little until the hand with the i/o feels comfortable.  Then put it down and go order a roadcase.   Razz

Also, I see the flat ends as a benefit because it means the console will have a narrower footprint.  Some gigs every inch counts.

thomas d.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 07:08:04 PM »

ThomasDameron wrote on Sun, 24 December 2006 15:09

Hold it with one hand on the armrest where there is an angle and the other on the back where the i/o is.  Tilt it a little until the hand with the i/o feels comfortable.  Then put it down and go order a roadcase.   Razz

Also, I see the flat ends as a benefit because it means the console will have a narrower footprint.  Some gigs every inch counts.

thomas d.

The handle doesn't have to stick out. Take a look at the Mackie Onyx 24.4... Picked one of those up one time.. the handles are perfect!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Tim Padrick

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 04:51:20 AM »

Get a case with a tray style doghouse, and you can use deep six the case at the swanky gigs, yet still hide all the cables for a tidy look.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2006, 05:03:34 AM »

Behringer has a grip as well.

Maybe that explains it all. A good-to-better console never gets moved without a solid case. Handholds are superfluous.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2006, 12:41:03 PM »

Obviously a case is the way to go, but there are times when the board will need to be moved like from the box to the roadcase, and from the roadcase to the bench for cleaning, or in a permanent install when it needs to be moved so a band with their own board can put it in place. Or in the case of Evan where he is just borrowing the board and it was not sent with a roadcase. Any one of these times it would be nice to have something to grip other then smooth metal sides. It's a piece of live gear, and I'm looking around my room now at all the stuff in here that's just covered with handles.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.