ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath GL2800  (Read 82990 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Allen & Heath GL2800
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »

Tony Tissot wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 16:54

How is the build quality after the move to manufacturing in China?

Still seems very solid. Lots of screws in the frame to keep it together and the frame is very solid. It doesnt flex when you pick it up, besides the bottom. Seems like it's just a piece of sheet metal.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jim Brown

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »

Quote:

How is the build quality after the move to manufacturing in China?

The two consoles delivered to us have proved to be fine, as soon as they arrived (before our deadline for delivery) I briefly tested/got my head around the various routing options on both boards.   I then became very busy for a few days while one of our newer recruits tested every send and routing option on every channel.   He couldn't find a fault then, and we haven't found one up to now.   Or anything that looks like it might fail prematurely.

I wasn't aware of a move of their manufacturing, but I don't see why it should affect the quality.   As long as the QA process is strong the physical location of the plant seems to have negligible impact on end quality.

Jim

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 08:40:36 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 14:46

I ran the board hard again. Clipped the busses and you cant tell. It shows no signs of stress even pushing as hard as I can! Even though most of the night I was only running around 0. I made sure to push it up for the headliner though. Smile

Evan

Evan, Do you push you rig to the limits on every gig?  That seems a little silly to me.

You will lose you hearing, get tinitus, blow up 8" drivers, cause premature failures of equipment, etc.
Is this just typical teenage behavior, wanting it really loud?
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Fri, 22 December 2006 20:40

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 15 December 2006 14:46

I ran the board hard again. Clipped the busses and you cant tell. It shows no signs of stress even pushing as hard as I can! Even though most of the night I was only running around 0. I made sure to push it up for the headliner though. Smile

Evan

Evan, Do you push you rig to the limits on every gig?  That seems a little silly to me.

You will lose you hearing, get tinitus, blow up 8" drivers, cause premature failures of equipment, etc.
Is this just typical teenage behavior, wanting it really loud?

The world of Combat audio Ryan.... I normally find myself running out of gas pretty quick. With limited power its really a battle. 99% of the time I mix around the drummer. They play soo loud I have to try to get over top of it. So, I find myself running right up into the red. Im not gonna blow anything up, cause I know my limits. Ive gone past the limits once and blew up the 8's, but Im not letting that happen again.

Oh, its not that loud either. The last gig I did was only 98db @ FOH(75' back). We had 800 people though and they absorbed most of the stage  wash. I wasnt clipping anything and had a solid mix going. I pushed the board up during the headliner and hit 100db, but it wasnt my rig either. Its a monthly benefit show I do, all I provide is FOH and some mics. Mains are a pair of Carvin 1588's, biamped. Its in a gym that holds 800. They're enough and the drummers arent normally a problem in this room. Once I find my limit, I stay under it and everything goes just fine.

The other gig I do is with my full rig. Im normally 103db @ FOH(60') and its a pain. With the trx's run full range off a plx2402 bridged I never have enough. Drums are a pain in this room. Tomorrow will be the first time with the trx's triamped, so Im hoping to have more gas. Ill let you know.

Oh yeah, I normally mix with plugs in. Smile

Evan

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 09:29:27 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 22 December 2006 20:59

The world of Combat audio Ryan.... I normally find myself running out of gas pretty quick. With limited power its really a battle. 99% of the time I mix around the drummer. They play soo loud I have to try to get over top of it. So, I find myself running right up into the red. Im not gonna blow anything up, cause I know my limits. Ive gone past the limits once and blew up the 8's, but Im not letting that happen again.

Uh huh. Tell us about it Rolling Eyes

Laughing
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Runnin' outta gas?!?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 09:35:13 PM »

Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 12:26:04 PM »

Tony Tissot wrote on Fri, 08 December 2006 13:24

Quote:

...A&H has a more "flat" tone to it...

We'll actually - no it does not...

I guess we won't know the truth of it until either of you actually shows the measurements.

It would be interesting to fill the mixers up with pink noise on every channel and Smaart them mixed down to the main bus. The differences between mic preamps can be so subtle you have to add them together in quantity to show results.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 12:33:56 PM »

I suspect that differences in timbre between mic preamps is one of those things, like differences in sound between two perfectly flat speakers that nonetheless sound different, that cannot (easily?) be measured in Smaart. No doubt there is a phase component, but the rest... who knows?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Evan Kirkendall

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 12:26

Tony Tissot wrote on Fri, 08 December 2006 13:24

Quote:

...A&H has a more "flat" tone to it...

We'll actually - no it does not...

I guess we won't know the truth of it until either of you actually shows the measurements.

It would be interesting to fill the mixers up with pink noise on every channel and Smaart them mixed down to the main bus. The differences between mic preamps can be so subtle you have to add them together in quantity to show results.

-Bink

I was planning to do this over winter break. Just havent had the time yet.

Evan

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Sat, 23 December 2006 11:33

I suspect that differences in timbre between mic preamps is one of those things, like differences in sound between two perfectly flat speakers that nonetheless sound different, that cannot (easily?) be measured in Smaart. No doubt there is a phase component, but the rest... who knows?

Arghhh... "Timbre"? While I suspect real differences between preamp are overstated, if there are repeatable audible differences they can be characterized by measurements. Note: I am not saying that they are characterized by published measurements only that they can be.

To fully characterize a mic preamp one would need amplitude, phase, linearity, noise, and input impedance plots... for every gain setting. If there's a pad, that must be characterized for how it impacts input impedance and other performance measures.

We seem quick to forget these are connected to microphones which are not only far less accurate, may also exhibit dependencies on input termination.

Not to mention perceptual biases caused by gain law, feel of controls, brand halo effect, and dirty tricks. For example one trick I've seen (I will not publicly out the brand but I doubt it was accidental) was to under size the blocking cap in the gain pot leg. This had the effect of a sliding HPF that dramatically reduced 1/F and LF grunge from the preamps noise floor at max gain... "Man just listen to how quiet these preamps are compared to (a flat) brand XYZ". Of course published frequency response was measured at a modest gain where it exhibited decent bass response (coincidence, I think not).

Merry Christmas folks...

JR  
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 16 queries.