ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville NX20 bi-amp?  (Read 3863 times)

Aaron McQueen

Yorkville NX20 bi-amp?
« on: September 26, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »

I just picked up a pair of Yorkville NX20's used for next to nothing, for a small very portable system I'm putting together.  One of them is in good condition, however the other has been tampered with.  The one is missing the tweeter diaphram, the crossover, the protection light, and several screws.  I was able to  order the tweeter, light, and screws from yorkville, but the crossover is no longer available.  So I was thinking about bi-amping these.  Can I do this with an active crossover such as a  223XL?  Does the light bulb get run in series? How much power?  I have a RMX850, so I was thinking of powering the lows with side and the highs with the other.  Any suggestions?

Jeff Babcock

Re: Yorkville NX20 bi-amp?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »

I'm not much help for answering your main questions, but I do think you can probably do things as you planned.  Probably will be more reliable anyway.  I have had terrible luck with NX20's in terms of quality control issues with the crossovers and bulbs (the only Yorkville product I have EVER had an issue with - had to send one or more back 3 times with crossover issues).  Also be very careful as the neo woofer does not take much abuse even under conservative use (properly limited, high-passed, etc).  Maybe I just got some lemons as mine were bought when the NX20's were brand new.

Regarding how much power, I did actually know this back when I owned a bunch of these but I got rid of them a few years ago.  I'll see if I wrote the info down somewhere.

Sorry for my failing memory - will get back to you if I find something out.  

Thanks
Jeff

Mike McNany

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:55:51 PM »

Well, the light bulb is a waste as it mounts in the crossover. Plus it is a standard 1141 auto bulb (although it was almost too tight a fit when I replaced mine).

The horn driver is listed as a 8R 40 watt 1 inch driver HD1208R. (8R meaning 8 ohms.)

The woofer is listed as 12 inch 8R 350 watt prog neo speaker.

It appears the difference between the two revisions, A & B, is the crossover only.

Did you find the parts sheet on the Yorkville website? If not, I can email it to you. PM me here on it.

Yorkville is fairly responsive to email. I think they should be able to give you recommended high & low pass points for the components. You now have their listed wattage ratings.

I picked up a single NX20 on eBay several months back for monitor use. The guy probably thought is was bad because the light bulb was blown  Very Happy  It was listwed as functional  Mad
Wouldn't mind having another. Love the light weight.

Mike McNany

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 11:02:50 PM »

Actually mine are revision A, so the bulb is mounted on the connector plate circuit board, not the crossover.  My biggest concern is overpowering the tweeters and destroying them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.