ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Camco Vortex Amplifiers  (Read 96415 times)

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
Re: Camco Vortex Amplifiers
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »

Jens Droessler wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 15:33

index.php/fa/5953/0/

Yeah, and there are very few capacitors (speak: low buffer) on the PSU too.

Also, the housing is pretty cheap. SMD transistors pretty tightly packed in the output stage (with voltages over 200V, humid air ahoy!) and the worst performance on subwoofers you can get for that money.

I ABed them, I road tested them, and they failed. Sorry.

This is at least the second time you have posted information like this.
It is also the only time I have heard someone with a statement like this.
very interesting.
I have had no issues with mine but several of them are new to me.

What amps are you using instead?

sincerely,
db

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

Hey,

I have to agree with you here Dan.

In the few years I have had my Vortex 6's and Tectons, Jens has been the only one ever to have a bad word to say about them.

Simon

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:07:12 PM »

I just read about 15 of Jens Droessler's past posts.  This dude must have the most F#*@ing amazing golden ears on earth.  He says the camcos are only good on the highs and Digams only on lows and that the MA5000s are weak on bass!  This dude is out of his mind!  He must work for a company that competes with camco or something like that.  Anything that he writes should be taken with several grains of salt because as far as I am concerned he has no credibility at this point in time.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 08:18:42 PM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 19:07

... and that the MA5000s are weak on bass! ...

Wow, again that is news to me.

I was thinking the same thing about him working for a competing amp manufacturer.

Maybe he will enlighten us about the perfect amp for all?

sincerely,
db

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 10:55:52 PM »

Jens Droessler wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 14:33

index.php/fa/5953/0/

Ah, yeah. the old lie about the integrator capacitor in the servo "not in the audio path."  Phooey.

Quote:

A big bonus of a switch-mode power supply is that is doesn't need tens of thousands of microfarads of capacitance for it to function properly.

Quote:

SMD transistors pretty tightly packed in the output stage (with voltages over 200V, humid air ahoy!)

SMD!  Oh, the HORROR!

Having said all of that, I don't think I've ever mixed on a rig with Camco amps, so I have no opinion.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 11:22:43 PM »

This dude is out of his mind!

Well, he is from Germany.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 11:24:04 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 21:22

This dude is out of his mind!

Well, he is from Germany.

So are Camco amps....  It can't be the reason for how he is.  
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:52 AM »

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS wrote on Wed, 15 November 2006 17:23

Also, the housing is pretty cheap. SMD transistors pretty tightly packed in the output stage (with voltages over 200V, humid air ahoy!) and the worst performance on subwoofers you can get for that money.

I ABed them, I road tested them, and they failed. Sorry.[
===============

Then YOU are the only one I have ever heard of that thought these to be the worst performers!  All the guys at Nexo have had it wrong this whole time, right!?  Could it possibly be that the reduced distortion levels made you not like the sound of your subs?   Shocked  

One man,  one vote... relax if you don't agree with his opinion offer your own. It's possible to find flaws in everything (and everyone).

I don't have first hand experience myself, and don't much care.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Jens Droessler

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »

@ RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS: What is this with you? Having problems allowing other people to have a different opinion on things you bought? Sorry to piss on your parade....

Give your amps to a technician who knows the difference between 'good looks' and 'good circuit design' and he'll laugh his ass off on how the Vortex are designed and how you spent your money.

I did NOT say they are the worst performers. They simply are the worst BASS performers in their PRICE class. Just go and compare! I know MANY companies still relying on older Camco designs (DL) for their  Nexo PS15-sets, because they compared and even with a PS15 the bass was 'slim'. Only with the bigger systems they use Vortex6, because a rack with four Vortex6 is much easier to handle than a rack with four DL3000, smaller too. And it is NOT like the Vortex can't do ANY bass, it is just weaker.

I NEVER said the MA5000 is weak on bass. I said (and not only once) that the reason for the MA5000 sounding that fat is the pretty heavy distortion this amplifier produces at higher levels.

Yes, the original PowerSoft DigAm series, which I owned two of (until both suffered from PSU problems), is only really usable for bass. Highs get a rough sound, and THAT IS WIDELY KNOWN. Even the German distributor told this in public!

@ Dan Brown: I use LAB Gruppen fP and Studio R X-series. The LAB Gruppen fPs and FP+ are IMO the most perfect amps. They are good on bass, on mids and highs. If you specialize, like having model A on bass and model B on highs, maybe even a third model for mids, then Studio R is incredible. They have extremely strong amps for bass, and incredibly fine amps for highs, but not 'in one package'.

@ Andy Peters: SMD is NOTHING I'd like to see on the high current, high voltage output stage of an amplifier. I know of a ompany having an open air near a river (no, not IN the river), where five of sixteen Vortex amps FRIED because of the high humidity and the low distance between the SMD parts. I never heard of this with conventional output stages. Also if this happens the only way to repair the Vortex is to replace the whole board. I rarely had to do such thing on a conventionally equipped output stage.

The Vortex has almost NO capacity between PSU and output stage. It is highly depending on the power lines. And that's something even the most users admit (at least here in Germany).

The housing is cheap. It's not what I expect when I buy an amplifier for that price. The metal is thin. Of course this adds to the lightweight (but the LABs got a much better housing and they aren't heavier) and will not be a problem when properly mounted in a rack, but it's simply not what I expect at this price.

@ all: People, come on, be realistic. I know it's hard to hear such things about something you put a lot of money into. Go and compare instead of saying 'I never noticed that' or even insulting me. If you ant, go out and find flaws about my stuff... I have no problem admitting real flaws....
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 07:15:39 PM »

It's really easy enough to do a side by side and compare a couple different amps and find out whether Jens is full of sh!t or not. As soon as I can get my hands on a FP 13000 I'll be doing so here in the SF Bay Area. The Vortex 6 isn't powerful enough to run my subs anyway. Wish I could get my hands on one of those Studio R amps, but they've got no facilities for sales or repair here in the US, and I'm not about to drop $1500 for a demo...

That being said, I own 3 Vortex 6's and I like them a lot. Features like adjustable input gain, easily removeable air filters, and their unique parallel mono mode make for a great user experience. Maybe they won't like running on a cheapo gennie, but it's been ages since my system's been run on anything less than MQ power with plenty of headroom anyway.

Did I mention that Camco has great service? One of my amps arrived DOA (a very uncommon occurance as far as I can tell.) Camco had a brand new replacement amp at my door within days. Not like my I-Tech 8000 that took 2+ weeks to get fixed. Not at all... Mad
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.