ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The inventory control question again...An idea..  (Read 41232 times)

Scott Raymond

Re: No, not necessarily...
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:31 AM »

Too Tall (Curtis H. List) wrote on Sat, 23 September 2006 11:10

That would be the difference between a simple musical act and a Broadway play. They have laminated cards with all the trunk numbers and diagrams of how they fit.
Smile

Good point.  Never had the pleasure of working with a Broadway type show other then in the theatre but packing sets and odd-ball sized gack can be a real pain.  Helped with a Geoff Moore show once where they were traveling with one 53 footer for sound, staging and lights on a smaller show.  Cases and racks on the bottom.  Sets and lighting almost up to the roof.  Real pain to load but the guy loading the truck knew exactly where everything went and when we were done there was only a couple inches left to the back doors of the trailer.  Funniest thing I ever saw was a crew that came through with laminated cards and named cases including "Beavis" and "Butthead".  Made it a bit of fun looking for cartoon characters.  Laughing
Then there was a CW artist that had a portable basketball goal in the back of the truck that had to come out first.  I wonder what catagory that comes under on tracking software?

Riley Casey

• http://www.ESPsound.com
Re: The inventory - Filemaker users
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »

If anyone is currently working with or making plans to work in Filemaker I'm happy to collaborate such projects.  These are a sample of what we currently use.  

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

Well, that looks pretty comprehensive already!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Rob Spence

Re: The database idea subthread
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »

also, for equipment you sell/loose etc, the item should be "marked" as sold/lost etc so it can still be referred to if you were to report on stuff in the past.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Stuart Hogg

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2006, 07:04:34 AM »

Riley Casey wrote on Mon, 25 September 2006 15:57

If anyone is currently working with or making plans to work in Filemaker I'm happy to collaborate such projects.  These are a sample of what we currently use.  

Riley's material was incredibly helpful to me when I was starting to build our own Filemaker solution. Got some great ideas from it.

Riley Casey

• http://www.ESPsound.com
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »

I'm glad to hear that turned out for you Stuart.  I'd be interested to know what direction you went on that.

Stuart Hogg wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 07:04

Riley's material was incredibly helpful to me when I was starting to build our own Filemaker solution. Got some great ideas from it.

Stuart Hogg

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »

Riley Casey wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 14:42

I'm glad to hear that turned out for you Stuart.  I'd be interested to know what direction you went on that.

Our solution (so far) only covers hires and invoicing, we've never gone as far as dealing with crew or vehicles. We've got a few folks on staff who can create stuff in Filemaker, so we have added lots of random things to keep track of specific processes, and also things like price lists for sales items etc. The advantage of this approach is that it's relatively easy for us to add new functionality as we require it, the main drawback is that we have a sprawling mess of something approaching two dozen different files, and lots of legacy stuff that we don't use any more but would be awkward to remove.

I've had a play with the latest version of Filemaker (8.5) and quite like the idea of starting from scratch and rewriting everything into a single multi-table file, but I'm dreading the amount of work that this would be.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.