ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: hanging loudspeakers from drop ceiling  (Read 22692 times)

Grayson Rech

Re: hanging loudspeakers from drop ceiling
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »

OP,

don't over look ceiling rating may REQUIRE Plenum cables for use in ceiling area.

Grayson
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Wes Lineberry

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

Is there a book or website that can tell me guidelines for overhead suspension in this(our) field? Or do the same rules apply no matter what you fly/suspend?

Robin Parker

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:52 PM »

Here's my 2 cent contribution!!

There are a number of guides available, one of which is the RIGGERMEISTER PRODUCTION RIGGING GUIDE produced by ATM/ALLEN products.....  You may also wish to tour the "ken's links" pages for links to other sites...

Yes, I'd say that the same rules apply - a 100lb speaker weighs the same as a 100lb rock - pretty much the same anyway...

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! when "flying" or "rigging" ANYTHING - you MUST use the proper load rated hardware - not the junk at Home Desperate (er,) Depot - Chain MUST be grade 80  - hardware and fittings cannot be the zinc plated "bent" types - a really big fat No-No. Snap link fittings, cold shuts, laplinks ("quick links") are also verboten. Cast eye rings, and shackle are the way to go. Obtaining and learning how to properly "swag" (there are several names here) wire rope in a must. There are several opinions here, but the rule I live by is a 10 to 1 (static load) ratio. 1000's of pounds flown - no one killed - as I beat on this wooden desk....

Never, ever - even think about flying something (like a speaker?) that wasn't specifically manufactured for that purpose. I've seen some of the most stupid things done - like little swing set eye-rings screwed into the top of cheap speakers hanging 15 feet up in the air - yes it's been done I'm sad to say - I told the church that I could not help them in any way until I first took that speaker down - never heard back from them - good - I don't need that headache (pun intended).

It is essential that you maintain product identification and material traceability - and know the specific load ratings of (literally) every nut, bolt, screw, fitting and piece of hardware that is involved in the rigging process, else you may learn of another word, liability!!  Fun, fun!

Lets not forget the safety aspect - and all of the little goodies like harness and fall decelerators - personally, I really don't want a broken back. This stuff may cost a few dollars up front (aside from being required by OSHA...) but the benefits far outweigh the other option.

Here in my area we have the shipyard that builds little things like aircraft carriers, (they just pulled #77 G.H.W. Bush out of the dry dock a few weeks ago... I ramble) so we also have J. Henry Holland which is a riggers dream shop, Want to raise 900 tons? No kidding, they can do it! I don't know if they have a web-site but their number is 757-363-1910 - if nothing else, call and ask for their catalog - also check out http://www.thecrosbygroup.com - you want it - they've got it  

ATM/Allen offer a (free?) design service - if you don't know, don't guess - let a pro do it... http://www.atmflyware.com

I hope some of this helps!!

Robin Parker
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.