ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: TT24 - Part 2  (Read 67104 times)

Mark Herman

• http://ProSoundWeb.com
TT24 - Part 2
« on: August 01, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »

Finally some progress!

The Mackie TT24 that we started the original Road Test with finally has a brand new road case, courtesy of ProSoundWeb, and is being shipped across the USA. A new Road Tester, that you all probably know, will be putting the TT24 to the test on lots of varied gigs in the heat and humidity of Florida. Lee Jacobson (Brevard Sound) has plenty of things to use it on and has been waiting on this since we met at the Infocomm tradeshow in June.

I'd like to thank Maxline Custom Cases in Portland Oregon for helping us get the TT24 in a custom case and shipped. They have been really patient and helpful while we were trashing around trying to retrieve the mixer.

Now that we have a real case I expect that this Mackie TT24 will continue to be evaluated by another Road Tester after a few months in Florida with Lee. If you think you might be a good Road Test candidate (US only) let me know.

Give it a few more days for shipping and then hopefully Lee will start his evaluation right away.

Thanks for hanging with us. Chapter 2 -  The Return of the TT24 - begins soon.

Mark Herman
ProSoundWeb

If you don't like the news - make it yourself.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Re: TT24
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »

Good to hear. Our TT24 is pretty nice for what we've used it for... Monitor board...

A few churches have loved it.

We don't have a case for it. But being carefull with it while letting customers try it out has been good so far.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »

So a BAX truck pulls up in front of my house this morning.....

I can't wait to take this baby for a spin. I have read thru this thread, as well as some old threads on the TT24, and the manual, and some online reviews, and.....

I'll pull the case out of the box and crack her open tomorrow, post my initial "just walking up to the desk" thoughts. It will be interesting, coming from a Yamaha digidesk perspective.

More later!

Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
New tester
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:29:29 PM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Mon, 07 August 2006 11:42

So a BAX truck pulls up in front of my house this morning...

Cool! Have fun being the new test victim reporter. Lucky dog... Looking forward to your impressions.  Cool

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:10:23 PM »

I walked up to the TT24 with only Yamaha Promix Experience from 5 years ago. And was up and running in No time.... Its a realy idiot proof board.. The only confusing part is how you can do something in about 3 different ways, in whatever way is easier for you. Its amazing. I love it.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Lee Jacobson

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:10:10 AM »

OK, so I told myself I'd give myself one hour for the first round. I tried to look at the TT24 with a completely open mind. Having read parts of the manual, as well as some reviews, I must admit I had some "I wish it'd do THIS" thoughts. Most of my wishes could be easily summed up like this: be more like the Yamaha 01V I am used to. Those who know me will agree than I tend to do things "my way". I am something of of a control freak, but not in a "my way or the highway" sort of way. At least in my mind, it is more from a "once I figure out how to do things, if I do it this way all the time, I have less to think about, fewer chances to screw up, etc". What does this have to do with the TT24?? Well, nothing and everyting. I am used to the 01V and 01V96, so anything different is, by default, wrong, right? So I thought...

So I finally have some time to play with the desk this morning. I get to the shop, carefully open the shipping box so I can put the cased mixer back into it when Mark has me send it to the next Road Tester, slide the case out, pop it on a truck, and open it up. Initial thoughts, based on the look of the desk, are that is is quite a bit more "serious" looking than the 01Vs. Upon powering it up, I sit down for a "just walked up" session. I tried to look at this as a first timer, but my other digidesk experience probably gave me a slight advantage over a true virgin. I figured out most of the features pretty quick. Reset all the flexgroups to VCAs, set the EQ control to "slow" so I had finer control. Some reviews have said the EQ points change in increments that are too large. This is only true of you've got the machine set up to do so. I prefer finer control, and will gladly have to spin the knob more to get where I want. I set the digital end to 96K, and found it a bit more open/airy sounding than when set to 48K. Assigning channels to VCAs was super easy.
Things I thought I'd prefer the yamaha way, but didn't, were mostly the lack of a user defined page. On my 01V96, my user layer has the 8 VCA masters, two vocal FX returns, and six vocal channels. On the TT24, the 24 faders are always either channels 1-24, 25-48, returns, or masters. At first read, that bothered me. The fact that there are four group faders to the right of the 24 channel faders means I can park my "actual mix" VCA masters there, and still have access to whatever channels I need. The way I set up the VCAs to accomplish this was simple: 1= drums, 2= bass, 3= gtrs, 4= keys, 5= all instruments, 6= backing vox, 7= lead vox, 8= vox fx. Now, with the flexgroups on 5-8, I have band-minus vocals, backing vox, elvis, fx, all on separate VCA masters. When it comes time for the bass solo, I can either bump up the two bass ch faders, or switch the flexgroups to 1-4 and bump up #2. More on actual desk usage later.

The preamps sound fine. The EQ works well. The 6 band output EQ is cool. It has two parametrics, two shelving, and two notch filters. The one thing I could not figure out in my first hour was how to get to the "matrix routing" page. I'd like to know if you can route aux masters to the matrix. If not, the only way to get an aux master out is on a TRS, which works too. I'd prefer an XLR right on the desk. I am confident I can do any event with this desk, using no outboard anything, and not miss a thing. This includes outboard EQ for the monitors, fwiw. My mon racks are DSP driven and tuned pretty well already, so I don't need a ton of EQ to get the mons hot and stable.

More later. If anyone has any "what happens if you do THIS" questions, post them and I'll try them and post the answers.

Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:05:50 AM »

Quote:

...Things I thought I'd prefer the yamaha way, but didn't, were mostly the lack of a user defined page...

Me too. Didn't bother me a bit. I know there's a way I can take all the inputs and rearrange them into a customized User Bank but I have to admit I didn't feel like taking this extra step on any of the dozen or so shows I've mixed on a TT24.

I like the way you set up your VCAs.  Cool

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Lee Jacobson

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »

Bink,

Thanx! The more I sit here and sort of digest my hour with the TT, the more I really like the desk. To tell the truth, I was dead certain I was going to dislike the non yamaha-ness of the desk. Once I figured out how easy it was to use, I didn't miss a thing. I know these sell for $7100ish, which is also retail. I am going to call around today and see what sort of street numbers I can find, as well as price the DSP card. It seems without the card, you choose whether the internal DSP gets used by the analog inputs or the digital inputs, and whichever ones have no dsp end up with level and minimal routing only. That said, the dsp card is well under a grand, and for a guy who's happy with the 24+8 that the desk comes with, why should he pay for the dps he isn't gonna use. The fact that this desk, with the dsp card, at retail, is right about eight grand, is still very not bad. Add in three 8ch preamps of whatever flavor your budget allows, and you can have a 48+8st VCA desk for "about" 10K, also very not bad.
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Fri, 11 August 2006 09:10

Things I thought I'd prefer the yamaha way, but didn't, were mostly the lack of a user defined page.

I'm just a peasant (and haven't used a TT), but I thought there was a user layer.  If you press both Analog and Digital layer buttons at once, I think it calls up the user layer.  Don't ask me how to assign channels to said layer, but I think it exists.  I had heard that it was included in a firmware upgrade.

cl

Lee Jacobson

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 11:42:58 AM »

Clayton,

I'll check that out, thanx! There is an addendum to the manual, for the latest version. The Road Test desk is V1.3, Build 60, so it should be the latest version. Headed over to mackie.com right now to have a look....
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.