ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 driver LAB ??  (Read 5366 times)

Walt de Jong

Re: 4 driver LAB ??
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »

Hello Leon,

If you go from 4 to 8 cabs or from 6 tot 12 cabs this gives you 6dB more output. You get 3dB from the extra power and 3dB from the coupling of the cabinets.

Putting 4 drivers in a single LAB-horn only gets you 3dB. I think a better alternative would be to develop a new stronger driver for the LAB-horn (with same T/S) but with even more x-max and of course more powerhandling. Such a thing can be done but will be very expensive. The LAB as it is, is fairly optimal. I would not change to much of it.

Best regards,

Walt

Johan Rademakers

Re: 4 driver LAB ??
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 09:00:16 PM »

I was assuming you let the horn parameters define the cabinet size, not the other way around. You want the throat area to double to keep the compression ratio the same. Unless you're certain a higher compression ratio won't damage the drivers on the long term.

Not only will two Labsubs give 3 dB more output with the same power, it will double the mouth area as well making the sub more efficient at low frequencies.

With kind regards Johan

Ivan Beaver

Re: 4 driver LAB ??-Truck pack?
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 09:25:28 PM »

So what would you haul around 4-6 (per side) lab subs?  Not a van or a 5x8 trailer.  If you have a rig that size you are going to be using a truck.  A truck does not have to be a tractor trailer type rig.  Even a 14' truck has to be packed right, and having cabinets that fit those dimensions easily without wasted space is a big advantage.

You also have to consider the weight of the cabinets when moving them around.  There have been numerous products that have failed in the audio industry, not because of their performance, but because of their size and the ability to move them around.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.