ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nearfield horns ? (different twist to old discussion)  (Read 2025 times)

Randy Pence

Nearfield horns ? (different twist to old discussion)
« on: October 05, 2005, 08:38:35 PM »

I'm certainly a horn fan.  Somehow most of my professional experience has been using hornloaded subs, but mostly due to what my employer used or what used material my clients can afford.

While rereading this (http://www.live-audio.com/messages/archive4/1122.html) I stumbled onto an interseting line.

"At a distance of 10-12 feet or more, the horns were louder and lower no doubt but closer than that and the direct radiators were louder.."

Concerning large listening areas, horns would seem to be a nobrainer, but my work is primarily in smaller rooms.  The club might hold 1000 or more people, but the sound is concentrated into smaller zones.  The biggest indoor dancefloor I have designed was 10x10 meters.  The current club I work for is 4.5x7meters and maybe 7x10 meters.  10-12 feet cuts into a good chunk of hte dancefloor when the subs need to be felt right at the mouth.

What design factors result in more output closer to the mouth?  What compromises result from more output closer to the mouth.  Should I instead just use direct radiators for these kinds of applications?  It's quite true that a concrete wall will reflect most of that energy back, but not outdoors.

Should I just try to find Olson's books or are there any internet resources?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.