ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 18?  (Read 2372 times)

Ryan Rolfe

Yamaha 18?
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:51:52 AM »

Well I was the newbie who was cheap, who just got a stroke of luck. it's one of those friend of a friend type deals anyway one of them has a big rig and sold all his old subs forgot that he had replacement drivers and found them a couple weeks ago long story...he will sell me a pair for $100. I don't have them yet so I can't give you the specs, but I know the guy who designed his system worked for yamaha then started his own company.

Does Yamaha make actual sub drivers?

What is a good cab that is relatively simple to build?
I was thinking like C sub from speakerplans, or maybe just a simple reflex or ported box? I won't know  until I see how much CUft they need any thoughts?

Paul O'Brien

Re: Yamaha 18?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 11:11:12 AM »

Rrolfe wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 08:51

Does Yamaha make actual sub drivers?
What is a good cab that is relatively simple to build?

I don't think Yamaha has made drivers in a long time, but I could be wrong. These are likely Eminence drivers similar to the Sigma Pro.. but depends how old they are. The easiest thing would be to find out what cab they are replacements for and copy that. If you can find the TS specs even better. These aren't super hi powered but should be fine on that CS800.
Paul O

Ryan Rolfe

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:49:53 PM »

Thanks,
okay this iw wierd I haven't seen them yet, but i'm worried. Apparently the drivers are a new design (not yamaha) the original enclosures that were sold had prototype speakers these are peoduction runs of that. I have yet to get brand names spec etc. I thought of basicly copying the previous design but they  were huge three stack duals I was wanting to go single...I am getting ready to show my ignorance... Is there an average box that is okay with most drivers... I would like to use a 4th order badpass, but i am not a math wiz so maybe a simple vented box or something??

Paul O'Brien

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:09:23 PM »

Rrolfe wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 13:49

Thanks,
okay this iw wierd I haven't seen them yet, but i'm worried. Apparently the drivers are a new design (not yamaha) the original enclosures that were sold had prototype speakers these are peoduction runs of that. I have yet to get brand names spec etc. I thought of basicly copying the previous design but they  were huge three stack duals I was wanting to go single...I am getting ready to show my ignorance... Is there an average box that is okay with most drivers... I would like to use a 4th order badpass, but i am not a math wiz so maybe a simple vented box or something??

I'd say wait till you get them, then post a pic and any label information you can get off them.
There's no generic sub enclosure that will work with every driver, except maybe a sealed box, but that has too many compromises for live audio.. and even then you need differnet sized boxed for different drivers.
Bandpass boxes sound like Ass IMO, 1 note wonders, I've never liked them.
Think you'ld be better off with ported cabs, but the TS specs will tell for sure. You don't have to build dual cab, you can build single cabs with these, they'll just be half the size of the dual.
Paul O

Ivan Beaver

Re: Yamaha 18?JBMceavy?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 09:06:11 PM »

Yamaha also used had some 18" drivers made with their name on them, that were actually McCauley. The best 18's I had were Yamaha/McCauley frames with Peavey magnets and modified JBL 2241 cones in them that I made.  I just took various parts I had around and tried it out.  They outperformed everything else I had.  I came up with all sorts of weird speakers back in my reconing days.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.