ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PEAVEY CS 800/1000 bridge questions  (Read 7662 times)

jefdiamond

PEAVEY CS 800/1000 bridge questions
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:33:50 PM »

Three questions:

I am wanting to run my CS series amps bridged mono...according to the specs, Peavey wants the CS 1000s to utilize a jumper cable of some sort btw. channels A & B.  Is this a special jumper or can I simply patch over on the hiqh Z inputs?

Consider that balanced TRS 1/4 patch connections are not an issue, but am chaining the signal to other amps.  In this regard, would this damage my signal flow?

Last part: Most amps use the binding posts (both red) to carry bridge mode power to the speakers.  In doing so, one must insert the MDP banana connections over the red posts of each channel.  On the CS 800, the needed posts are several inches apart...how do I send the signal through one TRS 1/4 to the speaker?  Should I take the TRS connection apart and wire directly to the binding posts or are there single MDP bananas or simply use the standard dual bananas and wire only one side?

jefdiamond

Re: PEAVEY CS 800/1000 bridge questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:38:07 PM »

Another question:

How do I get a 4ohm load summing the power of both channels (not necessarially in bridge mode since it's a 8ohm min. load)?

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »

jefdiamond wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 16:33

Should I take the TRS connection apart and wire directly to the binding posts or are there single MDP bananas or simply use the standard dual bananas and wire only one side?

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/images/thumbs/1325.jpg
Model:  6546
Description: BANANA PLUG, SOLDERLESS
Pomona Electronics
Comes in a variety of colors.
Peavey's website has a great tutorial on bridging of power amps (read carefully for all your answers!)
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/poweramps/bridgemode .cfm
Good Luck. If it was me, I'd get a different amp with bridging capability that could handle 4 ohms, though..
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Mike McNany

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:44:27 PM »

I STRONGLY recommend you get the FULL power amp product number/name AND build date on the name plate and go to www.peavey.com forums, pro audio, and ask there. Actual Peavey techs will answer you, along with others.

There were MANY different models of CS800 and many of them should not be bridged under usual circustances, that's why they are not laid out to make it easy to do so.

Trying to get the rated 4 ohm output from the power amp when not bridged means hooking up a four ohm speaker to each side (2 total) or hooking up two 8 ohm speakers per side for a total of 4 speakers. There are no "shifting into 2nd gear" or "magic turbo boost" procedures. It takes TWICE the wattage to get a 3dB SPL gain, a difference where the average person can detect an increase in volume. It takes 10x the wattage for a 10dB SPL increase and that's where an average person would say it's twice as loud. Keep it in perspective.

Mike McNany

jefdiamond

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »

Okay...after a little research I have come to the conclusion...I need another set of amps.  I'm underpowering my speakers running at 1200W@4ohm.

The 4ohm rated power is simply not enough for this application.  I figured I could find some way to sum the power of both channels to one without having to bridge to 8ohms, but instead just get more wattage using both sides at 4ohms.  But, I guess that not how it works...

Thanks guys!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.