ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respect To Pro Sound Guys  (Read 5150 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Respect To Pro Sound Guys
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »

Eric Snodgrass wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 14:14

No stories quite that racy from this particular tour, I'm afraid, but I will say that the musical was The Who's Tommy and with this drummer playing it sounded like a version from Josie and the Pussycats.  
Straight beats?  
Snare always on the three?  
In Tommy?  
It hurt to listen.

You'll notice that the movie "Backbeat" was roughly based on the Beatles and not the Who.  Moon was congentially incapable of playing a backbeat.  Which is why the Who after Moon was not the Who that Horton heard.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 14:28

You'll notice that the movie "Backbeat" was roughly based on the Beatles and not the Who.  Moon was congentially incapable of playing a backbeat.  Which is why the Who after Moon was not the Who that Horton heard.

-a

Too true.  That's what happens when you hire a studio musician.  They've been trained to play many styles of music very well while quashing any playing style that they might have had.  You can't stick out while playing on (insert solo artist's name here)'s album.
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

Tom Reid

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »

Quote:

Snare always on the three?
In Tommy?
It hurt to listen.

Hurt me just to read it.

I gotta go rinse something off.

Quote:

There was much rejoicing.

...and all the whos in whoville too.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 07:02:18 PM »

In my small community there are several very competent drummers playing in bar cover bands.  One of them is a head (if not shoulders) above the others and they will attest to this.  He is probably the only adult muso with a life who still practices every day, on his own (and even learns new stuff that isn't in the songs his band plays.)  Once, when I went to listen to his current band, I asked about drum gates (I gate all drums in the bands I work with.)  This was his response.....

are you ready?.....

He said that he didn't like gates because he liked to hear his drums ring!
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Ivan Beaver

Re: Respect To Pro Sound Guys-To prove a point--
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 09:23:28 PM »

I agree 100% with all the people who have said tune the drums.  A good way to prove it is to go to a NAMM show ans look at the drum manufacturers displays and listen to them.  You won't see any damping/rings/pads etc anywhere.  WHY?  because you don't need them if the drums are tuned right.

It is a REAL!! pleasure to work with drummers who know how to tune.  It makes life soooo much easier and more enjoyable.  When you have properly tuned drums you can put just just about any mic on them and you don't need gates or a full parametric EQ to get a good sound.  A good PA helps however.  OH and a drummer who can actually play.  I have worked with drummers who can tune, but cannot play-such a waste----
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 09:52:58 PM »

IMHO - the best drummers are those you don't notice [hear] and don't worry about..

By that I mean that they are consistent in the way they play, the place on the drums head they hit, the pressure/force they use and they don't get carried away when the song heats up..... meaning the compressor on the kick or snare ain't working overtime or even at all. Smile  

One thing I've learned over the years on how to get a feel for the drummer [up next] is to look at the stick marks on the heads before they play. If they are in a tight focused pattern, the drummer is ususaly tight and focused. That's not to say that there aren't many exceptions, but it's a good starting point. Most good drummers are not sloppy tho'...

Steve

Eric Strand

• http://www.oberonproductions.com
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 06:23:24 PM »

So, I used to do sound at a large retreat center, and one day I heard over the radio "Eric, do you have any drum stricks? The drummer forgot his." I wonder what would happen if I said, "hey, I forgot the mixer, anybody have an extra?"

Wade Biery

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 05:09:58 AM »

Sound guys - a million half-assed wannabes out there pompously spouting around with their chest (belly) sticking out, a goodly chunk of decent guys who do a decent job and know what level they're at, and a few really good guys who make life on stage blissful and complete. There's not that many of them, even at pretty high levels of things, but when they're around, it's fucking awesome, and I mean that word.

Those guys deserve and get respect....and usually get PAID too....

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 10:43:30 AM »

I did a gig close to my home a few weeks ago.  The guitar player comes up during setup and says "What instrument did you say you used to play?"  I said "guitar" and he says........

"I forgot my guitar.  Can you run to your house and lend me one tonight?"

I knew I was in for a real treat that night before we even started soundcheck.....

StuartP
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.