ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheepie DI's  (Read 27263 times)

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
Re: Cheepie DI's
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »

Has anyone here compared a EDB1 with an IMP2 in the way of sound quality?  I'd like to know the difference, because IMO, the IMP2 is a nicer package...Smaller box, metal jacks, and none of those crappy self-tapping screws that are bored into side of the EDB1.  Unfortunately, there's no pad on the IMP2, but how often do we need that anyway.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Nathan Schwarzkopf

• http://NTSound.com
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »

thanks yall for the info.  I opted for the EBD1's.  

Thanks Again

Al K.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 05:43:21 PM »

LJP wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 12:55

Boomerweps wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 14:21

Don't know about the Whirlwind cheapee but the B active DI-100 is real good at picking up EMF from setting on amp heads. They work, just no shielding so placement is important.

Mike McNany

The unbalanced input side of ANY D.I. is fair game. Even though an expensive DI may be shielded better internally, it ain't no match for that little section of unbalanced guitar cord picking up the buzz.

The noise -- in this case, hum, not an RF buzz -- is caused by the amp's power and/or speaker-output transformers magnetically coupling with the transformer in the direct box.

It has nothing to do with the unbalanced cable connection.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Andy Spalla

• http://www.spallasound.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »

Actually, I bought the EDB1 since it had a 20db pad. I use it for connecting my camera to my Town Hall's mic system since it needs a 20db pad.
-Andy Spalla
GM DNR Pro

Lee Patzius

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 07:21:25 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:43

The noise -- in this case, hum, not an RF buzz -- is caused by the amp's power and/or speaker-output transformers magnetically coupling with the transformer in the direct box.

-a

My point was that a short section of unbalanced cord running through a transformer field, on its way to the DI, would not help the fact that the DI had a shielded transformer.

Lee Patzius

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 12:52:58 AM »

LJP wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 16:21

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:43

-a

My point was that a short section of unbalanced cord running through a transformer field, on its way to the DI, would not help the fact that the DI had a shielded transformer.

Unless the guitar cable was wrapped in a VERY tight coil with a very small diameter and a lot of turns, you won't get any magentic coupling between it and the amp's transformers.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tim Padrick

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 02:14:43 AM »

Spend a little more and get something nice: http://www.radialeng.com/di-prodi-prod2.htm

Lee Patzius

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 08:58:37 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 00:52

Unless the guitar cable was wrapped in a VERY tight coil with a very small diameter and a lot of turns, you won't get any magentic coupling between it and the amp's transformers.

-a

Andy, it doesn't take but one single pass through of any of our unbalanced cords, within the magnetic flux fields any of our stomp box wall warts, transformers, or portable power supplies, going to a high gain, high impedance input, to pickup hum.

I haven't tried it with toroids yet.

But I'm sure we've all experienced that noise from close proximity of numerous items, including console placement on top of old style heavy iron power amp racks, as one example, etc.

But especially with those high impedance guitar outputs, and even on my LOW impedance Roland TDE7K output cords, they are unbalanced, and I have to kick my cords away from their external power supplies on a regular basis (somehow they "like" each other).

I'm not sure where you are going with magnetic coupling as opposed to inductive coupling, both very similar, but different I'm sure. Like the difference between buzz and hum too.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate your experience into these matters!
Lee Patzius

Dave Ferrell

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 11:30:38 AM »

We have a couple of the active DI-100 boxes and have used them with decent results.  We also have a couple of the little ART X boxes.  They seem to work about the same.

Dave  

Jakob Grimm

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 01:27:48 PM »

We have been using the Rolls DB-25 "Matchbox" for the past few years and they've never let us down yet.  I had a dual ART passive DB and one of the transformers literally fell off the board.  Not recommended...
"Touch the board again and you'll pull back a stub."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.