ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: One hell of a gig...  (Read 15799 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: One hell of a gig...
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 11:31:44 AM »

Yeah... that wasnt fun when everyone came up on stage. I ran up as well and grabbed a few things and got them out of the way. But, this week the contract includes that we can pull the plug if we feel the gear may get damaged.

Not all change is good change.

RobertOziemkowski

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 11:49:09 AM »

faderjockey wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 14:58

Gotta disagree with you on your control of the stage Tom. If my equipment is up there and I see something like that happen, I pull the plug. I've lost a few monitors and damaged a few mics because of situations like that. Fortunately most of the bands I work for are past that stage in their life.

Tom

Couldn't agree more!

NOTIFY bands and promoter beforehand of your tolerance level!

If exceeded, shut it down!

Tom Reid

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 11:51:14 AM »

RobertO wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:49

faderjockey wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 14:58

Gotta disagree with you on your control of the stage Tom. If my equipment is up there and I see something like that happen, I pull the plug. I've lost a few monitors and damaged a few mics because of situations like that. Fortunately most of the bands I work for are past that stage in their life.

Tom

Couldn't agree more!

NOTIFY bands and promoter beforehand of your tolerance level!

If exceeded, shut it down!

I'm in this category.
People seem to behave when you take their toys away from them.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Ivan Beaver

Re: One hell of a gig...NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 06:18:07 PM »

Whatever you do DO NOT GET PHYSICAL with anybody.  I have been involved in a couple of lawsuits and spent a day in jail for trying to protect my equipment from those type of people.  It has cost me many thousands in lawyers fees-settlement cost etc (not to mention the equipment that was torn up), and got me just inches away from divorce.  If you have an issue, pull the plug (done that several times) and get away.  If anybody goes nuts-then you can sue them!  I lost 1 case on the basis that I was simply bigger than the person who brought on the suite.  The courts are simply not interested in justice.  They just want to get home to dinner and do not want to look at any evidence or listen to witnesses.

Simply walk away and let the proper security handle it.  Believe me that is VERY hard to watch the situation, but the judge will tell you that security is NOT your concern-you are simply there to provide sound.  Security is somebody elses responsibility.  IF there is no formal security, then the problem rests on the person who put on the show.

This is a very ugly business, and it gets dirty at times.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Reid

Re: One hell of a gig...NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2005, 07:56:44 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 17:18

Whatever you do DO NOT GET PHYSICAL with anybody.  I have been involved in a couple of lawsuits and spent a day in jail for trying to protect my equipment from those type of people.  It has cost me many thousands in lawyers fees-settlement cost etc (not to mention the equipment that was torn up), and got me just inches away from divorce.  If you have an issue, pull the plug (done that several times) and get away.  If anybody goes nuts-then you can sue them!  I lost 1 case on the basis that I was simply bigger than the person who brought on the suite.  The courts are simply not interested in justice.  They just want to get home to dinner and do not want to look at any evidence or listen to witnesses.

Simply walk away and let the proper security handle it.  Believe me that is VERY hard to watch the situation, but the judge will tell you that security is NOT your concern-you are simply there to provide sound.  Security is somebody elses responsibility.  IF there is no formal security, then the problem rests on the person who put on the show.

This is a very ugly business, and it gets dirty at times.

Well said Ivan.

I've suggested the large roadie, and the heavy flashlight has been mentioned here.  These are deterrent devices, not enforcement tools.

Contracts need to include some provision for security as well as other house responsibilites.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Chris Davis

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2005, 01:59:36 PM »

Agreed with Ivan and Tom here.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  In my case I most certainly pick and choose which "acts" I do sound for.  Given good sound, it is the musicians who will set the mood for everyone else.  

Don't be around to provide good sound for bands with poor attitude and they won't have you to torment.

I avoid bands that I am either unfamiliar with or not comfortable with.  Guess that is one of the luxuries of having a second income.
I have had thousands of dollars worth of gear trashed in the past and, although it was covered by insurance, I simply wish to avoid any more lessons from the "school of hard knocks" in the future.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
didnt I just do this last week?
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »

Well, Me and Tom were back at the same venue again tonight. Good news is that nothing blew up this time. We also had a much smaller crowd this time, only 120. Still had to push the gear hard though... We ran things a little different this time. RMX1450 on tops, CE1k on subs. That extra 150w made a big difference for some reason. You'd think going from 550w to 700w wouldnt be that big of a change, but it gave us the extra headroom we needed...

index.php/fa/2311/0/

....say Evan, are those JBL's up on tables? Smile Yup, Thats what happens when you forget your speaker stands Smile
Not all change is good change.

Chris Davis

Re: didnt I just do this last week?
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2005, 11:40:15 PM »

I've done the exact same thing.Very Happy   Wish I had the pics to show you...

Chris

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2005, 01:40:49 AM »

Yea, I have put our 150lb JBL SR Series II (2 x 15" and Horn) up on school-type desks before, mind you, that was nothing to do with forgetting the stands, those dont go on stands! The only trouble was getting them up there  Embarassed  Rolling Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.