ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of the mini mac  (Read 7003 times)

(Brian) Frost

What do you think of the mini mac
« on: June 10, 2005, 02:01:22 AM »

I am trying to augment my corporate bands lighting (currently use 12 par 56's).  I want to place 4 intelligent lights on the stage to enable color changes for the whole stage and some moving effects for big numbers.  I have used Mac 500's and thought they were great but overkill for my needs.  Im lookng at the mini mac as an alternative.  

I also looked into high end track spots but dont like the short bulb life and think the form of the mac lights suits ground placement better.

Suggestions?
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
Re: What do you think of the mini mac
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 06:19:26 AM »

Even tho you thot the mac 500 was overkill, I think you'll be disappointed by the minimac.  The beam is fairly small, and with 4, I doubt you'll get decent stage wash with them, even when they're just being used in addition to the pars.

I'd suggest the Mac 250 entour instead.  Great gobo selection, amazing speed for a moving head, better colors, wider beam, and you could rent them a couple times before you buy, to see if you like them.  Very few places in Chicago rent minimacs, but a lot of us have Entour sized stuff available all the time.  

Brian Ship

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 01:59:35 AM »

On the lamps, it's a question of the arc source in having a higher color temperature verses the incandescent QT-8500/EVC that's ?dimmable. Don't know my moving lights that well, for me it's more a lamp question and arc source lamps easily have both more output and color temperature - no contest even if the EVC uses a Xenon filler to boost it's output.

Same reletive output though the Mac 250 using one of a few or more brands of MSD 250/2 or MSD 250 type lamp in varying ranges of color temperature has more and has a longer life and better color temperature depending upon brand allowing you to dial in the results you want for the most part.  In other words, given a much higher color temperature the Mac 250,  Krypton/Entour/Wash (amongst many brands of fixture using the same lamp below) given by intent it's doing the same work for producing images or effect, it in output would blow away the Trackspot in output.  What features, accuracy and speed each brand and type has is dependant upon the fixture however an a play test and rental for a production for all considered is recommended.  The Trackspot is a very well used lighting fixture as similar to the Martin lines.  HES also has the Studio 250 line that should be comporable to the Martin Mac 250 series of fixture though more quiet.  Very popular lamp used perhaps more than other types of lamp for moving lights.

My mistake in editing now the past post lamp/fixture combinations, much less noting the Mini Mac, though especially if you go with the HTI 152 lamp version that has cost effectiveness and lamp life life going for it, it might be more similar to a Trackspot than a Mac 250.

Here is a list of the current fixtures using this lamp to the best of my knowledge.  There is a lot of them but not all will be doing the same things or even be a moving light.  Still in fair compairson, even the plug/wall socket manufacturer Hubbell is now making moving lights and should be considered amongst the below list for lights using this lamp.  Don't know what they do but given a lamp standard it is fairly easy to compare and contrast them then.

Abstract VR-12, AC Lighting Tour Spot 250, American DJ Ultra Scan 250, Clay Paky CP Color 250, COEF Color Disco MSD 250, COEF Color Fresnel 250, COEF MP 250 Optic & Fresnel, COEF Performance 250 Disco & Show, Coemar Color Cyc 250, Coemar i-Cyc & Spot 250, Coemar Panorama Cyc 250C, Coemar Pro Spot & Wash, Coemar Pro Spot/Wash 250LX, DTS Rainbow 250, DTS XR 250 Spot & Wash, Elation Accu Spot 250, Elation Active Wave, Elation Active Scan, Elation Color Spot & Wash 250, Elation Power Spot & Wash 250, Elation Waterfall 250, ETC Indeon AR250, FAL Acrobat, FAL Color Dance 250,  FAL 500, 1000 & 2000, FAL Hurricane, FAL Insense 250, FAL Modulo, FAL Promo 3 & 4, FAL Three-Sixty and Three-Sixty 2, Five Star Systems Helix 250, Futurelight AS-200, Futurelight Color Changer cc-200 & 400, Futurelight Extelight 250CMY, Futurelight MH-640/660/670/675/&680,  Futurelight PHW-250, Futurelight PS/D-200, Futurelight Scan sc-250/375/570, Geni MOS300, Geni OBY-300, Geni Shiva 250R & 250R/TM, Genius Color Mix, Genius MOtor Show 250E, GLP Y-Pac 250/250 Color, Griven Acrobat PE, Griven Popscan, Griven Stelvio CYM MSD 250, HES Color Pro/Color Pro FX, HES EC-2, HES Studio 250, HES Studio Color/Spot 250, HES Technobeam, HES Technopro & Technoray, Hubbell Helux Profile 250, Hui Hong Killer Whale, Hui Hong Wirlwind I, JB Lighting Varycolor 6/200 MSD, JB Lighting Varyscan Special Plus New, Lampo Wichhart PRO-lum 250, LDR Canto 250MSD, LDR Soffio 250, LDR Suono d10/28 & d20/40 Profile Spot, LDR Suonoi F250 MSD Fresnel, MAD lighting Axis, MAD lighting ITM 250, Martin CX-10, Martin Imagescan, Martin Mac 250 (Entour/Krypton/Wash), Martin Mac 300, Martin MX-10 Extreme, Martin Wizard, Milanolite USA RX-12, Opti Kinetics GoBo Pro, PR Lighting Moon/Tornado/Nova/Planet Scan, PR Lighting Pilot 250, PSL Omniscan MSD 250, Robe Beam 250, Robe Color Mix 250, Robe DJ Scan 250, Robe Ecolor, Robe MS Zoom 250XT, Robe Scan 250, Robe Spot 250XT, Robe Wash 250XT, Sachtler Active Color, Sachtler Miniscan, Sachtler Moving FX 2002, Sachtler Moving Spot/Wash 250, Sachtler Wall Color 250, SGM/Elettronica Cyberscan, SGM/Elettronica Giotto Wash/Spot 250, Steinigeke Futurelight MH 640/660/Exterlight/680, Studio Due Mini City 250, Studio Due Shark 250, TecLumen Arena 250, TecLumen Pumto Color 250, Terbly Flash 2501/02, Terbly Mini 2503, Terbly TB 2000/3000 Scanner, Terbly TB 5000/600, Ultralite Blackjack 200RG, Ultralite Magic Mirror, Ultralite Pro Head/Wash, Ultralite PR-Master 3, Universal Fog Space Gun Robo, and VariLight Veryscan 3 Special Plus all use this lamp.  While some are not moving light persay, you can see it is a very popular and well used lamp.

Luc Buytaert

• http://www.avl.be
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:42:35 AM »

Have a look at the Coemar Prospot 150 LX or the iSpot 150. They have a wide beam and are very good working fixtures with a very high light output.

Best regards,

Luc

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 08:36:29 PM »

I am gonna echo the comment about the mac 250 Entour. Our lighting guys have 20 of these heads in their rental stock and these are a kick ass unit. The Mini mac in its glory was never design for the rigors of Rock and Roll and lack a large part of the feature set the 250 line has.
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 03:21:40 PM »

I I-Spot 150 is great. I love this unit. The optics are great and the beam angle is wide. Just wish it had a dimmer.
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 17 queries.