ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer Ultra DI-120  (Read 32085 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Behringer Ultra DI-120
« on: May 25, 2005, 12:31:48 PM »

A band brought in a couple of these last night and I ended up using them, since I'd already used all six of our usual boxes.

Holy crap, these things are noisy.  I mean: hissing noise audible and annoying between songs.  Mute the channels and blessed silence.

There are many better $20 DI boxes.  As they say in the Village Voice, "Must To Avoid."

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Adam Kane

Re: Behringer Ultra DI-120
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 04:33:45 PM »

I've used several of these until recently.  5 have quit working on phantom power...they continue to work with the 9v battery.  The remaining functional ones seem to be fine so far but the power light which normally glows brightly with phantom turned on seems to be getting dimmer by the week.  And, as you said, noisy.

I don't trust them anymore...having one go bad on a bass guitar mid show (large event at that) was a bit too much for me.

I've used other B stuff before and have come to like some of it FOR THE PRICE, but I'd stay away from these silver DI's.

adam

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 03:02:48 AM »

Hi,

I AB'd these with 2 other DI boxes once; an MTR active one and a Monacor cheapy passive one.

I did find that the DI120`s (at least the 2 I had) were no noisier than the other 2 when set on 0dB.  As soon as you start cutting, essentially what was labelled as a 20dB cut seemed to be a lot more than that; and as such it required more gain to get a decent signal level at the input, hence more noise.  This was by no means a scientific test, just a listening test.

The conclusion at the time :- Ok to use if the source doesnt need any attenuation.  If it needs attenuating forget them.

I think one has since failed, dunno about the other one.

My 0.02

Simon

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

I try to avoid these things at all costs.

One day, I found that it's possible to "clip" this DI.  I've had instruments send it too much signal and the sound comes out distorted.  I've also had a couple crap out on me during shows.  At $20 a pop, some people will argue that they are disposable, but how many will people dispose of them before coming to the conclusion that they could have spent a little more on a better DI that wouldn't fail.  

I generally try to stay away from anything with that B word on it.

On a similar note, I have a couple ART passive direct boxes (of about the same price range) and had one crap out on me not too long ago.  The shipping to get it fixed almost as much as the direct box cost.  The Proco DIs I have (for a bit more) have been beat around for a while now and have never had a problem.

I guess in the end, you get what you pay for.  

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 04:56:31 PM »

It's possible to clip any DI, just with some it's not as obvious. If you're using cheap (less than $100) passives on hot sources (say, keyboard) you're probably saturating the transformer all the time.

However, my experience with the Behringer DIs has been identical to Andy's. Noisy as hell, cheaply constructed, prone to failure. I just won't touch them.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bob gardam

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:04:31 AM »

the Ultra DI-120's are truly terrible...

However the DI-100's arent to bad.. I've used them quite abit and never had one quit out on me (though I could just be lucky) and they definately sound better than any other DI *I* have used in the price range

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 01:54:35 PM »

Hi Andy!

There is no model DI-120 from Behringer, at least not that I know of or that I would have found on their webpage.

If you're talking about the DI-100 (silver BSS style) I can't report the same problems you've experienced.

In case you were working with the DI-20 (2ch version), thanks for the warning. I only attempted to work with those once, and out of 3 brand new ones, two were not working with phantom power - thus, back to the old passive ones I had in my suitcase.

Apparently this really is a piece of equipment to stay away from!

Cheers, Thomas
Thomas Albenberger

repairman

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 12:07:26 PM »

If its the DI100 you mean, something must have been wrong with that unit.

The national broadcaster in Denmark made a blind test of DI's and the DI100 came out as the best sounding unit.

And the test contained lots of much higher prised Di's

Andy Peters

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

ThomasA wrote on Wed, 07 September 2005 10:54

Hi Andy!

There is no model DI-120 from Behringer, at least not that I know of or that I would have found on their webpage.

If you're talking about the DI-100 (silver BSS style) I can't report the same problems you've experienced.

In case you were working with the DI-20 (2ch version), thanks for the warning. I only attempted to work with those once, and out of 3 brand new ones, two were not working with phantom power - thus, back to the old passive ones I had in my suitcase.

Apparently this really is a piece of equipment to stay away from!

Cheers, Thomas

My mistake -- the piece of shit to which I was referring is indeed the DI-20.  I apologize if I can't keep all of these similar-sounding part numbers straight.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

Andy Peters

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »

repairman wrote on Fri, 09 September 2005 09:07

If its the DI100 you mean, something must have been wrong with that unit.

The national broadcaster in Denmark made a blind test of DI's and the DI100 came out as the best sounding unit.

And the test contained lots of much higher prised Di's

As I just noted, the piece of shit is the DI-20 dual job, not the DI-100 clone of the BSS box.

The DI-100 should sound similar to the BSS AR133, since for all intents (to deceive? you decide) and purposes, the two units are identical.

However, as I've detailed in the past (search!), there are significant differences between the BSS and the B-Unit, and the most important difference is in the output transformer.  The BSS unit is oversized and magentically shielded and the Behringer is undersized and not shielded.  Magnetic shielding is a vital property for a direct box.

-a

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.