ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: (maybe OT:) Recording worship / copyrights/royalties/etc  (Read 9948 times)

nullset

(maybe OT:) Recording worship / copyrights/royalties/etc
« on: August 05, 2004, 11:59:05 AM »

Hi,

I'm curious about recording worship.  There are a few scenarios:
1) Recording and giving CDs to band members (so they can hear/improve/etc)
2) Recording and giving away CDs/mp3s on a website
3) Recording and selling CDs.

For now, i'm only thinking about 1 and 2.  So, what's the letter and spirit of the law here?  I assume that under 1, i might technically need to pay ASCAP/BMI/etc, but i probably would slide under the radar and noone would know/care.

For #2 though, it becomes questionable. For #3 i'd definitely have to pay.

So, for you other weekend warriors, what is/isn't legal, how much would i need to pay, and how does one get that arranged?

Thanks for any advice.

ttyl,

--buddy

Tom Young

Re: (maybe OT:) Recording worship / copyrights/royalties/etc
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:18:57 PM »

With all due respect, what you are proposing is stealing the intellectual property of someone who owns these songs. This someone has propbably sweated bullits to come up with what they did.  They are not all rich songwriters with mansions in Hollywood Hills, BTW.  And most, if not all, wrote from the Spirit.

I am constantly amazed that it is churches who seem so unable to fathom this form of theft.

It's wrong.  Arrange to pay the royalties.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Dan Costello

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 02:22:38 AM »

Tom Young wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 21:18

With all due respect, what you are proposing is stealing the intellectual property of someone who owns these songs. This someone has propbably sweated bullits to come up with what they did.  They are not all rich songwriters with mansions in Hollywood Hills, BTW.  And most, if not all, wrote from the Spirit.

I am constantly amazed that it is churches who seem so unable to fathom this form of theft.

It's wrong.  Arrange to pay the royalties.

Isn't that what he's asking how to do?

Regarding #1 - is that even infringement? You're not allowed to record yourself playing a cover tune so that you can listen to it?

-Dan.

Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 07:53:53 AM »

I may have knee-jerk reacted here.  My apologies.  He did use the phrase about being "under the radar", though.

If I was in this position and wanted to do the right thing, I would google on ASCAP, BMI or the phrase "paying music royalties" and look for the places to go to find out about royalty fees and how to pay.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

nullset

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 08:24:42 AM »

Tom Young wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 07:53

I may have knee-jerk reacted here.  My apologies.  He did use the phrase about being "under the radar", though.

That was in reference to giving the band members CDs.  I'm ASKING how to do it properly in the case of giving away CDs and/or selling them.

I was hoping to get an idea of what it costs to do this sort of thing legally.

I certainly wouldn't go selling CDs without paying royalties.  Esepcially since that could get the organization i'm working with in trouble Smile

so, what's the price range for the song writing royalties?

--buddy

breese

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 11:05:37 AM »

You will need to look into the CCLI website. They are/were the clearing house for licensing Christian praise and worship songs. You can check that out here: http://www.ccli.com/

I do know you will have to keep track of everything you play/sing and send them a report annually. This requires a bit of bookkeeping but is worthwhile to ensure your not stealing from soneone else's hard work.

Brian

Bob Currier

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 09:47:19 PM »

The basic CCLI license does include the rights to record the worship.  You can find more in the FAQ section of the CCLI
web ste.

By the way, making copies of the artist's recording as a way of
learning a new song is violation of the license and copyright
laws.

--bc

JasonC

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 01:42:43 AM »

Everyone should get a CCLI license.  Almost all Christian music is covered there.  As a part of the CCLI, you can set it up so that you can record and SELL a number of copies of your LIVE worship equal to 15% of the total number of people your license is for.  Such as, if you purchase a yearly license for a church that has an attendance of no more than 1000 you can sell up to 150 copies of your recorded worship service each week.   Here is the kicker, you can only charge $3.00 for the recordings and they must of the live worship songs used.

Its important that you list your CCLI number with these recordings as well as any lyrics you reproduce either for display on screens or in a bulletin along with the author of the song and its copyright information.  CCLI also has a lyric service you can subscribe to for only $35 a year.  It allows you to lookup lyrics online and download them for use in your sevices.  These lyrics will contain all the copyright information as well.

Dan Costello

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 01:19:49 AM »

BobC wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 21:47

The basic CCLI license does include the rights to record the worship.  You can find more in the FAQ section of the CCLI
web ste.

By the way, making copies of the artist's recording as a way of
learning a new song is violation of the license and copyright
laws.

--bc

What about recording the band's performance of the song and distributing it only to the members of the band who performed it? Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I think that's what he was asking.

Either way, I'm curious.

-Dan.
Dan Costello

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

Matt Collins

• http://www.UltraSonicDesigns.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:02:35 AM »

[quote title=Tom Young wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 20:18]...what you are proposing is stealing the intellectual property of someone who owns these songs....

quote]

Well... to clarify things it isn't theft; it's copyright infringment. There is a BIG difference. With theft you are taking something from the owner and depriving his ownership of it, and with the other you are infringing on his right to distribute and copy it. The two are NOT the same thing.  Razz
Check out my website: http://www.UltraSonicDesigns.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:02:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.