ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNS issues?  (Read 4159 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
DNS issues?
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:29:36 PM »

Any clues about this?

More often that one would expect, I'm unable to get to the LAB because my browsers can't connect to the server.  Pings are not returned.  If I do an nslookup on srforums.prosoundweb.com, I get bupkis.

Then, for reasons beyond me, suddenly the name resolves and the LAB is back.

Ideas, Ernie?

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Rodd Lowell

Re: DNS issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:01:38 AM »

Same thing happens to me.

I will try to get on the forums (or even just try to get to the ProSoundWeb main page) and I will get nothing but the "can't find server" message.

Any ideas on why?

Hope we can figure something out,

Rodd

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »

I think I know why some of us get DNS lookup failures.  Somebody fucked up and there's a bad entry in the main DNS tables as known by the root name servers.

$ whois prosoundweb.comWhois Server Version 1.3Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registeredwith many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.netfor detailed information.   Domain Name: PROSOUNDWEB.COM   Registrar: REGISTER.COM, INC.   Whois Server: whois.register.com   Referral URL: http://www.register.com   Name Server: NS1.BROADJAM.NET   Name Server: NS2.BROADJAM.NET   Status: ACTIVE   Updated Date: 15-feb-2005   Creation Date: 20-aug-2000   Expiration Date: 20-aug-2005   < ... snip stuff ...>   Domain servers in listed order:   NS1.BROADJAM.NET       64.73.41.34   NS2.BROADJAM.NET       64.73.41.35

Note the names of the name servers above.  Guess what? They don't resolve:
$ nslookupDefault Server: dns1.myisp.comAddress: 64.xxx.xxx.2> ns1.broadjam.netServer: dns1.myisp.comAddress 64.xxx.xxx.2*** dns1.myisp.com can't find ns1.broadjam.net: Non-existent domain> 

So, let's look up the names using the given DNS servers' IP addresses:

> server 64.73.41.34Default Server: bhost1.broadjam.netAddress: 64.73.41.34>

Very interesting ... the reverse lookup on what's supposed to be ns1.broadjam.net returns something else!

> ns1.broadjam.netDefault Server: bhost1.broadjam.netAddress: 64.73.41.34DNS request timed out.    timeout was 2 seconds.*** bhost1.broadjam.net can't find ns1.broadjam.net: Non-existent domain>

Yep.  The name server entries recorded in the root name servers (returned by whois, above; these are the values you tell Internic when you create or renew your domain registration) are not correct.  Either this means that at some point, broadjam renamed their name servers (dunno why they'd do that) and didn't tell Huge Universe, or when Huge Universe moved the servers recently (the move seemed to coincide with these lookup failures), they just guessed at name-server names and got it wrong.

I think the reason that I can get to PSW from some machines and not from others is that some name servers may have very long times-to-live and have cached srforums.prosoundweb.com's IP address.  In this case, the lookups never get past the nearby name server's cache.

To actually post this, I changed my computer's primary DNS server address to 64.73.41.34 and it works.  Changing back to my ISP's usual name servers, I lose.

So, Ernie -- that's your problem.  Can you fix it?  Look for my invoice in your snail-mail.

thanks,
-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »

I thought Ernie was gone from around here. Well, on a regular basis, anyway. The ship seemss to flying on auto-pilot and not a very good one.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
and long page issues
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:49:59 PM »

Geri O wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 17:43

I thought Ernie was gone from around here. Well, on a regular basis, anyway. The ship seemss to flying on auto-pilot and not a very good one.

Geri O
If Ernie is around, maybe he could look into the time it takes to load these long pages. If I scroll down in a topic before the whole list of topics has loaded it jumps back to my last spot when the page finishes loading. It takes so long to load the long pages that it slows down the whole experience. It must be awful on dial up. Or maybe dial up is so slow you don't notice.

Mac

Dave Stevens

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:20:54 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 10:24

So, Ernie -- that's your problem.  Can you fix it?  Look for my invoice in your snail-mail.

Ernie hasn't worked here for almost six months now...unfortunately  Wink  He'd troll the forums and the other parts of the site a few times a week just to make sure everything was OK.  I'm not sure if anyone except the current moderators do that now.  The person in charge of the project for Broadjam was having problems groking some basic DNS issues so during the transition I made sure those were responding nameservers at the time.  The last time I tired it was March 19th.

There does appear to be some DNS config issues now though...

As for the page loads, what was on 7 or 8 servers previously has been migrated to just a few servers though I'm not sure of the specific details.  It seems to get in and out of the colo pretty quick so I'd start looking at the servers and the application response time.  To my knowledge none of the applications or server loads were profiled prior to the move.

My suggestion would be to contact both hostmaster@broadjam.net and julie@prosoundweb.com with any issues.
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.