ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2393 times)

DSquared

A few questions
« on: January 19, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »

Hey everyone,
   Just signed up for the forum after reading through a few posts.  I'm currently a student at Columbia College Chicago and I'm considering on switching my major to Sound Contracting (I accutally am talking to the head of Recording tonight to switch over to Contracting.)  After taking a Sound System Design course here I've found a real connection with Contracting.  So, just a few questions:

1. Is home installation really booming right now, because I've heard from many sources that it is.

2. I would really like to be in a Union (I come from a strong Union family), I heard this is only possible doing commercial work.  Is this true?

3.  Are there any good sources (trade magazines, websites, etc.) for job listings in Contracting?

Thank you for your help.

Tom Young

Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 09:48:53 PM »

Contracting would be a very good career track, IMO.  And the fact that you're at Columbia is a real clear sign you did your homework when looking for a solid foundation and education in "meat&potatoes" pro audio.

Although I barely get involved in it, the home entertainment market is holding steady as far as what I can see.  It may still be booming.  It certainly will remain a viable market for a long, long time.  But it needs improvement in at least a few ways.  One is in measurement and optimization of the ldspkrs, which is overlooked or under-appreciated by 90% of the designers and installers.  As are acoustics.

Union ?  The larger cities require union membership (or permission) on commercial projects.....anywhere they have a strong presence with certain trades (electrical, theater). But for sound contracting in general, you not only may not need membership...... you may find it difficult to get into a union without working as an apprentice and not necessarily in sound contracting.

Pro Sound News, Systems Contractor News, ProAV, Sound & Communications and Sound & Video Contractor all come to mind as having classifieds for positions in contracting.  You can subscribe on line and get free subscriptions to each and all.

As Doug Jones would tell you: sign up for SynAudCon membership and get on the listserv.  Lots of contractors hang there.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

DSquared

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »

Thanx for your help Tom, I appreciate it!  I'm guessing you also went to Columbia if you know Doug.

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »

Glad to help.  

No.  Alas, I was well into my career in pro audio way befor Doug started the program at Columbia.  I have "hung" with him on a few occasions and know he is very highly regarded by many  of my peers.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

baking and welding audio

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 12:28:03 PM »

Alas, another Columbia student. I am a alum of Columbia's Systems Contracting program. Let me tell you, it is worth it. Both myself and my room mate got our degrees in contracting and were both hired on right away after graduation. An intership is an priceless "foot in the door" experience.

Doug and the Audio Arts program are awesome.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss. I have been there, and I know there are a lot of questions

jcorlett@westmusic.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.