ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Started...  (Read 4764 times)

turbo2ltr

Getting Started...
« on: January 05, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »

I do hope I'm not stepping on toes by asking this, if I am, I'm sorry and feel free to ban me Smile or point me somewhere else..

I'm looking to start an audio/video consulting company whose main business would be evaluating audio at churches and helping them improve their A/V through repair, upgrades and training.  (No new installs, at least for now)

I'm wondering what the 'standard' tools for audio analysis are.  I've been doing a lot of searching and came up with...

EASE for system modeling.  Seems the be the industry standard for modeling/ simulation, but nothing for real time analysis.

TerraSonde Audio Toolbox - stand alone tool with a plethora of tests
WinMLS - PC based tool with similar tests

Anyone have better options?

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Dave Junius

Re: Getting Started...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 07:10:17 PM »

Mike,
Check out the SMAART software. I don't own it but have seen it in use. Sorry, but I can't say much more about it's uses since I haven't used it myself. It should be useful for comparing input signals to what the output from the system is for setting delays and EQ and stuff. I think their website is www.siasoft.com but a search should tell you more. Hope this helps.

ATL Dave

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:14:12 AM »

For what you plan on doing, EASE would be not be a viable tool.  First of all, it costs a lot. 2nd, you have to have autoCAD files of the room or you have to draw the room and this takes a good amount of time even though you do not need extreme detail. 3d, you should be able to hear and measure what is wrong so why would you need a model ?

The ATB is probably the best multitester for what you plan on doing.  It is robust, easy to read, provides many very useful tests, interfaces with PC or Mac and expands graphics with these, is continually developed, etc.

SmaartLive would be the best 2-channel FFT measurement system to invest in, IMO.  Plan on spending a lot of time learning how to use it and go to a Smaart class.

Go to SynAudCon seminars.    www.synaudcon.com
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

turbo2ltr

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

Thank you guys.  I actually had found Smaart, but forgot to list it.  

Let me ask something... doesn't the ATB do the FFT or is SMAART a better FFT?

I'll definitely be taking a trip to MA for a SMAART class.

Thanks!
-Mike

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »

"doesn't the ATB do the FFT or is SMAART a better FFT?"

The new ATB Trinity has dual inputs and will do 2-channel FFT measurements at some point in time and (maybe) for an additional fee.  The current ATB is a 1-channel device.  

Two channels are required to do a transfer function measurement, in which the source input is compared with the measured input.

Smaart has become the defacto standard for touring live sound mixers, contractors, operators and consultants.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Dan Timon

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 05:28:07 PM »

Tom Young wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 17:05

"doesn't the ATB do the FFT or is SMAART a better FFT?"

The new ATB Trinity has dual inputs and will do 2-channel FFT measurements at some point in time and (maybe) for an additional fee.  The current ATB is a 1-channel device.  

Two channels are required to do a transfer function measurement, in which the source input is compared with the measured input.

Smaart has become the defacto standard for touring live sound mixers, contractors, operators and consultants.

As an ATB Plus owner, I had been looking forward to upgrading to the Trinity but because of the big cost ($3000 MSRP to buy or $1800 to upgrade) I will definitely go the SMAART route. I think ATB waited too long to upgrade to dual channel, and consequently lost market share to SMAART that it will be unable to recover.

Regards,

Dan Timon

Tom Young

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »

"I think ATB waited too long to upgrade to dual channel, and consequently lost market share to SMAART that it will be unable to recover."

I see the ATB and Smaart as both being necessary.  In my consulting and optimization work and for the troubleshooting that the original poster referred to, I believe that you cannot do a thorough job with just one or the other.  

As you more or less said, Smaart leads the the field in dual channel FFT measurement and it does this very well, obviously.  But other measurements that can be done w/ Smaart require constant calibration and/or a black box in order to work.

The ATB does a good number of measurements that Smaart cannot do, plus it is calibrated (and retains calibration) and it is a stand alone device.  

Among the more useful measurements I find with ATB are: impedance (w/ graphical displays and the ability to send files via email), polarity, sound level meter, sound study graph, frequency counter, etc. And there are the other acoustics measurements which look promising such as STI, %Alcons and Noise Criteria curves.

The Trinity will offer much more.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Dan Timon

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 11:35:40 PM »

[quote title=Tom Young wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 21:26

The ATB does a good number of measurements that Smaart cannot do, plus it is calibrated (and retains calibration) and it is a stand alone device.  

Among the more useful measurements I find with ATB are: impedance (w/ graphical displays and the ability to send files via email), polarity, sound level meter, sound study graph, frequency counter, etc. And there are the other acoustics measurements which look promising such as STI, %Alcons and Noise Criteria curves.

The Trinity will offer much more.[/quote]

I have fiddled with STI and %Alcons on the ATB Plus and will be getting into those functions a little deeper this spring on a project. The Noise Criteria curves are useful for capturing a rough snapshot of the noise in a room, and is very useful for that. I mean, if specs call for an NC of 20, it is super easy to do the test and tell the vendor that it fails the test, over this particular octave. I have not purchased a calibration device for my ATB and so have no idea how accurate it remains but agree that it seems to stay calibrated. In retrospect, being the gear slut that I am, I should refine my statements to say that the next money I (personally) spend on test equipment will be on a SMAART rig, rather than the Trinity upgrade. The blinkenlights are quite attractive in red!

Regards,

Dan Timon

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »

I most certainly relate to your gear slut problem. Wink

I do check my ATB occasionally with a B&K calibrator and it has retained calibration very well.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

gridlock

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 09:46:10 PM »

checkout the www.pro-x1.com if your starting in the field of consulting for churches, schools ect.. .This is great equipment to consulidate alot of gear.

ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.